Purchasing a 1995 Spirit 175 CC

yukonpete

Reaction score
I have have an offer accepted on a 1995 Spirit 175 CC with a circa 1995 115 hp Johnson Oceanrunner, which I believe was factory rigged by GW. The seller is the second owner. The boat appears to be in great shape and has always been maintained from the selling dealer in Seattle, Jacobsons. The deal is subject to a mechanical inspection which I am currently having done. The seller doesn't want to do a sea trial, so I am going on faith a bit here.

Can anyone provide me with thoughts on this boat, or the older two stroke power, as far as handling, performance, etc. I plan to use the boat for protected waters (e.g. Puget Sound) or larger lakes fishing and some limited family boating with my young family.

Also, what would be a recommended kicker size? I figure 6 hp or 8 hp should be fine.

I have read many posts on this site in the past few days and have found them very informative. This is my first Grady though, and have alot to learn.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I bought one of these for my son last fall....It's a 93 with an 89 110 Evinrude. Solid hull and rides like a bigger boat.....I doubt you'll get a kicker on this hull without pulling a scupper under water.....Even if you do it'll take water through the scupper when anyone is near the stern. Having said that...My sons boat runs great with the 110....We rebuilt the boat this winter with new hardware, new thru-hulls, hoses, etc....Transom was fine as was the fuel tank but you will want to check ALL of these things carefully before you buy as some can be expensive repairs.....Why can't they give you a sea trial?...That's "Fishy"....If you're in love with the boat and have a good price I'd at least get a surveyor to look it over.....All in all though I'm very im pressed with this hull...We just splashed my sons this weekend after our winter project..

yukonpete

Reaction score
Thanks. Seller has agreed to a sea trial, assuming mechanical inspection checks out ok. Apparently the prior owner ran a 6 hp two stroke kicker, and there is an oil feed system for it, right next to the oil feed reservior for the main motor in the port side aft rigging compartment. I don't know if that put the scuppers under as you suggest, but like you say Im sure if you had two guys my size at the stern that would probably do it.

I have heard about transom issues. What are the potential fuel tank issues you reference - just rot - I think they were aluminum tanks?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would have a problem sea trialing a boat for sale unless it was sitting in the marina, or I was going out that day anyway.

Beforehand I expect to see asgreed upon price and hard cash 10% deposit from buyer non-refundable, because I don't want to hear later - "oh the noise is too loud, my wife won't like it" request for refund. Bunch of tire kickers. I don't have time for these guys. I'm not a professional salesman or dealer selling it (at their added commissions). Then it makes sense and is expected.

The sea trial I allow is to confirm fitness, not to try out different boats - I tell these guys off the bat (on the phone) the boat is for sale to someone who already knows they want the Grady model, can't help you if not. Go to dealer to try out different models, different brands.

My 20 ft Mako sold - I did a sea trial because it was in marina. My 20 ft Overnigher, no sea trial, the guy didn't even request it. Boat was for sale in my driveway on blocks.

My two 200 HP Johnnies sold off the transom in my driveway, the guy didn't even ask me to start them up, no tests at all he asked for. Even though, I checked the compression all cylinders before posting sale.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The tanks can rust if there was any water in the hull....You'll know because you WILL smell a STRONG fuel odor....Or, if you get a lot of water in the fuel.....There should be an access port inside the center console which will give you access to the top of the tank where the fuel lines to the engine connect. Open it and take a long wiff.....No strong odor....You are OK for now....Strong odor....Could be a problem with the tank or fuel lines....Lines are easy to replace on this boat but tank is not as you need to cut the CC out because there is no natural floor seam......

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pete: Our first Grady was a '92 Spirit 175 with a Johnson 90 on it. We used the heck out of that boat and had great times. We did mostly near shore trolling (1 - 10 miles out) and tried to keep to days with seas 3' or less. We made two trips to Bimini in that boat. On one return trip, we were heading directly into 2'-4' sea with wind about 10-15 knots from the northwest. We got wet and pretty well bounced around for three hours, but the boat was fine.

I would do some experimenting before I put a kicker on the back. See if you can mimic the weight before you fasten anything. I'd be concerned that the weight would alter the ride.

Also, if this boat doesn't already have them, add some Bennet trim tabs.

Rob

pilotart

Reaction score
in 1996, I became the second owner of a 1991 Spirit 175 equipped with the Yamaha 90HP.
This boat has been trouble-free for 17 years and the only repair needed has been replacement of some wiring.

The Yamaha needed a cylinder head in '98 (blamed on too much 'trolling' low speed use), so I added a 'low speed' engine.

In 1998, I removed the second battery (from port stern) and added an older (1986) Honda BF100S on a sealed and through bolted 2x8 hardwood board alongside the Yamaha.

There is not a problem with the transom weight of this rig which would be less than the weight of the largest GW recommended engine for the Spirit 175.

Yamaha has been trouble free for ten years now and I just had to replace the little exhaust pipe on the Honda.

No additional steering connection was necessary, as the Yamaha acts as an excellent 'rudder' when Honda Powered.

That pull-start Honda will charge a totally dead main battery enough to start the Yamaha after less than a :15 minute run.

That '10 Hp' Four-Stroke has been used for most of the 'slow-going' (up to 5Kt, 30% of total running time)
and over-all (12 year) fuel consumption average has been 2.79 GPH gasoline and .125 Quart/Hour of TCW-3.

Previous MotorBoat had been an old Aristrocraft Nineteen w/Mercruiser 120 and Grady White's construction and quality is in another class.

the GW is also far superior in choppy sea conditions, but it is a very wet ride in comparison with the old Nineteen.

That would be something to look for on your 'sea-trial' :)

yukonpete

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice gents. Sea trial went well. Bought the boat, but haven't had it out yet. Will see if it needs tabs -- no on there right now. Further reports and photos to follow. Thanks again for all of the input a received from this forum.