purging air after new fuel tank

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
so as most of you know, i have been working on replacing the fuel tank. im also replacing the lines from the tank to the racors. obviously, this new line will have air in it. how do i purge the air from the system, and where does the air come out?

sorry if this is a rookie question, havent been around outboards since i was about 4 and never did a tank before. still learning how the outboard fuel systems work

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You'll just use the in-line hand-squeeze priming pump to push fuel all the way to the motor where there's a valve that lets air out but not fuel. Will take a bit of pumping, especially if you have an in-line fuel/water separator filter, but eventually you will be able to pump it until the bulb gets hard.

Reactions: Ekea

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Fill both the engine and can fuel filters with fresh fuel. Probably should change the primer bulbs out too. Prime away! When you get the engines running they will do a great job getting the last of the air out.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
IF your primer bulb is working and IF you have no leaking fuel lines, air will be removed from the fuel line and be replaced with fuel as you pump the primer bulb. Air will be discharged from carburetor bowl vents of a carbureted engine or from the vapor separator, or similar device depending on manufacturer, tank on EFI/DFI engines. Air will stop discharging from either when fuel has eventually filled the bowl/tank to such level that the float/needle(s) close the inlet ports. You are not talking about a lot of air. For example, a 10' length of 3/8" ID hose has a volume of about 8 oz. Many, especially older, primer bulbs don't like to "pump" air since the typical ball-type check valves sometimes don't seal well when dry. Orienting the primer bulb vertically, with outlet side up, can help check valves seal. Adding fuel to the filter canister might help "prime" the primer bulb as well.