Q about Lewmar Pro Series 700 in Seafarer

Ginger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought a 228 and wondering how much 1/2", 8 plait, high quality anchor line I can fit in the locker. Seems pretty tight so wondering how deep I can anchor and what I can do to extend my reach? I know I don't need 6 to 1 for fishing and it depends on anchor and bottom type but looking for some general guidelines.
I called the manufacturer and they said it will slip with anything less than 1/2" but I'm curious if anyone has used 3/8" for backing. I'm wondering if I used 1/2" for the first 100' then spliced 3/8" if I'd have enough grip if I used an anchor ball to float the anchor.

seasick

Reaction score
If you use the smaller line, you will hate yourself later if you need more line. In addition, the rope to rope splice may cause binding.
The windlass is really picky about line size and type.

Reactions: DoctorOctopus

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I have this exact setup and highly recommend the 8 plait 1/2' line which lays down very tight. I have 150 feet with no problem.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have 160' 5/8 and 5/16 short link chain , I think I can fit at least 200' in the locker. I wouldn't use anything smaller than 1/2".

seasick

Reaction score
Lewmar specs 1/2 in rope and 1/4 chain for that model I believe. The chain size is also critical to problem free operation. I also have a 700 on my "other' boat.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
seasick, I have the 1000 on mine , I can use 1/2' rope or 5/8 but chain has to be 5/16 I believe. Mine works fine on freefall and motor.

seasick

Reaction score
seasick, I have the 1000 on mine , I can use 1/2' rope or 5/8 but chain has to be 5/16 I believe. Mine works fine on freefall and motor.
OK. I was referring to the original poster asking about the 700 model.

Ginger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any chance I'll be able to fit 300' of 1/2" of 8 plait and recommendations on the best brand? Trying to find the maximum length I can fit without too much trouble. If I had all 300' of line out I wouldn't mind stopping with the anchor half way up to pack the line tightly but don't want the anchor locker to be so full it's a constant bother.

I rarely anchor in more than 100' of water so 300' of line should be plenty to snag and hold something while fishing at that depth.

As a last resort is there any way to add a section of rhode to the standing line (shackle?) while the line is in the windlass?

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would like to change out my anchor line to 8-plait from 3 strand. I get constant binding. I have no idea what my Length is but I would rather have shorter line than climb up to the front and unbind the rope with an Allen wrench on moving water. what is the max for a 228 without having to pull line out of the locker to make space?

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would like to change out my anchor line to 8-plait from 3 strand. I get constant binding. I have no idea what my Length is but I would rather have shorter line than climb up to the front and unbind the rope with an Allen wrench on moving water. what is the max for a 228 without having to pull line out of the locker to make space?

I'm in for the answer on this. Picking up Pro-Fish 700 next week for my 228. Was thinking Lewmar 200' 8-plait and 10' 1/4" chain kit.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I have 200 feet of 8-plait in there. It's tight sometimes if I use the majority of it and when it is retrieved the rope will pile on itself and might need a nudge to push overt the pile.
Go with the 200....

Reactions: DoctorOctopus

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
presently I have pulled away the curtain on my anchor locker and have most of the rope piled into the cuddy cabin. Will be curious to see if this can be contained in the normal locker