Purchasing a 1998 adventure 20

Brownbagger

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Hi, new to the forum.

Found a 1998 208, made an offer of 7k pending a sea trial. I already looked at the boat and it's very clean, everything works, well cared for. Main concern is that its powered by a Yamaha 4 stroke 130. I'm not buying before I sea trial it but any thoughts on whether this is definitely underpowered or could be suitable engine would be greatly appreciated.

Also if there is anything recommended by experienced owners that I might want to look out for on my final inspection/ test-drive?

Comes with all canvas enclosure/ radar arch, full electronics, full cushion set

Thanks very much

seasick

Reaction score
Interesting question. The 130 based on what I read is weighs in at about 380 pounds. If that is true it is about 100 pounds lighter than the 150 4s. That said, I think the 150 is underpowered for the 208 hull.
I would suggest that you do sea trial the set up. Find out how must fuel is in the tank and bring along a friend. With half a tank of gas and 3 people on board (assuming the seller is on also) you should get a good idea of how it will perform.
The difference between a half tank of gas and a full one is like adding 1 1/2 adults.
You want to get an idea of time to plane as well as minimum speed to stay on plane.
A lot depends on how you plan to load the boat. If you will normally carry 3 or 4 people and/or a full tank of gas, the 130 might be a bit small but probably better than the older 4s 150. The newer inline 4 cyl 150 is a really good match to that boat.

Good luck and please let us know how the sea trial goes.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick, I think you meant the 4 cyl in line 200. I have it on my 208 and believe it to be a good match. Cheers, trapper

seasick

Reaction score
Seasick, I think you meant the 4 cyl in line 200. I have it on my 208 and believe it to be a good match. Cheers, trapper
Yup. I meant the inline 200hp! Thanks for keeping me honest:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
20 year hull. Make sure the core and stringers are solid.