question about potential purchase

jmp

Reaction score
Looking at 272 sailfish has 2 150's. Concerned if this is enough power? Thanks for any feedback.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i have no qualifications to answer this, however, i can't possibly conceive how that would be sufficient power. ron

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
JMP, My guess would be that it's a little short on power. With that being said, Sea trial the boat with the same type of load you would normally operate it with and see how it does.
I would not sea trial it light on gas, water tank empty and two people on board . load it down.
The quickest way to add weight is with bodies(live ones are easiest :) ).
Whoever has it now might be swinging props that are say 15x15 instead of say a 15x17 to help it along. That would help on the hole shot but would have the motors spinning a few hundred rpms more for a normal planing cruise speed.
Let us know how it turns out.

I fished a few times with a friend on a 26' Blackwatch with a 9'6" beam . It had twin Yam. 150's on it (2 stroke SWSII"s ). I thought it would be underpowered but was pleasantly surprised that it had plenty of power. The Grady is a heavier boat though.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You should try what Rainmaker suggested, but my best guess is underpowered.

We purchased our Islander new with a single 250HP OX66, then repowered to twin F150s. Our hull is rated at 500HP and we are OK with these twins. But I can't see 150s - even 6cyl HPDIs - are really sufficient on a Sailfish.

Brian

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have a 272 with twin 200 hpdi motors. This combination is well matched and is much better than the old OX66 200 hp motors. I feel that the 150's are probably to small ror the 272. The 200 hpdt motors have provided about 6 mph more speed at 4000 to 4100 rpm cruising. I am now getting 1.8 to 1.9 mpg.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
I believe that the 272 with 150s would be underpowered. The boat with motors falls in about 6700 lbs. Just dont see 300 hp being enough power to push this boat efficiently. Does the previous owner have any specs on the the power and performance with these engines?

jmp

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Grady678

Reaction score
This would be the first 272 I heard of with this power. Not only is this underpowered, it's going to be brutally painful on the resale side. Maybe it was rigged for fishing Great Lakes area?? No current or adverse conditions......yeah this could work.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't buy that boat! Those are the wrong motors for that hull. There are enough boats for sale out there don't worry.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
jmp if you are interested I just bought my 282 send me a PM and I will discuss what I paid and what I paid for!

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
150's are OK up to maybe 22-24 ft but would definitely want more HP above that, sorta like it will work, but not to your long term satisfaction....

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't Jump in too Quickly

I second what Grog said. There are alot of boats out there. Be patient and you'll eventually find what you need / want. Does seem a bit light on the HP.