Question about the difference between a 282 and a 265...

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello all, I'm a long time boater and just sold our Defever 41 last fall. This is my first post on what is a great site, full of people who take the time to post. Now that I’ve fluffed y’all up a bit I’ll ask my question.

I‘ve been doing my homework on the Sailfish 282‘s. I really like the boat, I’m not much of a fisherman but that may change in the future, if not I’m good with using it for pleasure. The Yamaha 225 and 250 corrosion issues are somewhat of a concern.

Question, Is the cabin/head in the 265 the same size as the 282? did they just add length at the stern for the 282 ? is the hull shape similar? Thanks for any input

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I’m 6’2” tall and my head hits in my 265 express not sure in the sailfish the 265 is a great fishing boat for day trips one if the best but when you put your gear and down below then when it’s bedtime you have to move everything at least the 282 has a bed down below. I would sit or fish in each one before buying there are different boats for sure.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am 5'11 and I can stand in the head and cabin on my 282 with no issues. Never been on a 265. I was a victim of the F225 corrosion issues and it forced me to upgrade to 4.2L F250s. Make sure you get those engines lookes at!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
they are very different. 265 is an express with a center helm, the 282 is a walk around.
So the 265 is wider under the top and bench seating is under the top. 282 has 2 chairs under the top and bench seat in cockpit
265 has tailgate, 282 has euro transom (do they still call it that?:rolleyes:).
So 265 has a clear cockpit for fishing with the feel of a much bigger inboard express
282 puts the motors way back and behind seating making fishing off the stern very difficult

282 cabin is more amenable to family....windows, extra bunk, table seating.

Reactions: Zebulon

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
they are very different. 265 is an express with a center helm, the 282 is a walk around.
So the 265 is wider under the top and bench seating is under the top. 282 has 2 chairs under the top and bench seat in cockpit
265 has tailgate, 282 has euro transom (do they still call it that?:rolleyes:).
So 265 has a clear cockpit for fishing with the feel of a much bigger inboard express
282 puts the motors way back and behind seating making fishing off the stern very difficult

282 cabin is more amenable to family....windows, extra bunk, table seating.

What are your thoughts on the bow/ flare between the two? They look to be different and I assume that difference plays a role in how they ride...

Funandplay

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m 6’2” tall and my head hits in my 265 express not sure in the sailfish the 265 is a great fishing boat for day trips one if the best but when you put your gear and down below then when it’s bedtime you have to move everything at least the 282 has a bed down below. I would sit or fish in each one before buying there are different boats for sure.
I’m 6’2 and I can stand in my 282 no problem

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 282 Sailfish, and had a 252 Sailfish before that. We have caught white marlin, tuna, and lots of other species on both boats, and although you can't fish the transom, like I could on my 29 Blackfin, it hasn't stopped us from catching our share of fish.
The 282 handles beautifully, and has both a V-berth and another berth which is actually under the helm. Tere is plenty of head room; the livewell and fish boxes are good, and the fuel capacity more than adequate.

That said, check them both out, and pick the one you like best. That's what I did.

Lsquared

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a long time boater and just sold our Defever 41 last fall. This is my first post on what is a great site, full of people who take the time to post. Now that I’ve fluffed y’all up a bit I’ll ask my question.

I‘ve been doing my homework on the Sailfish 282‘s. I really like the boat, I’m not much of a fisherman but that may change in the future, if not I’m good with using it for pleasure. The Yamaha 225 and 250 corrosion issues are somewhat of a concern.

Question, Is the cabin/head in the 265 the same size as the 282? did they just add length at the stern for the 282 ? is the hull shape similar? Thanks for any input
Went from a 35 silverton to the 282. You definitely will like the fuel burn much better. She handles the ocean really well. Had mine 3 years finally having to do the midsection on the engines. Still have not slept on it, just not the same as the larger sedans. Great boat though, very happy with it

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
What are your thoughts on the bow/ flare between the two? They look to be different and I assume that difference plays a role in how they ride...
I can't say for sure that the flare is different. They are both wide at 9-1/2 feet. The 282 seems taller (two steps up to helm level) and helm more forward maybe?
I'm sure the 282 rides as well as the 265. Maybe 282 is better at high speed with longer hull at same width?

Reactions: Zebulon