Question for 30' Marlin owners

altouchet

Reaction score
Is there enough room for a small adult to sleep in the aft cabin under the helm? I'm 5'7".
How about 2 small adults? Is there an air conditioning vent back there?
Thanks,

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Is there enough room for a small adult to sleep in the aft cabin under the helm? I'm 5'7".

Yes. Just last month, we had a friend stay on the boat with us for a week. She said that she was very comfortable. I cut a piece of memory foam to fit and removed all the fishing rods. I'm 6'5" and I can lay down flat without touching.

How about 2 small adults?,

Yes. If they know each other really well. ;)

Is there an air conditioning vent back there?,

If the boat is equipped with it, yes. At least mine does.

Reactions: Ozz043

Meanwhile

Reaction score
The only issue I have with the mid berth is a bad back. Otherwise at 6' the midberth was comfortable. It has the CO2 monitor and an AC vent.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We fish on overnight trips a few times per year, typically four or five large guys. Owned the boat since 2008. Without a doubt, the aft berth is favored by everyone that ever slept or took a nap in the cabin. You can lean your back against the bulkhead and stay comfortable in most seas regardless of if your trolling, running, anchored or drifting. Two people in the aft berth does not happen often, typically only with family. I'm 6'2" and have no problem getting comfortable down there.

The forward bunks are obviously more open and airy, but the starboard side is a little short for me and unless its flat calm, it is not as comfortable due to being so far forward towards the bow.

Reactions: Ozz043

Ozz043

Reaction score
Two mates in the aft birth is a little cosy :eek: but great for the wife and I :p

Fishtales

Reaction score
Plenty of room down there. You can also sleep 2 kids comfortably.

Tunabox

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A little off topic but since you are all talking about the same boat I figured I would post my question here.

In the process of purchasing a 97 Marlin 300. Survey today showed moisture in the portside aft and starboard aft (sides), portside more than starboard. Also found a small area on starboard side delaminating, located approximately 5’ from the stern.

Wondering if anyone has dealt with these issues in the past and what costs were involved to make the repair.

Otherwise it’s a great boat. Surveyor was “not overly concerned” with the results and felt if the deal was right it could be fixed in the off-season.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Fishtales

Reaction score
One theory is water is making it through the two square vents on both sides and somehow getting into the coring. I'm assuming you have these vents, usually there if you have a generator. Grady uses balsa coring above the waterline on their bigger boats. Could be entering via the rub rail or a thru hole as well. You'd have to do some investigation to see where.