Putting a Yamaha 150HP on a Adventure 208?

DonInMA

Reaction score
Hi All, My Yamaha 200 hp HPDI crapped out for good.

My first choice for a repower would be a Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke, but no one has one for sale, new or used, in the southeastern MA area. There is a leftover Yamaha 4 stroke 150 hp at a local boatyard which would be very convenient. I cruise at roughly 2/3 throttle, depending on sea conditions, and don't really care about top end speed. Most of the time it is just me and my buddy fishing, but sometimes I take family and friends out (7 people) and I am afraid of the boat shlogging along.
Would I regret putting on a 150 hp?

Advice appreciated!

seasick

Reaction score
DonInMA said:
Hi All, My Yamaha 200 hp HPDI crapped out for good.

My first choice for a repower would be a Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke, but no one has one for sale, new or used, in the southeastern MA area. There is a leftover Yamaha 4 stroke 150 hp at a local boatyard which would be very convenient. I cruise at roughly 2/3 throttle, depending on sea conditions, and don't really care about top end speed. Most of the time it is just me and my buddy fishing, but sometimes I take family and friends out (7 people) and I am afraid of the boat shlogging along.
Would I regret putting on a 150 hp?

Advice appreciated!
You will be greatly dissapointed. I didn't see what year hull but that motor is heavier than the 150 2 Stroke that was standard issues on early 208s.
The scoop is that the early hulls will sit low in the stern and that affects trim as well as water flowing onto the deck. The 4s are slower out of the hole in general.,
I have a 2 stroke 150 on my 208 and with four passengers it it has to work hard to get on plane. With 4 adults and more than half a tank of gas, the sluggishness is noticible
If you have a hardtop, it will be even worse. ( Grady recommended the 175 2s as minimum power for a 208 with hardtop)

The newer inline 4 cyl 4strokes like the 200HP model are a much better match especially for earlier 208 hulls. ( Later model 208s added ballast up front to compensate for heavier 4 stroke motors) I am not sure what year the ballast was added but if you look at specs for the 208s over the years, at some point the dry weight went up a couple of hundred pounds due to the ballast

seasick

Reaction score
My curiosity asks: Where do you find space for 7 passengers:)

DonInMA

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I was afraid of that. It's just so convenient, especially with the marina being close by, and not having any luck finding a 200.

PS, It's actually 8, including my Golden Retriever...Six in the cockpit and 2 kids on the bow seats. Thank You trim tabs!

Anyone have a Suzuki on their Grady? I don't see them around here, but on Cape Cod I can get one installed...

hinmo

Reaction score
Did someone says Zukes? Yep on a Marlin here in SE Mass.

seasick

Reaction score
DonInMA said:
Thanks for the reply, I was afraid of that. It's just so convenient, especially with the marina being close by, and not having any luck finding a 200.

PS, It's actually 8, including my Golden Retriever...Six in the cockpit and 2 kids on the bow seats. Thank You trim tabs!

Anyone have a Suzuki on their Grady? I don't see them around here, but on Cape Cod I can get one installed...

I am under the impression that the forward cushions on the 208 are not 'seats' in the normal sense. I thought it was not legal and even more so unsafe for passengers to be there while under power.
Maybe I am incorrect.
in my opinion, you need a bigger boat:)

DonInMA

Reaction score
I understand your concern.
In reality, while planing, one kid is standing, holding on to my helm seat, while the other is most likely in the cabin on his phone. Being teens, sometimes I do feel like bouncing them off the bow though :lol:

DonInMA

Reaction score
Re: Putting a Yamaha 225 on a Adventure 208?

What is the biggest 4 stroke one would put on the hull? It is a 1997 and the placard says 230 hp max, for 2 strokes.
I have seen a couple of f225 's for sale and would consider them...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey DonInMa:

You probably know this, but make sure any F225 you consider from approx '02 to '06 has had the exhaust corrosion rebuild done.

I had 2006 F200's and had to have them done at 1150 hrs. Wasn't pretty...

Seasick, Fish, others; correct me if I'm wrong on the years the motors were affected.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don, I had a similar boat but different brand. Similar design and weight. It had a 4 stroke Yamaha 150 on it. I can assure you that if you spend a few thousand of your hard earned dollars, you will wish you had went for more HP. Lots of take-offs down here in Florida. They are shipped all over the country all the time.

steveditt

Reaction score
Don .Installed Etec G 1 150 HP HO rated at 167 HP replaced 98 175 2 stroke Yamaha this past winter weight is the same which was a concern with an older grady ,the dealer also sold Yamaha ,if your able to find a G I HO or 175 -200, I installed new gauges ,controls and hydraulic steering , the Etec 150 is quicker at both ends .Wasn't much information to research Grady 208 with an Etec ,no smoke or smell . Noise level is good but 4 strokes are better especially at idle . I would love to compare the 200 Hp Yamaha against my HO in a sea trail . Good luck which your purchase .

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Check the performance numbers. There is probably not much difference between the 150 and 200. You may be fine with the 150 which has a solid track record.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Hey DonInMa:

You probably know this, but make sure any F225 you consider from approx '02 to '06 has had the exhaust corrosion rebuild done.

I had 2006 F200's and had to have them done at 1150 hrs. Wasn't pretty...

Seasick, Fish, others; correct me if I'm wrong on the years the motors were affected.

I believe those years are in the range for the 225 corrosion issues. Mine is an 02/03 and had to have it done with 1000 hours on the engine.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The 200 4cyl 4 stroke with a 19 pitch prop is about your best choice.
Contact Rudy’s Marine in Delaware. They do a big business on repowering and you’ll save a bundle on taxes in Delaware.
Work out a deal with them and trailer the boat to them to rerig it for you. I don’t think it’d take more than a day or two for them. They’ve done a lot and seen a lot of Grady’s.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 208 with a 200....was a 43 mph boat. I also ran a 208 with a 175 and it barely made 40.

There are plenty out there with 150s, but I think they are 36-37 mph boats. That may be plenty fast for how you use the boat....or you may be disappointed.

I'd look for an OX66 (200 or 225) that someone took off when they repowered. If the compression is good, they will run forever.

OvernightPaul

Reaction score
Ive got a 225 OX66 on my Overnighter. It's fantastic. A bit thirsty but a great set up

DonW

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I actually found a great deal on a low-hour 2003 OX 66 200 hp locally. Took it out the other day, just myself, dead flat calm, and got 39 mph @5100 rpm. Propeller came with the motor, a bit beat up, was a 14 1/2 x 17.
Does this sound about right? I don't really care about top end speed, but want to make sure I'm getting the "correct" performance out of the motor.
I would be interested to know what other Adventure 208 owners get from their setups....
Thanks Again!

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for all the replies. I actually found a great deal on a low-hour 2003 OX 66 200 hp locally. Took it out the other day, just myself, dead flat calm, and got 39 mph @5100 rpm. Propeller came with the motor, a bit beat up, was a 14 1/2 x 17.
Does this sound about right? I don't really care about top end speed, but want to make sure I'm getting the "correct" performance out of the motor.
I would be interested to know what other Adventure 208 owners get from their setups....
Thanks Again!
Without repeating what's already been said about 4 stroke vs 2 stroke, I have a 1996 208, with a 150hp 2 stroke yamaha saltwater series II. My top end with half a tank of gas and just me on lake like conditions was 39.0 mph. Add people and gear and I am still up to 37/38 mph Hole shot is good on the 2 stroke, and I get up with no issues (trim tabs would certantly help though at slower speed staying on plane, not sure if you have those). My boat is painted and has dropped a mph or two since being in the water all summer (algae and barnacles).
I would think you should be up in the 42/44 mph. Maybe see max rpms om your engine and see what your turning, may need to adjust prop (no clue what pitch is on mine).