Question on Explore vs Voyager

ladygrady

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 24 foot walkaround. I am looking at an Explore and was wondering if there are any major ride quality differences b/t the Explorer and the Voyager? From the pics, it looks like a re-designed transom but didn't know if there are any other differences?

Any info is appreciated.

Also, any idea on cruising range with the 92 gallon tank and a 225 4 stroke?

I see they offered an aux tank for that boat. Is that something easy to add if I decide I need more range?

Thanks in advance.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
LadyGrady: the Voyager is a bit bigger of a boat boat in length, beam and weight. I expect it would ride a bit better. If you look through the 1995 and 1996 catalogs on Grady's website, you'll see the differences. Also, keep in mind that earlier Explorers will not have the SV2 hull and that also makes a difference. I believe the SV2 hull came to the Explorer in 1992, but I'm not positive on that.

As far as range goes, you can look at the performance data on Grady's site for the 258 with an F225. The 258 is the same hull as the 248, but with the running bottom extended to the transom (258) as opposed to the notched bottom on the 248.

In calm water I can get 3.0 mpg with my F250 so the F225 should be slightly better. But I have a soft top, not a hard top, so i weigh a little less than most.

I don't know about installing an aux tank. I'm sure it can be done, but I suspect that it would entail pulling up both cut-outs over existing tank areas (not too big of a deal) installing a new filler hose through the gunnel cap, a new fuel line and switch valve and then wiring it in. Drilling that big hole in the gunnel cap is not something I would do myself, but it's probably not that big of a job for a professional.

Good luck with your decision.

Rob

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had an 1992 24' Explorer with Grady Drive (bracket) for years and considered switching to a used 1996 or 1997 24' Voyager replacement that was fo sale (and a good dea at the timel). This was abut ten years ago and I believe there were many disadvantages on the newer boat, including:

1. Smaller cockpit and the eurotransom took away two seats and center storage area.

2. Waterline length was about two feet shorter as Grady did not extend the running surface all the way to the back of the boat back then.

3. Fuel capacity of the newer boat (without aux. fuel tank that I already owned) I was looking at was less than what I had already.

4. Boat seemed more cramped overall to me and the Admiral.

5. Voyager weighed about 500lbs. more yet only had a 3" wider beam.

6. Never test drove the boat, but I assumed that it would not ride as good as my Explorer since the running surface was shorter.

SeaV2 was introduced in 1992 on the 24' walkaround boats, this was also the first year they called it the 'Explorer' (used to be called 'Offshore'). In 1996 the redesigned Voyager came out.

With the 2000 250 Yamaha EFI I was able to get 2mpg at cruise doing 27-30mph on most occasions. At WOT it would burn up to 27 gph and top out at 43mph lighly loaded. With a F225 I would think you would cruise a little slower, say 25-28 mph and burn about 10-11 gph netting around 2.5mpg or better at cruise.