Pyramid Lake

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Took my neighbor Rob and his son Clif out to fish Pyramid Lake today. Clif is a professional fishing guide in Alaska. He was a lot of fun to fish with, and was impressed by the quality of the fishery. I just drove the boat so they could catch some nice ones.20191101_130136.jpg20191101_114044.jpg20191101_165626.jpg

Willy-C

Reaction score
Niiiice fish.....landlocked salmon?

I was near your area in sept, I did get a chance to drive around Lake Tahoe but didn’t make it to Pyramid Lake. I flew in and out of Reno, my boy got married near Truckee CA. Awesome country out there. Lots of open dry land and desolate lakes.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Niiiice fish.....landlocked salmon?

I was near your area in sept, I did get a chance to drive around Lake Tahoe but didn’t make it to Pyramid Lake. I flew in and out of Reno, my boy got married near Truckee CA. Awesome country out there. Lots of open dry land and desolate lakes.
Willy-C These are Lahontan Cutthroat Trout
They can grow over 20 pounds
They grow quickly
The story about their recent re-introduction back into Pyramid Lake after becoming extinct this past century is an amazing feat of luck and science

Hope it was a fun wedding!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice day at Pyramid with my buddy Jeff and his friend Stephanie.
Jeff won the annual Crosby's Lodge fishing derby in 2002 at the lake. Every yearly winner gets their name added to a placard :cool:
I'm maddoggin my Lahontan Cutthroat Trout right before I released it.
And a pretty sunset shot of the Great Pyramid.
20200125_185221.jpgin20200125_185443.jpg20200125_185913.jpg20200125_190041.jpg

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Holy Trout! Those are awesome! Yea, none that size down here.. lol
R

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Holy Trout! Those are awesome! Yea, none that size down here.. lol
R
When I lived in Austin, no interest in a boat to fish for bass n catfish on Lake Austin, but fished with guides on Lake Buchanan for Stripers, that was fun n they are good to eat!
You might give it a shot sometime....

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Agreed. Buch is my normal hangout. I generally stay south, between the county park and lighthouse, but sometimes go up towards Flag island or the dam. Have not been on it in a while, but I can pretty much find the fish by sight, since I have been on there for years. Looking forward to dropping the boat in and going after whites and stripped bass and those hybrids soon!
R

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Out today with my older son. No sea monsters were caught, but I had a heck of a time.20200308_145924.jpg20200308_123043.jpg20200308_152253.jpg20200308_192216.jpg

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Willows!

I don't know where the drop off is with fluctuating water levels, but fish right along the edge where the weeds stop. Also, look at the bottom with your new Humminbird out to about 40 ft. This time of year you'll find schools of the benthic form of tui chub (Siphateles bicolor obesa) grubbing on the bottom feeding on midge larvae and algae. This form of tui chub almost never suspends in the water column and looks like a patch of grass on the bottom where there isn't any grass. Troll right on the bottom around these shows and you can get into some big LCTs.

I used to average around ten 10 lb+ fish per year back when that was a big deal. And I never weighed one in at Crosby's. :p

• Love
Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes the Willows~good call!

My son reminded me that campground was our first Boy Scouts weekend outing together when we first moved to Reno. The Paiute Tribe is always so generous letting our troop camp and fish for free. If they could just maintain the docks, that would be helpful. Sure you understand.

Now he is an Eagle Scout, I am always grateful for the time that we can spend together.

Ironically, we were trolling yesterday at depths from 37-46'. That was the pattern that worked for me last fall.....

Doc, thanks for the heads up about the tui chub. I understand what you are saying. Water depths are all over the board as we went from severe drought to surplus recently and this winter no precipitation to speak of again. But I never knew about your tip for that area, so I will do some on water reconnaissance.

It's nice to hear you never needed to get a pic at Crosby's (Which Fred n Judy sold last year and now it's called Pyramid Lake Lodge) I never have as well for what it's worth.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What I do with the trout I catch when I feel like keeping one to eat.....Ceviche!!
1 pound diced fish
1 pound bay scallops
1 pound shrimp
8 limes juiced (or preferrably 12-14 key west limes)
1 mandarin or sumatra orange juiced
1 chopped red onion
2 avocados
1 large diced mango
1 bunch chopped cilantro
8 cloves minced garlic
2 serrano peppers finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste

20200313_201944.jpg

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pyramid fish also make great gravlox. Like the best I've ever had. The salted roe also make outstanding caviar, but you need to collect it in December and January before the chorions (shells) get too hard.

Don't eat any big ones. They are loaded with mercury. Especially a year or two following a good water year. And don't eat Pyramid trout after mid-April. Since they can't spawn, they reabsorb their eggs and sperm and taste like crap. That's why they have a reputation for not being good to eat. They will be fine by October.

• Haha

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pyramid fish also make great gravlox. Like the best I've ever had. The salted roe also make outstanding caviar, but you need to collect it in December and January before the chorions (shells) get too hard.

Don't eat any big ones. They are loaded with mercury. Especially a year or two following a good water year. And don't eat Pyramid trout after mid-April. Since they can't spawn, they reabsorb their eggs and sperm and taste like crap. That's why they have a reputation for not being good to eat. They will be fine by October.
I've been tempted to try to make gravlox, any good recipes you are willing to share?
I miss taking a Pacific King or two a year and having them portioned out by a little shop in Sausalito. Forget the name, but they did a good job.
Always enjoyed cold vs hot smoked but to each their own.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There are a lot of gravlax recipes online, but this is the simple one that I use most often

For 2-lb of skinned fillets:

1. 4 Tbsp. sugar
2. 2 Tbsp. non-iodized salt
3. 12 freshly ground black or green peppercorns
4. 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried dillweed)

Mix everything and pat lightly on both sides of the fillets.
Place them in a close-fitting flat bottomed dish (not metal) and sprinkle in any remaining spice mixture.
Place a second smaller dish on top of the fillets and add around a pound of anything to press the fillets down to make a better texture and make slicing easier.

Hold in the refrigerator for 2-4 days.
Slice thinly across the grain and serve with crackers and a mustard sauce.

Gravlax works best with lean fish like most freshwater trout, coho, and pink salmon. I used to make it with Mackinaw from Stampede, but not from Tahoe. The Tahoe fish eat a lot of mysis shrimp and can get too oily.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Correct,

The lake officially closed today. Was able to get out yesterday with a friend visiting from Cape Cod. We both felt a bit odd about enjoying ourselves in the midst of current events.

I think the Tribe did the correct thing. It is a privilege having access to this fishery, but there are many elderly people to consider that reside out there.

Anyway, a few pics from yesterday's outing. Caught and released 18 fish.20200322_132931.jpg20200322_130934.jpg20200322_141936.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lee, not only is that lake beautiful, you’ve figured out how to pull the trout out of it. Awesome fishery. Just a bit envious.

Went out on Saturday and scratched just one keeper halibut. Had fun, but haven’t figured out the trolling with hoochies. Did find my next project though. Factory bait tank fubar. Trying to decide whether to add a bait tank or try to make existing work for anchovies. The design sucks.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lee, not only is that lake beautiful, you’ve figured out how to pull the trout out of it. Awesome fishery. Just a bit envious.

Went out on Saturday and scratched just one keeper halibut. Had fun, but haven’t figured out the trolling with hoochies. Did find my next project though. Factory bait tank fubar. Trying to decide whether to add a bait tank or try to make existing work for anchovies. The design sucks.
Well crap LT,
You'll figure it out. Pretty sure we are the same in this regard, we don't want to stop being curious :cool:

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Went fishing yesterday with my new boat owners Charlie and Sylvia. They made the trek down to Reno from the Washington coast to pick up my Grady 228G. I hope they post pics of Salmon and Sturgeon they plan on catching with their new hull!
Will miss catching these beautiful Cutthroat Trout on Pyramid Lake.

4065.jpeg4067.jpeg