Question about scuppers 2002 192 Tournament

hardasset

Reaction score
I was inspecting qthe Through hills for my scuppers today. They appear to be brass tubes. On the outside, there is a ring that screws into the transom, with a rubber flap. Was this typical of the 2002 era Tournament? The tubes appear to need replacing, and the flapper is dry rotted and will need replacing too. Is there a better solution for these through hills?

seasick

Reaction score
The flappers don't last a long time and need to be replaced as they get old and stiff like my knees.
You can get the OEM Grady replacements and spend a lot of money or pick up a T-H Marine flapper kit that has two flappers in 3 sizes ( 6 total). You probably will use only one size but the kit is still less expensive than the alternatives. The kit doesn't have flappers for the larger scuppers that may have a white plastic mounting ring as opposed to the usually black ones set in a metal through hull. For the white ones you may need to buy the whole unit, mounting ring and flapper.
You will find these things in most decent marine supply stores including West Marine but note that the West Marine prices usually are a fair bit higher than many of the on-line dealers.
Here's a link to an Amazon listing
https://www.amazon.com/T-H-Marine-Flapper-Scupper-Repair-Kit/dp/B002JQ9CDO

hardasset

Reaction score
This is a white plastic ring that is screwed into the transom on the outside with a rubber flapper. It is not connected to the tube through the transom, which appears to be a brass tube similar to what Whaler used on their smaller boats for many years. I really hate these tubes as they don’t seem to be very durable to me. The two for the scuppers have cracked and corroded and I am afraid of what I am going to find when I replace them.

hardasset

Reaction score
Does anyone know what size tubing works best for replacing the tubes themselves?

wlewis

Reaction score
How difficult is it to replace the rubber flaps in the stainless through hull fittings?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine have one screw and the flap can be removed. No need to replace the brass tubes unless they are cracked. I replace the flaps every couple years as they get brittle.

hardasset

Reaction score
Mine have a white retaining ring, with three layers of black rubber gaskets beneath. There is no screw in the flap. It appears that the first rubber gasket seals around the outlet of the brass drain tube. The second appears to be what the flapper seals against, and the third is the gasket with the flapper.

When you remove the retaining rings and flappers, there is a brass drain tube that appears to be the same diameter as the drain tubes in the motor well. ETA I’ve added pics below.

Last edited:

hardasset

Reaction score
SDD677C1D-6B59-42B3-85F0-8B4075772B4B.jpeg

The top gasket was against the outside of the transom followed by the second, then the third with the flapper, and all secured by the retaining ring.

Would this be a normal installation on a 2002 192 Tournament? Seems pretty shoddy to me. Was it normal for the through hills themselves, not the ones in the motor well but the ones at deck level on port and starboard sides, to be brass tubes?

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Mine looked the same way on my 192 and leaked all the time and got tired of it so Again Why bother with these and buy the one's I showed ya and be done with it??? just take them off ( one screw) and clean them at the end of the season

Last edited:

hardasset

Reaction score
I am going to buy the ones like yours or the ping pong style ones. Just trying to figure out if the setup was factory or something added by the guy I purchased from.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hard, you have one too many ring gaskets, there.

I've used the one Jimmy is noting, but they always seem to catch floating weeds and get fouled up. I got tired of always reaching overboard and cleaning them so I went back to the normal style and have been happier. Yes, if a couple guys are in the back of the boat at the same time some water may back up into the boat - but as soon as we move, the water goes right back overboard. Those scuppers are not meant to prevent that. They're meant to prevent large influxes of water, which they do quite well. Besides, if you start to get any growth inside that clear plastic cup, the ball won't seal well anyways, and the same thing happens. It's a nice design, but over the years I've found the standard scupper to be the better, overall solution.

seasick

Reaction score
If you are going to replace those multi-piece scupper sets,, save the spacers. The new kits may not have any or if they do, may not be the correct thickness. You can bed the last piece with silicon if above the water line or some 4200 or Life Seal if below. You don't need to coat every layer of spacers.

Willy-C

Reaction score
My ‘92 had those flat black rubber scuppers as OEM, I changed them out with same but eventually to the ping pong ball style. They are much better but I went one step further and matched up two rubber loose fitting plugs, attached a small paracord and anchored the loose end to the rod holder out in the open. I use them when trolling fresh water with an 86# kicker motor hanging off the back bracket and several grown men hanging off setting up downriggers. In a pinch I can yard on the cord to quickly open up the scuppers. No more wet toes, now nice and dry......;)