Purchase choices gulfstream

Brigator

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy a Grady gulf stream and I have gotten it down to two choices. I was wondering what you guys think. Price and condition are equal

1. 1989 with a 2005 mercury verado 275 4 stroke with a warranty (2 years)
2. 1994 with 2 150 1994 yamaha's.

I mostly fish offshore and or take the kids to the islands.

Well what do you guys think?

Thanks
Brian

Bokat

Reaction score
Brian,

My vote is for the 94 model....SeaV2 hull and twins is the main reason. I think this boat performs better with 2 motors and rides better with the newer design hull. I know some folks on here say it works OK with 1 motor but I prefer the extra bite with 2 props in the water. Two motors makes maneuvering easier, especially in the wind. Also, if you are going to the islands you have redundancy with two motors. You will like the boat. Good luck with your decision.

DB

Reaction score
All in favor of the twin motors....say aye....aye, aye, aye....all opposed....the ayes have it.

grady23

Reaction score
I have a '97 Gulfstream with twin 150's on a bracket . One of the other reasons for the twin setup is the boat will get on plane MUCH faster and cruise at a lower RPM . Down side is the maintenance on 2 engines. You say you want to go off-shore --- 2 ENGINES IF AVAILABLE. You may or may not be able to get on plane with just 1 engine, but I've already had 3 situations where I lost 1 engine and was able to get back to port safely on 1 engine. The Sea-Vee II hull is a better handling boat also. If your a gear-head, you'll still be able to do many many things for service on the older engines. My 2-stroke do smoke when first started, but once they warm up it's not a problem. The fuel consumption is 1.7 - 2.0 Gals/mile at a 26 MPH cruise in fairly calm water. I can also shut off 1 engine and troll on the other and only use 1.8/hr trolling at 3 knts. I would have a compression check done on both engines if you want to buy the twins. Compression should be at or above 120PSI on all cylinders.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No question - go with the twins - that is a great package for the Gulfstream and 2004 Yamahas have a long way to go assuming they were taken care of - Good Luck

Brigator

Reaction score
Update-- I put a deposit on the one with the twins. All good pending sea trial and inspection. Now for the fun question. Can my jeep grand 2003 with the 4.7 v8 tow it? Any opinions?

Brian ( soon to be Grady owner)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
From a Seminole point of view. Get the twin engine boat, plus the 1994 hull is likely a CV2 hull and the 1989 is not. The CV2 hull is a significant improvement in design. You can change the motors, but the hull is the hull.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your Jeep might tow it but not very safely. You are looking at over 6000lbs. A good 3/4 ton truck is more in order. You have to think about stopping that rig at highway speeds more than pulling away from a stop. Also stiff cross-winds can be dangerous. I pull mine with a diesel Excursion without any issues but I do have to keep a eye on the trans. temp. Other than that you are going to love your Gulfstream!! keep us posted. Joe.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
To add to yankeecause..
You also will need permits to tow it if you want to be legal. It is 9' 3". When you add your gear, fuel, ice, etc. you'll hit way North of 6000 lbs. A 3/4 or full-ton diesel rig is your best bet, especially if you are going any distance.

Bokat

Reaction score
Brian,

The short answer to your towing question is no. My Gulfstream with twin 175's, trailer and full fuel (148 gals.) weights just over 8,000 lbs. I don't think your Jeep is rated to pull that much weight. I used to pull it with a 1500 Chevy Suburban and it did OK, but not great. I now pull with a 2500 Chevy Duramax P/U. It does great. The stopping power is probably more important than the pulling power. Have you gotten the boat yet? You may want to have someone with a heavier duty vehicle pick it up until you can upgrade. You'll love the boat.