Question about the Tournament 225!

procos

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my current boat. I live in Michigan and have a home on Harsens Island. All my boating is done on Lake St. Clair. I currently own a 2005 Tige 24V which is a wakeboard/ski boat. I really love this boat for my kids who love to wakeboard, ski and tube. They are 3, 8 and 10. It is also extremely comfortable to take out for the day and hang out on with company. It also handles the rough water extremely well for a wakeboard boat. It however is useless for fishing. I have went back and forth on whether to keep the my Tige and just find a used center console like the Escape 209 for my fishing purposes. Or get a Tournament 225 which can be used for both.

So today I went by my local Grady dealer and he had a 205, 208, 209, 226, 232 & 258 in stock to check out. I didn't care for any of the walkaround cabin boats and really didn't love the 209 either. I however really like the layout and looks of the 205. So I am really thinking about getting the 225. I like the extra 2 feet and the way the engine is off the back of the transom on the 225 over the 205. So my question is has anyone used the 225 for water skiing and wakeboarding? I know it isn't going to be as good as my Tige for those purposes but if it is still pretty good I think I am willing to give up a perfect wake to have the added versatility of being able to fish off the 225.

It would be great to have my Tige and have a dedicated fishing boat like a center console but I honestly don't want the maintenance, gas and insurance bills of owning 2 boats. I'd rather just have one boat to cover all my interests. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Chuck

leek

Reaction score
T 225 as a ski boat

I have a 2008 Tournament 225 with 250 Yamaha as well as 9.9 kicker Yamaha. It has the tow pole. I have pulled several water skiers and wakeboarders. It did much better than I expected, the F250 has plenty of torque and a 220 # expert single skier came right out of the water. The wake is smaller than I would have expected at 32-36 mph. I don't have a wakeboard tower so the boarders could not get quite as much air but they seemed quite happy with the wake at around 16-18 mph.
Overall I am very happy with all aspects of the boat.

procos

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the reply. Well I am 41 and wakeboard but just learned last year so getting air isn't probably in the picture. I however have been slalom skiing my whole life. I only weigh 160 so getting me out of the water will be no issue. My daughter who is 8 is a pretty impressive wakeboarder but not sure that she is that concerned yet with getting air. I don't think you could add a wakeboard tower to a Grady because of the pull and weight that is involved I think a wakeboard tower has to be part of the design of a boat. I don't think you can add one if the boat isn't designed to have one.

Chuck

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: T 225 as a ski boat

leek said:
I have a 2008 Tournament 225 with 250 Yamaha as well as 9.9 kicker Yamaha. It has the tow pole. I have pulled several water skiers and wakeboarders. It did much better than I expected, the F250 has plenty of torque and a 220 # expert single skier came right out of the water. The wake is smaller than I would have expected at 32-36 mph. I don't have a wakeboard tower so the boarders could not get quite as much air but they seemed quite happy with the wake at around 16-18 mph.
Overall I am very happy with all aspects of the boat.

I have a 2008 225 as well. Any pics of yours with the 9.9 kicker? I would like to do that but thought it might be in the way. Thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My old Grady was the 192 and it was a fantastict lake boat. The 225 is on the same hull as 228 which we bought in march. While the 228 is a bit more heavy than the 225, which we seriously considered, it handles much different than our 192. The 228 does not turn like a ski boat at all and I can assume the hull on the 225 is similar. While a dual console boat, the 225 has an ocean running hull and is no ski boat. Take a ride in it before you buy it if water sports are your thing. We have towed a tube behind our boat and it was great. We will try wake boarding behind her soon.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
procos said:
bump for more info.
I own a 2008 Tournament 225 and do all my boating either on Lake Cumberland or the Ohio River. My boat has the ski pylon and I think it is the perfect all around boat. While no boat is perfect, this boat is one of Grady's most popular models because it has something for everyone. It is a great day boat for entertaining friends, it fishes extremely well, and with the ski pylon the kids are happy too. I assume your local dealer is the one in Detroit. You mentioned that was one model he didn't have in stock. That might tell you something about its popularity. I bought mine from Pat Grasso @ Beaver Park in Loraine, Ohio and have nothing but great things to say about them. They treated me like a king and I negotiated pretty hard. I fell confident that you will love a Tournament 225 and would recommend it whole heartedly. Good luck with your purchase.

procos

Reaction score
capt chris said:
procos said:
bump for more info.
I own a 2008 Tournament 225 and do all my boating either on Lake Cumberland or the Ohio River. My boat has the ski pylon and I think it is the perfect all around boat. While no boat is perfect, this boat is one of Grady's most popular models because it has something for everyone. It is a great day boat for entertaining friends, it fishes extremely well, and with the ski pylon the kids are happy too. I assume your local dealer is the one in Detroit. You mentioned that was one model he didn't have in stock. That might tell you something about its popularity. I bought mine from Pat Grasso @ Beaver Park in Loraine, Ohio and have nothing but great things to say about them. They treated me like a king and I negotiated pretty hard. I fell confident that you will love a Tournament 225 and would recommend it whole heartedly. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks so much for your insight. My sister used to have a cottage on Lake Cumberland. Great lake. I am really leaning towards getting the Tournament and selling my Tige. The main thing holding me back is I like the safety of the inboard and swim platform with my Tige. Really eases my mind not having to worry about it when my kids jump in the water with their wakeboards on.

Thanks,

Chuck

striped bass

Reaction score
Our 1998 Grady 225 Tournament has plenty of punch with the Yamaha 225 fuel injection OX66. Great pick up from low RPMs. No problem with towing skiers. We have sea trialed many GW models and are sold on the 225 Tournament as well as the 275. 307 as well but too expensive for us. You will be very happy.

IMG_0422.JPG

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
procos said:
capt chris said:
procos said:
bump for more info.

Thanks so much for your insight. My sister used to have a cottage on Lake Cumberland. Great lake. I am really leaning towards getting the Tournament and selling my Tige. The main thing holding me back is I like the safety of the inboard and swim platform with my Tige. Really eases my mind not having to worry about it when my kids jump in the water with their wakeboards on.

Thanks,

Chuck
If you're really serious about a 225 look at this link. This is a really great deal if they still have the boat.
http://www.fishtale.com/gradydeals_4159.php
As for the safety issue, this boat has a full width swim platform. Just turn off the engine before the kids hit the water.

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
I would agree with Leek. I have the built in ski pylon with the f250 motor on the 225 and it pulls wakeboarders and tubes much better than I expected. Definitely have to use the trim tabs and tilt in for best results. Like you said it's not going to compete with the boats made for that task but it will do ok. Swim platform and feshwater shower in the back go well with the boarders and tubers. Parthery says it is his dream boat so it must be the bomb. He has owned a gazillion Grady's.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bay Drifter said:
Parthery says it is his dream boat so it must be the bomb. He has owned a gazillion Grady's.

After all, my number one requirement is that it be trailerable...we have a place in FL and family there as well, and travel to the GA coast / Hilton Head/ TN River, etc...

I picked up the 180 because I like the small CC, but also because it was a really good deal....and my discretionary income fund has been impacted not only by the economy, but by a kitchen remodel and now a new A/C.

Besides - I've already had a 190, 205, 208, 226 and 228. So...I'll get that 225 eventually...just going to have to wait a bit longer... :D