Q for Tournament 225 owners

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here's an easy one: (non-controversial too!) Does anyone know the distance from the bow cleats on a 225 down to the water?

I am bottom painting a new set of mooring bridles and I want to make sure that I bottom paint all of the line that ends up in the water, but not that much more. The boat is still on a storage rack at the dealer so I can't go measure it...

I thought maybe someone's boat was out in the driveway where they could take a look with a tape measure... Thanks!

Mike

Petefish

Reaction score
I will be visiting mine Wednesday and will measure for you if you get no answers before then. I have a question of my own though. When I trim up my Yammy 225 at the dock about 2 inches of the lower unit remain in the water (right in front of the intakes). The paint is peeling a bit and I get an occasional barnacle. Is this common and should I paint that area with anti-fouling paint for aluminum? Sorry for hijacking the thread and I'll get back to you Wednesday night with the measurement.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Petefish -

about the motor in the water, even when it is trimmed up, yes - -we are stuck with that, and you definitely want to paint the lower unit with a bottom paint for Aluminum. (same with the bracket which is aluminum...)

If you search for it, you will find a number of other posts on this site about this issue. Most seem to feel it is a design flaw, but not much to do about it. I know I am in that camp.

Petefish

Reaction score
Hey Mike!

Never made it to the boat Wednesday but got there today. Distance from the tip of the bow straight down to about where my bottom paint line would extend is approximately 40 inches. Surprised me. Looks like more to the naked eye but I guess when they are on a trailer it's deceiving.
Hope this helps.

When you bought your boat was the bracket already painted? Mine was and I can't be sure what is on it. Looks like the same as the hull. The dealer thinks it is as well but he's not sure.
I was planning on sanding it to get as much paint off as I can without digging into the aluminun too much then priming with primocon and painting with trilux.
Next issue is the drain plug under the bracket. It is broken off but still sealed. Just the part you put the wrench on broke off. The threaded part of the plug is intact. I got a replacement from a grady dealer but to change it you have to get through the inspection hole on top through the foam inside and back 2 feet to the plug. Seems dry in there so I thought I would just seal it up with marine tex and not worry about it. If I ever get water in there then I have a replacement plug and will do it the right way then.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you ever even open this plug?
One last thing. Marine Tex before or after the primer?

Thanks for your opinion,

Pete

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Marine-Tex before the primer, if you're determined. It's not IF ytou get water in the bracket, but WHEN. I'd fix it right before doing anything to the bracket. The plug should be aluminum and take readily to drilling/easy out ... :?

Petefish

Reaction score
The plug is a plastic bolt from the outside and a plastic nut on the inside. Looks like a real bitch to get at the inside part.

Do you open your plug and get water regularly?

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You know, I have never checked for water in the bracket (embarassing) but i will this year. We are about to start our third season in the water and it has never behaved as if there was any extra weight back there... More embarassment - I do not know the process for painting the aluminum...only that it is a different paint.

THANK YOU for measuring! .....of course I painted my bridles last week, but I can still add a little paint if I need to. I am going to do a photo documentary of Tournament 225 issues, from details to big picture, once I get her in the water this year.

Thanks again!