Question - Mounting Lee Jr outriggers on a Grady Sailfish?

Joint Venture

Reaction score
Hey guys -

I own a 2002 Grady White Sailfish. Decided I am going to mount Lee Jr. outriggers via the wishbone style cabin mounts. A few quick questions I am hoping some of you could answer:

1 - I have heard on some boats, you need to mount spacers between the outrigger base and cabin, to allow for the poles to "clear" the hardtop. Is this the case with the Grady Sailfish?
2 - I know Lee makes "regular" 19 foot poles, and 19 foot "extra strong" poles. Is it worth the additional $250 for the extra strong poles?
3 - What did you guys use for backing plates to reinforce mounting of the bases? I don't think Lee sells them, so I will likely have to make them?
4 - How did you rig them? I am hoping to avoid a situation where it makes accessing the walkaround a challenge.
5 - I spoke to Lee, they said that "hook" that holds the poles against the hardtop is a custom thing Grady did, but that they sell the part. Any of you guys have this? I think it makes sense to prevent the poles from bouncing off the hardtop.
6 - Did you mount on an angle leaning towards the stern? If so, any idea what degree and how to measure?

Thanks guys. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Bill

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Let the newer sailfish guys answer this.

On my '92 the pole meets the edge of the hardtop. There is a pivoting hook that catches it and keeps it from whipping around banging on the hardtop.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll give you what I know. See below.

1 - I have heard on some boats, you need to mount spacers between the outrigger base and cabin, to allow for the poles to "clear" the hardtop. Is this the case with the Grady Sailfish?

>>> Yes. My 1997 272 had square spacers made from starboard (?) about and inch thick. This aligned all bolt points on the same plane. I'd suggest asking GW about these.

2 - I know Lee makes "regular" 19 foot poles, and 19 foot "extra strong" poles. Is it worth the additional $250 for the extra strong poles?

>>> My 272 had 18s while my 300 has 19s. Neither has the spreader supports and really does not need them.

3 - What did you guys use for backing plates to reinforce mounting of the bases? I don't think Lee sells them, so I will likely have to make them?

>>> Ask GW customer service.

4 - How did you rig them? I am hoping to avoid a situation where it makes accessing the walkaround a challenge.

>>> Highly recommend the hatteras rig. Do a search here for a posting.

5 - I spoke to Lee, they said that "hook" that holds the poles against the hardtop is a custom thing Grady did, but that they sell the part. Any of you guys have this? I think it makes sense to prevent the poles from bouncing off the hardtop.

>>> It makes great sense to keep the poles from rubbing the hardtop while also giving extra support. Also they cover the hook with some tubing to avoid chafing the poles. I bought some from a hardware store for my 272. They were standard on my 300 (or the dealer did it - not sure).

6 - Did you mount on an angle leaning towards the stern? If so, any idea what degree

>>> Yes. As GW for the details. I'd guess around 15-20 degrees from vertical.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have to hook as well, it is an excellent idea and works great. Very easy to unlatch, I just push my poles forward a little and they give enough to come free. It keeps them sturdy from swaying or bouncing. I think jekyl on here just installed these outriggers and used the latch as well, he might give you a parts list he used and some suggestions, I believe he did it himself.

domsmith

Reaction score
Re: Question - Mounting Lee Jr outriggers on a Grady Sailfis

Hello...
On my previous Grady White Sailfish I installed the Lee jr outriggers with 19 foot poles myself. It was tough getting the correct angle and matching them. It took a long time to figure it out but they came out nice. I am not willing to screw up my new boat and have drill holes all over. Thanks..