Pump out problem

christo15

Reaction score
I feel like all I do is post problems on the forum but I'm always looking for ways to make the boat like new.
So since we bought the boat we've experienced a problem when trying to pump out our waste tank. You can hear a very high pitched noise when the pump is hooked up. This is a real problem. Let me know if you guys know anything. Thanks so much.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
are you talking about a land based pump out or the macerator? if land based, you may be hearing air being sucked into the tank vent. if macerator, there could be a problem with the pump itself. what head system is in your boat? ron

christo15

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

We have a macerator on board. But I was talking about about when we get pumped out from a land-based pump. Now we plugged the vent and the high pitched noise seemed to be coming from where the waste tank is. I just have no idea where to go next. Thanks.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sounds like a loose connection or clamp. possibly on the discharge hose itself. or gasket around the level monitor. i would say "follow your nose" and you will probably id the culprit. i do get the air coming in the vent hose which you can hear during pump out. good luck, ron

Grandpapat

Reaction score
I suspect your vent line is partially or completely plugged and the tank is struggling to find make up air from another source like a leakly fitting during the pump out operation. Do not continue to do this until you clear the vent line because the vacuum can cause the tank to implode. Ever see a crinkly tanker truck or rail car that was emptied without opening the vent line! Larger boats like our 360 have what is called a tank saver valve on the tank top that acts as a check valve allowing air into the tank if the vent line is plugged, but not out as the tank is filled. Not sure about your tank. Seems if it had one you would not hear the high pitch squeal because it is as large as the pump out fitting.