Question on battery type and chargers

Dhmako2

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Good afternoon everyone! Hope you are on the water today? Quick question as to type of batteries everyone likes and charger for 330 express with F350s

I would like to know if cranking or combo batteries are best since the 330 uses 2 batteries in parallel for each back. Also should I use a 30 amp 2 bank since each back does a lot of work for house and engines? I appreciate all the input
Capt David. Vessel Take it E-Sea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello, I am a retired Engineer EE , Have done a lot of work with batteries , worked at a research center, instrumenting vehicles, artificial limbs all kinds of stuff, AGM batteries all the way. very low self discharge rate, very long life span and I just got a smoking deal on 4. You might even do better because of Black Friday !!

https://www.landmsupply.com/exide-edge-agm-marine-battery-fp-agm-24dp

SKU #

MFG #
FP-AGM 24DP

Exide Edge AGM Marine Battery
Quantity: 4, SKU #2390031
Ship: UPS - Ground​

$639.80​

Subtotal:
Freight:​

$639.80
$100.00​

TOTAL:
$739.80​

pckid

Reaction score
Model
Escape
I have had a Minkota MK212PC charger for my 2007 209 for several years now. It is capable of charging 2 batteries at a maximum of 6 amps per battery. I leave connected to shore power 24/7 when not in use. Minkota makes the same charger in several configurations (number of batteries and charging amps). I have had several maintenance chargers over the years and this Minkota has been the most reliable. 6 years ago I replaced the two "Interstate" wet cell starting / deep cycle batteries with two "Optima" blue top marine starting / deep cycle batteries. The amount of cranking amps is definitely noticeable and at 6 years they are still in great shape. The only problem I had with the "Optima" batteries is when I accidentally left the ignition key on when in storage and completely drained both batteries. I did that twice! The maintenance charger and a higher amp charger would not bring them back to life. After calling "Optima", they had me take them to an authorized "Interstate / Optima" dealer where they used a special charger and procedure. They used a special Optima charger and hooked each battery in parallel to a known good battery and slow charged them back to life after 2 days. The Optima batteries are quite a bit more expensive (over double) than that of a high quality wet cell, however I feel they worth it because of the additional capacity, reliability and longevity.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Since you're asking about a charger, is it safe to assume that your current one took a dump?

I'm a big fan of the ProMariner Pronautic series of chargers. I have tons of experience with these on my own boats and customer's boats - literally hundreds. And they not only have advanced features like desulphation, but they have been extremely reliable over the decades I've been around them.

I don't know what your current charger is... HOWEVER, if you want to upgrade your chager you NEED to verify that both the existing wiring to the charger and the breaker are adequate - or plan on changing those things.

For batteries, since you only have two banks and no dedicated "house" bank, I think your best bet is using dual purpose batteries. You'll want to verify the specs in your Yamaha manual as to the MCA and RC requirements - especially if these are digital engines.

Personally, I haven't found any benefit to using something other than a quality wet cell battery since, with a proper charger (and using the charger on a regular basis), it's quite common to get 5 to 7 years from them. Deka make a very good battery and they make a model that would definitely satisfy any requirement by Yamaha - the "27M6".

All that said, this question is sometimes like a "which is the best oil" thread... many opinions.

Fishtales

Reaction score
GW recommends charging batteries.

daneagle2809

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My 2016 330 OEM setup was 2 banks of 2-group 27 AGM (brand is intimidator). The OEM charger is a ProMariner 50 amp. The setup has worked flawlessly for 4 + years to date. The intim1dators run $250 each here in the Tampa area.

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
AGM commercial batteries can last 20 years but that's the 6 volt version like they use in golf carts and solar panel systems. Think about the beating golf carts take every day and those batteries last a long time. They drive those things down to 11 volts every day. for many years. if have AGM's in everything now Bike's quads, Sled, trolling boats like Lund 2025, Now Marlin, I have thrown away thousands of pounds of batteries have not killed an AGM. Let them sit on the bench for a year and they are only down 10%.
As for chargers , I am not really brand loyal , I like the circuits to be potted and the charge algorithm to be Pulse width modulation with adjustable float voltage. The best charging systems pulse the batteries and monitor the difference on every pulse on and off as the voltage climb , climb , Climbs and then all of a sudden the Delta changes then you switch to float mode. Some have a top off mode, then Float. This method works well on all batteries . The most important thing is not to generate much heat, heat is what kills batteries ,heat is wasted power. Overly simplified but that's how it works.
Oh well, hope I did not bore you too much !
Have a good weekend Pete

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the Minn Kota MK345PC charger and very happy with it. Any of the smart chargers nowdays should handle proper care to the batteries.

I just did my semi annual Carbon Pyle 500 amp load test and my 2 Interstate Group 29's were borderline fail status. However, they are just now turning 8 years old! Not bad for Lead Acid. Not had any last this long since my old Delco Voyagers that went 12 years. I thought that impossible, but it was true.
Have had other Interstates not last as long.
I have 2 other Duracell AGM Group 31's I got from Sams Club 8 years ago. They tested as good as when new! So, I just went and got 2 more Duracell AGM's from Sams.
Now with 4 Group 31's, I should be with plenty of Battery. These guys are very heavy, which leads me to believe they have a lot more lead in them, why they do so well .

Interestingly, I paid $179 8 years ago for the AGM's from Sams Club, and the new one's I just purchased were the same exact price. Pretty good deal if you ask me. These Duracells are the same as the Deka's....same company makes them. I believe Johnson Controls.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Deka's are made by East Penn Mfg - about a half hour from me here in PA. Yes, Duracells are the exact same thing as a "real" Deka branded battery - just made with a different sticker to be sold at other places.

Robert, make sure your two new batteries aren't ever tied in with the two old ones or the old ones will start robbing power (and life) from the new ones.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Dennis, thanks for correction on the companies.
Yes, the 2 new batteries are for each motor are separate. The other 2 are house batteries, on their own. Charger is set to AGM charge format.