Question about fuel tank usage on 300 Marlin

Wally World

Reaction score
Looking for feedback: What do people feel is the best way to run your fuel? Do you have one engine draw from each tank separately? Or do you draw both from same tank then switch both over to the other tank?

seasick

Reaction score
There is one advantage to using one tank for each motor but that assumes you don't gas up both at the same time. If you get a bad batch of gas, only one motor would be affected in theory.
On a more practical note, running both motors on one tanks and then switching at some point allows the gassing up of tanks alternately and that keeps the gas fresher.
There may also be a trim and balance consideration since the weight distribution will change as tanks are run down. That effect if any, will have to be learned by experience

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
can't speak to the marlin, but i run both tanks on my 330 (one per engine). started out running one tank at a time but there was definitely an impact on operating, at least for me.

good luck, ron

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I run down both tanks at the same time and fill both at the same time.

This way, the boat doesn't start listing as it would if the tanks were drawn down separately.

It's worked perfectly in the two years I've owned my Marlin. No fuel-oriented problems so far.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I always ran both off main and saved my reserve. Sometimes I would run both off reserve just to use the fuel. I always run both motors on one tank though.

MA208

Reaction score
I run auxiliary down first. Seems to be better for weight and balance.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Both, one motor on each. Evens out as was mentioned, and if there is an issue with one, potentially only one engine loss. Plus, if you are busy fishing and running and forget to switch, won't run dry...

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
On my express(very similar to marlin) I will run off of 1 tank at a time. I pretty much only fill the rear tank for longer trips and will burn it off first. I feel the boat runs better this way, which was the same thing i did with my previous 265. In talking with a couple of Grady service guys that is what they recommended. If you get a bad batch of fuel and are filling both tanks its not going to matter how you manage your tanks.