Pulpit

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have 2000 Gulfstream 232 and thinking of replacing pulpit. Kind of beat up and I am not a fiberglass guy. Assume GW uses same pulpit on different models but not sure. Where have others gotten their replacements?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
What is wrong with yours?

It's going to be a project to find another one and it may not be in better condition than what you have. I may not be a close fit either and you may have to rework it.

See what you can find but refurbishing the one you have may be best answer. Just have to find a boat glass guy.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Big chips missing (damage before I purchased the boat) on both sides.

Fishtales

Reaction score
They are a custom made part by GW. While potentially shared between models, prob not going to get one from the manufacturer. I'd see if a local glass guy can refurb it for you.,

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That sounds like a repair and refinish job. I see lots of guys looking for hardtops, hatches, bow pulpits and assorted fiberglass parts. They find someone selling one half way across the country, the part is the same age as theirs and in most cases worse condition than what they have. And the shipping is a deal killer. It's worth a look around but it's not likely going to work out.

My hardtop was chipping badly around the edges - common GW failure. I refurbished the top myself and painted it (not gelcoat). It came out looking like new.

Gel Chips.jpeg Gel fail.jpeg Hardtop top 2.jpeg Hardtop underside.jpeg

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
IMO if you were ever going to learn to do fiberglassing, pulpits are right up there with recoring undersides of hatches for things to try yourself.

Grind to clean material, don't try to save pieces of chips, grind them off. Grind out all cracks. Fill and fair and prime and paint. Lots of videos to explain it on youtube.

If you have to pay someone to do it you will decide against it...

And it just might chip off a piece in a different spot in a year and then you'll be pissed

Mine needs the same work on chips. But its not on my high priority list.
I did fill in, glass & paint the channel in it so I could mount a tilt roller. https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/powerwinch-300-capstan.34573/post-253994

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's a company that makes a couple of different designs, as well as a vendor on eBay, though they're showing late April in regards to shipping dates. I doubt they'll be the exact same specs, but might be close enough?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There's also a couple of companies out there that make custom sized bow pulpit's to your specifications, though I imagine those are likely pretty expensive. Here is one such company, of which there are several others out there if you type in "custom bow pulpit" on Google.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I might be convinced to take to someone to repair as I do think it is fixable. Will take off in the fall when I will not care how long it takes to get back. Need to go fishing!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I got my bow pulpit for my 228 from Grady White in 2022.
The pulpit was AUD$2941. I think that included mounting hardware and roller etc.
I modified it to take a 232 through pulpit anchor roller which was AUD$682.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I got my bow pulpit for my 228 from Grady White in 2022.
The pulpit was AUD$2941. I think that included mounting hardware and roller etc.
I modified it to take a 232 through pulpit anchor roller which was AUD$682.
that is crazy pricing. id be building one myself before paying that much

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine had big chunks out of it and cracks. I ground them out to clean material, filled with structural filler, faired and gel coated the first time.
About 2 years later, I decided to put a new top mounted bow roller to accomodate better anchor flipping so it would right itself. Had to fill in the slot again with structural filler from Total Boat and faired, then decided to paint with Interlux. Probably would try the Alex Seal paint if do it again, but it looks brand new! Not a hard or bad job other than removal and re-install.
I have pics somewhere on this site.