PURCHASED the 1995 Islander!!

abielecki

Reaction score
Hello All,

Well, I ended up purchasing the 1995 Islander and couldn’t be happier, with the hull. The V-X 250hp Yamaha is loud, sucks fuel and oil is very loud and seems like not enough engine for the boat. That being said it fires right up and has been meticulously maintained from the start.

So now I am at the stage of looking into repowering options, notably twins like your setup. It looks like a good amount of work but something I feel is well within the realm of my being able to do mechanically.

I’ll be searching for twin Yamaha 150’s or 200’s.

Call me crazy but I love, love, love the hull but am looking for a bit more power to move from bunker school to bunker school, get out to that 30/40 mile tuna waiting for me and for those outings with extended family. (134 gal fuel tank :-( )

I’m almost afraid to ask you for advice but if you have any let it fly :)

Thanks.

abielecki

Reaction score
Hi Bob - Thanks for your reply!

I just stumbled on someone repowering from 2006 Yamaha HPDI 200's to Suzuki 250's.

I was able to secure the Yamaha engins with all the riggings (guages, oil tanks, everything) for 12,750 delivered from FL to NJ.

I spoke with Grady White and the conversion (they convinced me) seems pretty straight forward.

I intend to add a third battery and need to figure how it and the two oil tanks will fit under the back bench. Do you have pictures of how your components are laid out?

Also are you happy with your 2006's? I heard the two 200's could potentially be more economical than my single 1995 250 2-stroke, Hmmmmm.

Andrew.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Your model was sold new with single or twins, most left dealer with singles, as the boat was less expensive, same goes for Gulfstream, for same reason.

The 200 HPDIs represent the best motor ever built in 2 stroke - 200HP range, or ever to be built 2 or 4 stroke ever to come, IMHO. Suggest you have motors fully serviced by Yamaha dealer before use. Dump oil tanks and hand wipe and start with new Yamaha oil.

I doubt the fuel goal you mentioned unless running the OX66 WOT vs. same speed as twins. The HPDI sweet spot is 4k rpms, at that you will be doing 35 + MPH, I bet. That may be same speed flat out with OX66. If you troll and can do so with one motor, the fuel savings there.
Annual maintenance cost is double, however

gw204

Reaction score
She'll be a good runner with those Z200s!

When I repowered my old 252 with used 200 OX66s, I cleaned the oil tanks out by swishing around a 1/2 qt. or so of diesel in each (took the oil pumps out first), followed by hot soapy water, followed by numerous rinses of clean hot water. Then I let them sit in the sun for several hours to dry. Those tanks were clean enough to store Bud Light in when I got done with 'em.

IMG_8017.jpg

I even removed the oil pumps and ran the diesel through them, followed by some fresh TCW3 to make sure they were clean.

Make sure you put new filters on those tanks and before you mount the trays, put some plastic washers on the bottoms to keep them elevated (helps to fight the rust that can...and will...eat them up). I think I even put some plastic washers under the mouting screw heads to keep them from scratching the paint.

IMG_8012.jpg