Question on 1992 Yamaha Vx 250's

uncljohn

Reaction score
I thought those were the freshwater version of the SWS (SX model) EFI 2-stroke. Not sure though

chillintime

Reaction score
I've got the '95 Vx250's on my '92 Marlin. Assuming they are in good working order, they are generally bullet proof, but a bit thirsty. They are the highest horsepower salt-water series Yamaha's of their day. Given they are in good shape to begin with and given proper maintenance, they should provide the recreational boater many good hours of service.

I don't know your experience level with outboards of this type, so I'll add this caveat. If you should decide to go this route - make sure the cooling, fuel and oil systems are completely up to snuff before you get into the throttles on these. And, naturally, given that these are older motors, their is likely to be some if not alot of service required.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
'94 here. I owned one for 10 years when I had my '92 Seafarer. Great engine except for one BIG problem that it took forever to get fixed. Missed out at around 2800-3000 getting on step.
After much head-scratching and several parts thrown at it it turned out to be a "throttle position sensor indicator."

Mine was a "Saltwater Series" model, as were all the VX 250's of that vintage, I think.

OnTheBeach

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen. She is being surveyed Monday, and looked well cared for when I was aboard in the yard. She was run all summer by the marina owner, no issues.
Surveyor will do full walk through, hull, fittings, engines, electronics, etc.

I told the owner, a good survey, we will buy.

If so, I will become a real pest here-new to Grady Whites, especially the outboards.

Thanks again.