Put a Pair of Aluminum Four-Blade Props on my Sailfish 282 Today

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On each of my previous boats, I've carried an inexpensive, lightweight aluminum "get home" prop. Usually about the same size as the prop Grady put on the boat. I hadn't done that with the Sailfish yet, but wanted that done before going through the Big Bend area of FL this summer on the last leg of the Loop. I've heard tell of numerous unmarked rocks, especially around Homosassa, a place I very much want to see.

I've wanted to try a four blade prop and this was a relatively inexpensive way to do it.

I settled on a Solas Amita 4 because they're very inexpensive (cheap) as props go and they come pre-hubbed. The Solas online prop selector gave me 14.5" dia x 17 pitch for the Sailfish. I confirmed this with an email to solas.

Turns out, that isn't quite enough prop for the boat, at least as I had it loaded today. It was just me, half fuel, five rods and assorted tackle.

For comparison, my 16-year old, kinda rough shape Saltwater Series II, 15 1/4" x 19 pitch has a sweet spot of about 3500 rpm, getting 25-26 mph and 1.7 mpg. However, my boat tops out at 5400 rpm and 44mph. It follows the Yamaha/Grady test data until the upper rpms. A mystery to both me and the dealer.

My numbers for the Solas aren't completely fair because it was a bit choppy in the ocean. Then I ran in a narrow portion of the ICW with other boat traffic. I really couldn't take my eyes off the water or hands off the trim tabs long enough to dial in the most efficient engine trim for the props at that speed.

Ocean Running into a 2' chop:
  • 4200 rpm 23 mph 1.5 mpg
  • 4400 rpm 27 mph 1.6 mpg
  • 4800 rpm 33 mph 1.5 mpg (with the wind)

Running Inside in narrow ICW:
  • 4500 rpm 28 mph 1.6 mpg
  • 5000 rpm 33 mph 1.5 mpg
  • 6000 rpm 41 mph 1.0 mpg

A couple of thoughts. This is my first time running the props, so I didn't get the best from them yet. They may be a bit undersized, but they're light and will fit easily in an underberth compartment, so I'll keep them (I don't really have much of a choice!). They fit right onto the prop shaft with no additional washers or spacers.

From today's impression, I think the boat came on plane at a higher speed than my SS 3-blades. Surprising to me. With some time spent dialing in the sweet spots, I'm pretty sure these props could produce 1.7 mpg, even though they're a bit undersized. I saw 1.7 a couple of times, but it didn't hold it for long enough to count. If true, that makes these cheapo aluminum props yield the same mpg at a couple mph higher than my Yamaha props. But also turning about 1,000 more rpms. Setting aside the aluminum flex and slippage for a moment, which is better, theoretically?

(I'm not keeping these aluminum props on the boat after my Yamaha props get re-hubbed and some kind of tumbling polish to restore like new shine and to protect against surface rust once again with reasonable care? I have attempted to polish these 16-year old props by hand and I'm not impressed with the results.)

At 6,000 rpm, there was just a tad left. I bumped it up to 6100 rpms for a few seconds. There was very little to go after that, but I wasn't going to push it.

In my imaginationation, I thought I noticed a bit more maneuvering control around the dock, even from the undersized props.

I also thought these props were a bit quieter going into gear than my old props. Neither are SDS, so don't know why that would be be, but I sure thought so.

So that sums up my several hours experience with a pair of inexpensive four-blade, "get-home" props.

Oh, most of my time was spent drifting live goggle-eyes and they did great at that - no goggle-eyes got wound around the props :cool:

Rob

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If I'm understanding your question, same mpg at higher speed = more range.
As for the lower noise shifting, less mass in the prop will result in less noise.

Reactions: wahoo33417

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Rob,
It's a hard comparison.Its not like you are comparing two identical props made from different materials. The rake and cup are not the same so material difference ,while I think matters, may not be an issue here . Though with that said aluminum flexes more and is thus less effecient. There is a lot of load on those aluminum props and based on your assessment your boat is under propped running those aluminum ones. Stainless can be repaired more easily . I would just run the steel ones and keep the aluminum ones as intended , to get you home . I would contact Doc Stressor and get some local knowledge of that area . He fishes out of Homasassa regularly.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Family and Bob, thanks for your responses. Bob, I will contact Doc Stressor. I didn't know he ran out of Homosassa. I'm told that there is a certain rock, right at the edge of the channel, that is famous for taking out props and lower units for those who wander just a tad outside. And its on a turn.

I'll start this trip in St. Marks. Maybe I should just put the aluminum props on at the start until I get past these rocky channels!

Rob

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Family and Bob, thanks for your responses. Bob, I will contact Doc Stressor. I didn't know he ran out of Homosassa. I'm told that there is a certain rock, right at the edge of the channel, that is famous for taking out props and lower units for those who wander just a tad outside. And its on a turn.

I'll start this trip in St. Marks. Maybe I should just put the aluminum props on at the start until I get past these rocky channels!

Rob
When I lived in Florida and had my 192 I went over to Homasassa a couple times. I stayed between the markers and yes it's shallow over there. I have explored around the mouth of the Suwannee River too . I have kayaked around St. Marks but that was near shore and stuff. I love the Panhandle area very old Florida and quiet from St. Marks to Cedar Key down to Homasassa. The largest trout I have ever caught in my life are around Crystal River and Homasassa. We were like 8- 10 miles off in like 15- 20 feet of water (tops) sea grass bottoms and pretty darn clear water. Sounds like a fun adventure.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bob: Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing that part of FL. I spoke with a Tow Boat US captain over there and he told me which channels my Sailfish could handle okay and some channels that I could only navigate on the upper reaches of the tide. I want to avoid those, because we'll want to come in when we get there, especially if T-Storms are chasing. And I like to leave at first light.

A friend from St. Louis is going with me. He gets seasick. I told him there are no waves in the Gulf :) .

As long as we keep moving with wind in his face I believe he'll be fine.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Bob: Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing that part of FL. I spoke with a Tow Boat US captain over there and he told me which channels my Sailfish could handle okay and some channels that I could only navigate on the upper reaches of the tide. I want to avoid those, because we'll want to come in when we get there, especially if T-Storms are chasing. And I like to leave at first light.

A friend from St. Louis is going with me. He gets seasick. I told him there are no waves in the Gulf :) .

As long as we keep moving with wind in his face I believe he'll be fine.
I haven't looked at a chart for that area in a while but one of the qualities I find beauty in is the near shore scenery where land and sea meet. Problem is it's hard to to experience that interface from 5 miles off. In many places you can't get that close to shore because of water depth and such . It's still pretty none the less . Sounds like a fun adventure.

Take photos and post here when you do that leg.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Of course I'll post here as I have wifi!

I do see on the Active Captain charts that some of the rocks have humorous names. Like million dollar rock! I suspect that crab and/or fish traps will pose a challenge in that area as well.

Departing from St. Marks, we have reservations in Steinhatchee and then Homosassa. Reservations were made on New Year's day at 8:00 am when the lines opened. I'm told they fill up within a couple of hours. I sure hope weather allows me to keep the schedule that room/slip availability dictated. Summer scallop season has become like lobster mini season in the keys.

Once we're out of the scallop grounds I believe we'll be okay to just go as we go, my much preferred way to travel.