Pumping generator diesel on a 360?

pablor

Reaction score
I just picked up my 360 from Charleston and we had the toughest time getting diesel into the tank using a standard fuel dock diesel nozzle. What is the trick? nobody had a funnel. Do I have to carry my own? Invariably we ended up with diesel on the transom which we had to clean up!

The position of that tank lid is the only complain I have with the boat. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

gerrys

Reaction score
Were you at a high speed nozzle? (Large diameter for fast-filling larger vessels) If that's the case, a funnel may be the answer account it's hard to control the flow of those big babies. If it is a normal size nozzle, try fueling slowly and gradually increasing flow.

You might also want to trace the vent line from the tank to the vent. If it has a bow in it that might trap fuel, that may be your trouble. Raise the bow so as to cause any trapped fuel to flow out. Then try it again. If this does the trick, find a way to raise the vent line to eliminate the bow.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I'll ask the obvious (And absolutely no offense intended) first: Are you sure you were putting the diesel in the diesel tank and not the freshwater fill? I hate to even say that but I've seen it done. The diesel fill is on the port side right next to the fender holder.

Assuming that's not the case it sounds like it was either a very high speed pump or you didn't have the nozzle in as far as it could go. On the 360 the nozzle must slide all the way in for it to take the diesel cleanly. Even at that, as the tabnk fills it is easy to spill it when it gets to the top unless you really slow down and listen for it. I use a regular diesel pump and fill at full speed until it gets near the top...Then I slow way down. It could be what the above poster said as well...A high speed pump for the big boats......Either way, I'm sure you'll overcome this "Hurdle" and learn to like the boat..... :wink:

pablor

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. Yes I have put a few gallons of gas in a rod holder before but this time I was using the transom mounted fill cap next to the fender holder. We stopped at three marinas and none of the nozzles (high speed or low) would even fit in the hole. It would not even go in a quarter inch. It seems that the hole curves down towards the tank and the little chain for the cap was in the way. We ended up using a funnel at the fourth marina. It almost seemed like the wrong part was used at the factory because only a gas nozzle fits. Any ideas? The genny has 6 hours on it so the previous owner never filled up the tank after getting the boat from the dealer...

Banana River View

Reaction score
What year is your 360? I have an 06 model and have no problem getting a high speed nozzle to fit. I think GW changed the filler size at one time. I remember a thread on this site a while back about other models having the same issue as yourself. Check with GW and see if they will replace your unuseable filler.

Also, remeber the the diesel tank only holds 12 gallons so it does not take long to fill at a high speed pump. Diesel foams and will spray all over if you let the tank fill and hope the auto turn off is fast enough to stop the flow. Trust me, it is not...BRV

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
BRV...I'm pretty sure (Actually positive) that the diesel tank on a 360 is 23 gallons....It's 12 or 13 on a 330......

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The early genset fills required the use of a jery can to fill the tank. I just filled mine last weekend. The marina diesel nozzles are too big. They habve since changed to a larger fill. In fact GW sent me a kit for the new fill at n/c but I haven't had a chance to install. The large nozzles will fit this fill but I still believe you need to be careful about the flow amount.

pablor

Reaction score
that makes a lot of sense. I will call GW to request mine. I dont want to be carrying a can around...

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I have a 2006...And it was an early production....Never needed to change the fill......You might want to measure what you have first and see if GW can tell you whether or not that is the problem...

pablor

Reaction score
Called Grady. Early production 2005 and 2006 shipped with 1.5 in filler opening. This fits standard diesel nozzles but not high speed. They have a retrofit for 2" filler that they are shipping to me a N/C. All new production ships with 2" filler. Nothing internally needs to change. He said that 1.5in is prevalent in north carolina which I have not found to be the case.

Thanks for everyone's help...

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This forum and these boats are GREAT. I had the same problem yesterday on my Marlin 300 (2005). I had to use a funnel. I had no idea how much diesel was in tank because I bought the boat in January and the generator had limited use (about 12 hours). I then remebered this forum and this issue coming up.
I called Grady today and they are shipping me the retrofit. They said if you have problems or questions do not hesitate to call and they will help. As Darth Vader would say: Impressive.

pablor

Reaction score
in order to put in the retrofit, you have to make the cutout on the transom bigger. A template is provided. The rest looks easy...