Put a deposit on a 283 release - sea trial Sat

whyter

Reaction score
Greetings,

I put a deposit on a 2004 283 release today, and was wondering if anyone would chime in with thoughts on the boat. It has about 1000 hours on the twin F225's, with all supporting documentation for the servicing (1000 hour just completed). Furuno RD-30, Furuno NavNet Chartplotter, Icom M502 VHF, Custom Powder Coated T-Top, Front + Side Curtains, AP (not sure the model), never fished. This boat is immaculate - and I mean insanely clean. It shows nicer than the new 283 on the lot, I think it's the powder coated t-top that makes it look even nicer. Asking price was $59K, paying $55K - Pending a good sea trial and surveying.

I just wanted some opinions on the boat, price, etc. This will be my 3rd boat, but first Grady - although the others were wake boarding boats not fishing. 1000 hours on the 225's? What can I expect for the life on these? Is there anything specific to this model I should look out for? I'm looking for a good boat to take 60 miles out in the gulf from SW Florida, and this seems to fit the bill for me.

Would love some feedback!

Thanks,
Rob

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2004 Sailfish and 60 miles is no issue - mine has a 220 gallon gas tank - the price seems right - 1000 hours sounds like a lot but you can see on previous posts that many commercial guys havve more than twice that - the electronics sound pretty good too - the Nav Net has been a good tool for me - good luck

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd rather have a motor that someone used and took care of than one that sat and was neglected. Averaging almost 150 hours a year and the boat still looks immaculate says the owner took care of the boat.

It's plenty of boat for 60 miles off, just be smart in picking the days and have a EPIRB or PLB and if you're fishing a raft (I wouldn't want to be in my chum slick).

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It was an issue with F225's about corrosion. I believe was in 2005 but you should investigate that a little further. That boat will handle more than you want, so yes, boat is big enough to take further. Good luck and hope survey and ride works out for you.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You probably already own the boat by now so I'll start out with Congrats On your purchase. I have an 09' 283 and love it. I sold a 282 Sailfish to buy my 283. The cabin was a huge waste of space for me. I can drift inlets comfortably on my 283 solo. I couldn't do that on my sailfish. I've been 70 miles offshore numerous times on my 283 and like "Nothing Else Matters" said, Just pick your day. I've run out in 3-4 footers and been caught coming in in 5-6 foot seas a few times with no worries. The wings get alot of use up here in Long Island but with them I was fishing upto December 15th. I think your 283 has the twin fuel tanks with 220 gallons as I only have one tank with 200 gallons and I also have 250's and have run 90 miles out, trolled all day and 90 miles back to Shinnecock Inlet and used 147 gallons of fuel. I ran out at 35 mph. and back at the same or maybe a bit faster with four guys and alot of gear. So I think you could do the same trip with even a larger reserve. It's a great day boat and simple to run and docking is so easy you look like a pro every time. It doesn't catch the wind like the 282 did. The only improvements that I would make were addressed on the new 271. The top of the dash is so far away and you cant put anything up there and need binoculars to see the compass and the closing electronics box wastes alot of space although I think it keeps the valuable electronics from being removed in a hurry. LOL I have 2-12" Garmins in my box. And as someone else said, Carry an Epirb or a PLB. I have one in my ditch bag.

And this is for everyone out there, Please get your DSC equipped radios hooked up to your chartplotters correctly. A DSC radio goes for about 150.00 and up nowadays and makes The Coast Guards job much easier in locating you when you do need assistance. Get your MSSI number free from Boat U.S. and keep that updated as well. If you change cell numbers make sure to go online and update your info. I also carry a handheld VHF w/ DSC as well and a handheld Garmin GPS too. I also have a track line in my handheld in case I actually need to use it. I came back in the dark once from a local spot called the Race by it one night on my last boat. I lost all electronics due to a faulty wire. Another thing to keep in mind is, Know what is powered from where? And keep spare fuses. On my 283 I had one of the dash board push in circuit breakers fail and I lost some lights. I have a cheapo test light I keep on board and quickly found the problem and swapped the load wire to a non essentual switch. I think I used the spreader light circuit. I repaired it properly before the next outing. I've also had the 50 Amp main breaker fail as well but that was at the dock. That's back in the battery switch panel. The stud actually corroded and pulled out of the breaker. I now cover all connections in Di Electric grease. I know I swayed away abit from your question about going 60 miles off shore but I think it's very important that you go out aware that anything can happen.

Good luick with your new boat, Bob

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat is probably your by now so congratulations.

I have a 283 with 250's and it has become my favorite of the three Grady's I have owned. The 250's are great but I think the 225's are more than sufficient. I have run out 70 to 80 miles and back with adequate fuel reserves, I have a single 200 gallon tank. I run at 30 MPH to conserve fuel but the boat is capable of much more if you have something chasing you.

My only complaint is limited or no access to the pumps and bilge float switches but I have never seen a boat with good access to everything.

Again, congrats and enjoy your Grady.