Quality replacement windlass options for 2004 Grady 330?

slimjim7

Reaction score
Hello to all. New Grady owner here; new to the forum.

Wondering if anyone can share experiences about replacing the windlass on a mid 2000s 330 Express. It previously had a Lewmar 700 Horizontal windlass. It needs replacing.

In my research, no one seems to like the Lewmars. Reviews are poor across the board, and overall quality seems low. Further, my local Grady dealer quoted a vertical Lewmar as a replacement, which made me wonder. My understanding is that rode locker space and free drop room in the locker is a major concern for a vertical windlass. (I didn't think it would work on a 330 -- and maybe it won't, just because the dealer quoted it doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are doing on a 10 year old boat model)

However, it got me thinking If a 2004 Grady 330 can accommodate a vertical windlass, would a "Good" windlass be an option? Has anyone used a Good 850A/C on their Grady 330? Goods have freefall anchor drop and they do not require cleating off. Further, their reputation is excellent. However, I need a windlass that will properly lay line in the 330 rode locker, or of course it's practically worthless.

Thanks for some guidance for a new owner!

SGGW228G

Reaction score
I find the Lewmar Profish 1000 to be bullet proof. Provide you service it once every year or two years.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a Lewmar V700 that I installed on my Sundancer and so far it's been trouble free. One thing of note, is that you'll almost always find more "bad" reviews about a certain product - regardless of what the product is.

Yes, a vertical windlass will require a certain drop - I don't know the depth of your locker, but I have somewhere around 30+" in my Sundancer.

I do not have a Good windlass, but I do have a few friends that have them - and they've had them for a long time. One of the guys boats year round in Florida. They have nothing but "good" things to say about them. They're a local company (to me, anyway) and have great customer service - again, according to my friends. The only reason I didn't put a Good on my Sundancer (28') was the cost.

slimjim7

Reaction score
Very much appreciate the responses. Interesting to hear about the positive experience with the Lewmar Profish 1000. That thing just gets beaten up like a rented mule on the West Marine reviews and on Hull Truth. Certainly it makes sense that people are more likely to write a negative review than a positive one, but there are loads of products, of all types, that are reviewed positively. I cannot find a Lewmar windlass that garners overall positive reviews.

But, I fear that the Grady 330 was designed to use that Lewmar horizontal windlass product and nothing else will work properly with the rode locker set-up.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know what's up with the reviews. There's a Sea Ray forum I'm on and quite a few guys have added a Lewmar (varying models). I can't think of anyone that has said anything bad. They (Lewmar) have been around for a long, long time too.

How much drop do you have in the locker? Let's figure this out based on dimensions, rather than gut. There's other horizontal windlass brands - I'm just curious why Lewmar would be the only one that would work?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check out IDEAL or GOOD windlass. Both are very good. Lewmar look good, but I don't think they stand up well.

slimjim7

Reaction score
Frustratingly enough, Grady White customer service cannot provide an exact measure of the rode locker. (well, not without consulting with the engineers)

My boat is out of the water getting the bottom painted -- hopefully I can get in there for some measuring soon.

Stonewall

Reaction score
SlimJim,

I'll let the others argue quality while I'll argue verticle vs horizontal on a 330. I had a 330 with a verticle windlass installed in the factory at delivery. It was a constant pain in the ass. There is not suffient verticle clearance inside the rope locker to allow the rode to fall cleanly. It constantly hung up on the side of the locker, backed up into the gypsy and jammed the windlass nearly everytime. I had my dealer take a look at it and they agreed with my assessment and worked directly with Grady to replace it with a verticle windlass at no charge. From there on - never a problem. lt worked flawlessly because the rode fell into the middle of the locker as oppsed to sliding down the sides of the locker. Do yourself and crew a favor and use the horizontal style.

slimjim7

Reaction score
Thanks Stonewall, regrettably that jives with what I have been thinking. What horizontal model did you go with (and are you pleased with it's overall performance), to replace the factory's vertical windlass? (also, how long has it been in service?)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's odd that the locker isn't deeper. My Sundancer is a smaller boat and the locker is bigger - I have 300' of 1/2" and chain and there's no problem with a vertical windlass. Not saying anyone's wrong - I'm just surprised that Grady designed the locker to be so shallow. Although, I suppose with a Sundancer style boat having a horizontal windlass wouldn't really fit the "looks" so the locker would have been designed around a vertical to hide the motor.

Stone - just out of curiosity, were you using twisted or plait? If twisted, I wonder if just replacing the rode with plait would have also solved the problem

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have Lewmar 1000 Profish on my 330. My original one was a 1000, but not a Profish with freefall and I replaced it. One thing I found was if you use 8 Plait 5/8 with the 1000 it works good and seldom if ever fouls. However, regular 3 strand doesn't do nearly as well. Lewmar also changed the 1000 design slightly to prevent snags at the bottom of the windlass when recovering the anchor. Mine has worked flawlessly since replacing it with the newer design. I have about 250 feet of 5/8 8 plait rode and 30 feet of 5/16 (I think) chain and I could probably do another 50 feet and will when I replace the rode.

Stonewall

Reaction score
SlimJim - I went with the Lewmar Horizontal and it worked perfectly for 4 years until I traded in the boat.

DennisG01 - It's not that the locker isn't deep enough (hell you could hide a body in there) It's that with the Verticle Windlass the rode comes around the gypsy and falls into the locker at the side as opposed to directlly down the middle with the horizontal. As the rode fell down the side it would get hung up and back up into the gypsy. I was using a plait and that seemed to make it worse since it is so soft. It would grab and snag on almost anything. Like I said - once I changed out the windlass it wasn't an issue. They also replaced the rode since the windlass had chewed it up pretty bad.

I must say that the Dealer and Grady stood behind their product with no argument at all.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Stone - I see what you're saying, now. The locker in my Sundancer is full width so the rode is falling smack dab in the center (or awful close to it, anyways, given the 4" of off-center - like you mentioned - because of the vertical windlass) with probably 15"+ of clearance in each direction.