Question About Analog vs Digital Gauge

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 208 came with digial gauges as original equipment. The multifunction gauge that displays fuel, battery voltage, speed, and trip time is completely fried, short in the wiring to it. I need to replace it. Here's my question: being that the prices of Yamaha OEM gauges are through the roof ( $350 list price ), was thinking about aftermarket gauges. Most of the aftermarket gauges I am finding are ANALOG. There is no compelling need to keep the boat original. My question: If the boat was originally wired for digital, will analog gauges work? I would like to have a gauge that shows fuel state and battery voltage. What is the source of supply for aftermarket? Thank you. Hot Ajax

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Impatient much? ;)

If you think about the cost of the gauge vs the amount of info it shows and the number of "regular" gauges it replaces, the cost isn't all that bad. However, if you don't find any advantage to features it offers, then sure, change things around to suit your needs. After all, it's your boat - not anyone else's.

A fuel gauge and battery gauge are easily hooked up. You can buy gauges just about anywhere - whether a brick-n-mortar marine store or online. They are easy to find. The gas gauge gets hooked up to your existing fuel sending unit wire. Both gauges can get their power from the ignition switch (or any switched +).

seasick

Reaction score
If the wiring to the display is bad, that is to say that the harness is bad, you would need a new harness. Since Yamaha had the option of analog gauges in some models, certain info like fuel level, voltage, maybe trim angle should be relatively simple to replicate. The speed and elapsed time might be more difficult. Now if the Yamaha oem individual gauges are indeed analog, other brands should work too.
You first need to determine if the issue is bad harness or a bad gauge. I would suspect that buying a new harness and individual gauges would cost as much as a new digital module and may not provide all the same info_Of course if the harness is bad, a new gauge isn't going to help
Does the gauge self test on power up? If not, it can be taken out and checked out and the t the existing connector can be checked for voltage and signals. You need a wiring diagram of the harness and a volt/ohmmeter. Some signals are voltages and some are changes in resistance and to test you need to know which is which

Other than getting your hands on a working display to test the harness, your problem is not all that easy to diagnose and repair except in the case where there is obvious damage to the harness wires.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Impatient much? ;)

If you think about the cost of the gauge vs the amount of info it shows and the number of "regular" gauges it replaces, the cost isn't all that bad. However, if you don't find any advantage to features it offers, then sure, change things around to suit your needs. After all, it's your boat - not anyone else's.

A fuel gauge and battery gauge are easily hooked up. You can buy gauges just about anywhere - whether a brick-n-mortar marine store or online. They are easy to find. The gas gauge gets hooked up to your existing fuel sending unit wire. Both gauges can get their power from the ignition switch (or any switched +).

Nah, just feeling a bit constipated.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, gents. Much appreciated. The "boat fixer" I use has seen the old stuff. He said the analog guages will be fine. Used the Faria multifunction gauge with fuel and battery will work fine. Just wont be hooking up oil pressure leads in my 2 stroke. :eek:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Nah, just feeling a bit constipated.
:)

Uh-oh - no oil pressure! I see what you did there!

Although... I wonder if there's an unused port on the engine where you could hook up a water pressure sensor? I think the oil pressure graduation would be a little too high for super accurate readings, but it might be useful info to help "generally" monitor the impeller health.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, Dennis. I wasn't sure if you were being serious, so when In doubt, go with the humorous side. It got me through the USN.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Absolutely!

Stern drives and inboards have been using water pressure sensors for years. I don't know if newer OB's are using them, but it seems like a good "tool" to have. It would end up being completely independent of the OB's computer, so it wouldn't cause any issues there.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is additional info in those Yamaha digital gauges....for example - oil level and the overheat warning.

There are places on the internet that will rebuild them if they are savable. You might check http://www.gaugesaver.com