Purchasing a Used Grady

jrem

Reaction score
Hey All,

New to the forums here and looking for some advice. I've done some searching and read quite a few threads on the topic, but can always use some "customized" advice.

As a child my family had a Offshore 24 for a handful of years (loved it) and now it's time for me to get into the boat market. I've been looking at Grady's in the 22-25', and have had a particular liking towards the Gulfstream. My particulars are that I like the walkaround, and would prefer having a hardtop as well has having the stern seating area. So having a Gulfstream isn't a dealbreaker, but from what i've seen, its generally a great setup.

I've seen a few boats in my price range with varying hull age and engine age, but after having a recent conversation with a family friend, he suggested that any outboard over 10 years is basically a waste unless it's truly an underused boat. Anyone have thoughts on that? The other debate is whether or not to seek out the newer hull over the older hull - but for me, I *think* it's less of an issue than engine age/usage.

Would appreciate any advice~!

..Thanks..

-Josh

3rd Day

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I'm the proud owner of a 93' 232GT Gulfstream. I purchased the boat from the second owner who provided details about the first owner. My boat lived all but the last 7 years on a lake in the middle portion of the state and belonged to an older couple who cruised the lake and toted the grandkids around. The second owner fished offshore a few seasons and then got out of the big water game. To make a long story short, I purchased an older boat that was in excellent shape both mechanically and cosmetically with a guestimate of low hours. My mechanic did a compression check, charging system check and surveyed all electrical components and fluids prior to purchase. After giving her a clean bill of health, We did an in water check ride and went ahead with the purchase. What I bought was an all original boat (canvas,cushions and even the owners manual) that had been well maintained and it showed. Don't be afraid to buy an older boat that when properly surveyed will deliver what you are expecting. Look around for a post 93' Gulfstream with the cv2 hull. This is one awesome 23' boat with a lot of bang for the buck. Good hunting.

jrem

Reaction score
Thanks 3rd! - I think that advice makes sense, a bit hard without much general boating background to make the proper assumptions and guesses on particulars, but with some friendly advice and the right mechanic/surveyor, that shouldn't be a problem.

My next big question will be weather I truly need two engines or not. I do not anticipate any true offshore fishing, but will be out on the south shore of long island in the bay with some occasional just out of the inlet fishing.

3rd Day said:
Welcome to the site. I'm the proud owner of a 93' 232GT Gulfstream. I purchased the boat from the second owner who provided details about the first owner. My boat lived all but the last 7 years on a lake in the middle portion of the state and belonged to an older couple who cruised the lake and toted the grandkids around. The second owner fished offshore a few seasons and then got out of the big water game. To make a long story short, I purchased an older boat that was in excellent shape both mechanically and cosmetically with a guestimate of low hours. My mechanic did a compression check, charging system check and surveyed all electrical components and fluids prior to purchase. After giving her a clean bill of health, We did an in water check ride and went ahead with the purchase. What I bought was an all original boat (canvas,cushions and even the owners manual) that had been well maintained and it showed. Don't be afraid to buy an older boat that when properly surveyed will deliver what you are expecting. Look around for a post 93' Gulfstream with the cv2 hull. This is one awesome 23' boat with a lot of bang for the buck. Good hunting.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get the newest, lowest houred boat you can afford. Twins vrs single is a matter of choice. You say that you do not plan offshore trips, but as a previous L.I. southshore (Moriches) boater, you will most likely be venturing out in the big water sooner than you think, mostly to escape all the boat traffic. Maybe consider a single with a kicker, and Seatow.

jrem

Reaction score
Thanks Vero - I've looked at a couple with single and a kicker.

Do you guys think a pre-cv2 hull is a deal breaker? ie, An older hull with a newer engine?

VeroWing said:
Get the newest, lowest houred boat you can afford. Twins vrs single is a matter of choice. You say that you do not plan offshore trips, but as a previous L.I. southshore (Moriches) boater, you will most likely be venturing out in the big water sooner than you think, mostly to escape all the boat traffic. Maybe consider a single with a kicker, and Seatow.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My hull is pre CV2 and I'm happy with it. My brother inlaw has the newer CV2 hull and I honestly can't tell any difference. The newer ones are more highly regarded though, and many owners can tell you the ride is softer and dryer.

232 GULF

Reaction score
I saw you were interested in my 2000 Gulfstream. I think it fits your criteria very well. IMO the boat is very underused (about 320 total hours on boat and motor) and the hull/interior of the boat is in mint condition. Let me know if you're interested or I can offer you any other insight.

Jas

Reaction score
“a family friend, he suggested that any outboard over 10 years is basically a waste unless it's truly an underused boat.”

That’s a pretty broad, myopic statement and unless he’s paying for the boat, I’d seek out further insight. There are a lot of excellent top end manufactures whose boats will provide many many years of enjoyable use after the ten year mark. Obliviously you will need a critical eye in making your choice but don’t let that advice be your guiding benchmark.

Yes the Gulfstream is great boat. Fine a good solid hull, a good power plant and your half way there.

jrem

Reaction score
I am interested, and its a great looking boat - It's just a bit outside my price range. Trying to balance the CV2 with a newer engine over an older hull and newer engine seems to be the tipping point in price point right now.

Would like the newer hull, but don't believe I have to have it, just need to find the right one that been well maintained if i go that route. Otherwise, I'm trying to patient and diligent with searching for a good deal.

Thanks!

232 GULF said:
I saw you were interested in my 2000 Gulfstream. I think it fits your criteria very well. IMO the boat is very underused (about 320 total hours on boat and motor) and the hull/interior of the boat is in mint condition. Let me know if you're interested or I can offer you any other insight.

jrem

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Offshore 24 ever had the CV-2 - I did some searching, but still not sure on this. Does anyone happen to know if any of the late hulls on the Offshore got the CV-2?

Thanks!

uncljohn

Reaction score
an "underused" engine can be more problematic than an "overused" one. The worst thing you can do to an outboard is to not use it. So be careful and don't jump at a 6 y.o. outboard with only a hundred or so hours on it. You should expect 50-100 hrs/year as normal use.

I have a pre-CV hull. It is somewhat wet, but I wouldn't let that be the dealbreaker. Also don't let a 4-stroke be a deal breaker. You can find plenty of Gradys out there w/ Yamaha 2 strokes, just make sure its an EFI and not carb'd.