Pulling the Trigger

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Well guys...looks like I have settled on the "new to me boat". '98 Sailfish with twin 225 OX66s and loaded with all of the goodies. Got the deposit on her and if everything goes well I'll be bring her home soon.

I was in the market for an Islander but not that many up for sell.

I have a couple of questions????

1. What kind of fuel use can I expect out of the engines? I'm thinking around 2.0 +/- .25 miles/gallon at around 3,000 RPM.

2. Has anyone ever made the run from Morehead City, NC up to the Albemarle Sound? If so, anything I should watch out for other than the normal stuff (pilings, weather, ect)? The purchase includes a trailer (Float On), but weather permitting I thought it would be a blast to come up the ICWW. Plus get some seat time getting to know the boat. The wife is up for it (now that there is a real head on board) and I'll have an extra hand along for the ride. The charts so the trip to be about 160 miles. So giving an avg cruse speed of about 25 knots I would think about a 6-8 hour run.

Thanks for the help.

HD

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Sounds like a great boat! Congratulations

Just a few things to consider with my experience in delivering "slightly used" boats anything over a half-day run.....

There is an excellent probablilty that something can and will happen, hopefully its minor or doesnt happen at all. In any event make sure you carry your own tools and reasonably conceivable spare parts (filters, oil, etc).

Check for a few marinas along the way in case a stop is necessary.

And most importantly....make sure your insurance and water-towing is set up and active ahead of time. This is something you will have to do eventually and you would not want to be caught without it should something go wrong. (towing is cheap, it can save friendships haha)

Dont forget to have fun and enjoy it!!!

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Thanks Edge.
Good points that I'll put on the list. I do know there are marines along the way (Oriental, Little Washington, NC) and I’ll have them marked out on the chart for safe havens. I have Sea Tow on my overnighter and I’m going to see if I can transfer it to the sailfish. Insurance is a must and I am shopping right now for a policy. So far Progressive is coming in at $1100/yr with a $2500 deductable. I’m checking others to see what they want.

Oh yea, I think it would be a blast to do the trip and wring out the bugs. On the one waters I’ll check out the AP to see how well it works. Should be fun getting to know the boat and what to expect for the upcoming season.

HD

Average Joe

Reaction score
Congratulations HD! Hey question for you, aren't you a member of the Tidewater Grady White Club? If not we'd love to have you. Either way we have a meeting in Norfolk Wednesday evening the 4th and if you can make it.
regards,

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Average Joe said:
Congratulations HD! Hey question for you, aren't you a member of the Tidewater Grady White Club? If not we'd love to have you. Either way we have a meeting in Norfolk Wednesday evening the 4th and if you can make it.
regards,

Howdy Joe and thanks.

Yes, I am a member of TGWC and yes I'm the "Carolina Connection" guy. I talked to you during the Christmas party about our Overnighters. I still love my little ship, but you now how it goes with boats....you're always wanting a bigger one :lol: . I was also talking to Brian about the Sailfish over at Lynnhaven for sell. The boat I'm buying is down in Morehead City. MUCH, Much, BETTER deal, a year newer, better electronics, cleaner, and got a heck of a deal on it.

Hey PM me. I've got a question to ask you.

Len

Average Joe

Reaction score
Hey Len,
I sent you a PM but it doesn't show up in my sent box. If you didn't get it feel free to call me @ 757 641-3556

georgemjr

Reaction score
Hey congrats on the new boat. I also recently picked up a Sailfish ('01 w/ 225's), and I also ran it home through the ocean (southern Jersey to L.I). It wasn't nearly as long of a trip as you are talking about but was a great experience. If you plan on doing it this time of year, I would highly recommend survival suits/raft/sat phone. You can't last long in the water w/ these temps. I also called boat us for insurance on the boat (under 1k)as well as unlimited towing. Fortunately I didn't need it for the trip which went off without a hitch (thanks to Gman for captaining the boat back). Unfortunatley I did need the tow insurance when I ran aground in my home bay when not paying attention :( Good luck, and enjoy the trip...

georgemjr

Reaction score
Sorry, forget the survival gear recommendation, I just realized you'll be inside (although if you have some available it can't hurt). The speed on my fuel consumption gauge wasn't working so I don't have mpg data, but I burn in the upper teens at the rpm you are talking about.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Saillfish is a legend ! Me biased ? How could I be ?

And the 98 has the full running bottom hull, same as the most recent one.

I don't think you will get that kind of fuel consumption, but what the heck, fuel was meant to burn!

Get the motor oil systems fully serviced and checked out, start with fresh oil - dump the oil tanks out first, dump the on board oil tanks too.

Perhaps the VST filters, lower unit pumps and leak test, etc.
Anodes.

Hull needs nothing !!
Let it rip!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll second the oil change-out, that was an expensive lesson for me.

Change ALL filters (there's a lot of them)
Lower unit oil change
Water pump
Tow policy
De-carb
Plugs
Up to date flares
Hand held GPS
Hand held radio
Extra fuel filters

It's safer to asasume the previous owner didn't maintain anything than assume and get stuck. Also you have a known point to reference the servicing.

Lightly loaded in calm (FLAT) seas you might see 2 MPG. Figure 1.4 to 1.7 for a fishing run.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

georgemjr..Yes I'll be running the ICWW. Some of it does take you through the Pamlico Sound. All of these sounds around here can get crazy quick when weather sets in. I know cause I've been out in my Overnighter and had the joy of dealing with 3-4's trying to get back into the North River.
I do have an ERB that I will be putting on the boat before heading out. It is one of the newer ones with the GPS positioning on it. Worse comes to worse I'll just put it on the trailer and drag her home. But man....what a thrill it would be to runn'er home.

So how do you like yours so far?

Bob.

Thanks for the input. I know the 66's are thirsty and I was hoping to be in the at least the 2 mile/gl range. The Survey cam back with high marks. The left engine has a new (Reman) power head with warranty. The broker has all of the service records and I’ll check to see when/if the oil tanks have been flushed.

HD

JOSH S

Reaction score
Did you get the one at morehead marine? I talked to the guy about that boat. If you don't mind me asking, what did they let it go for?

amr72

Reaction score
Concrats on a great boat. But just to clarify, it is likely you will see around 1.4 to 1.5 mpg. Forget about 2 mpg. Those moters are some of the most powerful and reliable outboards ever made, but they are not fuel effecient. Keep in mind that real world 2.0 mpg or better is a difficult standard to meet on ANY twin outboard fishing boat once you get into the 200 and up range. For real world 2.0 you would have to be looking at smaller rigs with twin 150s or singles. Even if you were to repower down the road with 4 strokes or hpdis or optis, you would likely be looking at 1.7 to 1.8 real world numbers, certainly better than 1.4 or 1.5, but not 2.0. Good luck with your delivery. I happen to think the Sailfish is a classic and as a used boat an incredible value, but I am biased :)

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Len,

Major congrats on the big move up in size!

Having had a 250HP OX66, I can certainly testify that they are strong, reliable, and very thirsty.

I think amr72 is pretty close on what you should realistically expect.

Also, bring along a LOT of that brown gold stuff, i.e. Yamalube, because the OX66s love that too..

When are you planning to make the run up?

Brian

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guess I should read the boards more, I've gone back and forth about selling my Islander and its right near you in Manteo. Has a 2007 Suzuki 300 on it.

Congrats on the new boat, sounds nice.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
amr72 said:
Concrats on a great boat. But just to clarify, it is likely you will see around 1.4 to 1.5 mpg. Forget about 2 mpg. Those moters are some of the most powerful and reliable outboards ever made, but they are not fuel effecient. Keep in mind that real world 2.0 mpg or better is a difficult standard to meet on ANY twin outboard fishing boat once you get into the 200 and up range. For real world 2.0 you would have to be looking at smaller rigs with twin 150s or singles. Even if you were to repower down the road with 4 strokes or hpdis or optis, you would likely be looking at 1.7 to 1.8 real world numbers, certainly better than 1.4 or 1.5, but not 2.0. Good luck with your delivery. I happen to think the Sailfish is a classic and as a used boat an incredible value, but I am biased :)

Thanks. I have an OX-66 on my Overnighter and is a far cry better then what it had (carbed 175).

HD

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
Len,

Major congrats on the big move up in size!

Having had a 250HP OX66, I can certainly testify that they are strong, reliable, and very thirsty.

I think amr72 is pretty close on what you should realistically expect.

Also, bring along a LOT of that brown gold stuff, i.e. Yamalube, because the OX66s love that too..

When are you planning to make the run up?

Brian

Thanks Brian.

The Islander I was looking at down in Fla didn't pan out. The guy never called me back so I moved on.

This coming Wed. night sounds good. I'll see you then.

Len

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Greg B said:
Guess I should read the boards more, I've gone back and forth about selling my Islander and its right near you in Manteo. Has a 2007 Suzuki 300 on it.

Congrats on the new boat, sounds nice.

Decent ones are hard to find. The dealer in Morehead told me GW didn't make the Islander anymore.

I like the Islander cause my boat will have to live on a trailer. The Sailfish with it's 9'6" beam makes it a little over sized and in many states you would need a permit to haul it down the road. Thankfully N.C. passed the new law last year.

I go down to Manteo a couple times a month.

HD