Putting Up the Canvas without getting a heart attack

Graybeard

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I put up the full canvas on my Freedom 225 over the weekend and got quite a workout trying to get all the zippers zipped and closure snaps snaped. Is there a stragity to putting up the canvas without getting a heart attack?? Snaps first, zippers second...zippers first snaps second.....get wife away from me while I'm doing this.......I'm at a loss. Someone help me before I suffer a massive and the wife collects on my insurance!!!

G8RDave

Reaction score
On my Seafarer I get the zippers started, then do the snaps, then finish the zippers. There is too much tension to do the snaps if the zippers are completely shut.

Slacktime

Reaction score
Get it warm in the sun first. then it will be more plyable and workable.

Frank G

Reaction score
Hi Grey beard.
Check the boat bags that Tristate gave you at settlement, I would think the aforementioned tool would be in there. If not ask Ron to throw one in when you take the boat in for its first check up.

GulfSea

Reaction score
I always wait for a warm day to fool with it. A cool/cold attempt is not worth the aggravation. Oh and that little tool sure makes it easier.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Thanks guys
I got that snap tool but it didn't help because everything was so tight. Letting the canvas get warm isn't an option when it's cold and that's why you are putting it up in the first place. The wife invited another couple to go for a short cruise on Saturday to a dock bar for lunch. And I'm positive I'll have to put the full canvas up again. Maybe I'll keep it in tye house to keep it warm

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am assuming you have the soft top? If so, here is what I had to do my 192 when I had it. The position of the top is some what dependent upon the tension of the guide straps. So when putting up the curtains do what everyone else said to do, start the zippers and so forth, but if you need the curtains loosen the guide straps so there is play in the top to get it all aligned properly, then snap and zip as appropriate. Once the curtains are on tighten the guide straps. So if your wife collects on the insurance, can I have your boat? figured it wouldnt hurt to ask :wink: Good luck. Even on hard tops it can be pain in the rear.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had the same problem on my Gulfstream canvas, just on the front window pieces. I got sick of messing with it and took it to my canvas shop. They re-positioned the snaps so it wasn't near as violin-string tight as before...Much better now.

Smoky has too much going on to take care of another Grady. I have more time to take care of your boat than he does....

Kidding of course. Glad your enjoying your new rig.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Magic, I called it first man....but you might be right. time is more limited in supply for boats for me than you. Tell you what, we can share it (lol)...I honestly mean no harm to Graybeard at all...hope his boat brings him many years of joy for him and his family.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I do not know how you normally store your enclosure. With mine, I have been storing it in the house and flat. This has made putting it up in the spring a lot easier. When I put it on the boat(usually this time of year, when its cold up here in the northeast). It goes from a warm house to a warm car, to the boat. I replaced the enclosure 3 years ago. Since then I have been doing it this way, and it has gone on a lot easier. With my old enclosure I used to roll it up and keep it on the boat. It used to be a PITA in the spring when it was cold out. This is my experience don't know if it helps or not.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It seems like everyone has their own method. I sart with a side working the snaps starting with the easiest edge (not all the snaps may go yet), then zipper a front and a side. Repeat for the other side then do the two fronts last. If you have snaps they just don't make it, letting it stretch in the sun really helps.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My red-headed Irish mother taught me this trick many years ago with regards to zippers. Take a sheet of old fashioned wax paper and with the waxed side against the zipper, run it up and down the zipper several times.

do1mgl

Reaction score
I have a 1997 f26. The snaps on it are fixed on the inside and the ones on the outside can move. I snap the inside ones first and then the outside ones which can be moved. Zippers are last and easy to do when every
Snap is done. Don't know if otherboats havethe moveable outside snaps. Kevin

glemboh

Reaction score
I have a gulfstream with a hardtop and only use my canvas sides and eisenglass in the fall. Needless to say it`s almost impossible to install on the east coast when it`s cold out. So, I use a heat gun and gently warm the eisenglass as it is hanging from my hardtop with the zippers partially zipped. I can than easily snap the snaps on the bottom.

Good luck,
glemboh