Question about bilge pump switch

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a new to me 2002 Seafarer 228. The aft bilge pump switch is either (up or down). On or off im assuming? My previous boat, an 85 Mako had a 3 position switch for the bilge, Up (on) Mid(off) down(standby). Is this how the Grady wiring is? Like I said, the boat is new to me and I currently have a new bilge pump on order as my old one was seized up.
Thanks

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Bilge pumps should be wired directly to the battery through the float switch to be automatic regardless of battery switch or helm switch position. Most Grady-White bilge pumps are automatic with a float so the helm switch simply provides a manual ability to turn the bilge pump on regardless of float position. That switch will only work when a battery is selected on the bus. However the bilge pump should work regardless of whether the battery switches are on or off if needed via the float switch. If standard configuration your switch should manually turn on the bilge pump and manually turn off the bilge pump.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with Wspitler's reply, though I would definitely test that theory first to make sure that is actually correct in your particular situation as your boat is now 21 years old and one of the previous owners could very well have changed something up along the way. Either way, congratulations on the new to you boat and have fun with it. I've bought a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer almost two years ago now and love everything about it.

Last edited: