Question on generator and A/C pump on Marlin

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello, i had a couple questions about our new to us 2001 marlin. It has the factory installed Kohler generator in it and I would like to remove it. Has anyone else done this job, and if so, any tips? I didn’t get a chance to look at it too good, but how is it actually mounted?
Also, I I believe the A/C water pump was actually removed. The unit come on but no water pumps out. I checked the seacocks and one of the water hoses is cut between the seacock and a strainer. I’m guessing that’s where the pump is supposed to go? Can anyone verify this and what would the replacement pump part or model number be? Thank you!

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have a 2003. My generator is toast and I would like to remove it as well. I will either replace it with a Nextgen diesel generator or use a portable generator when I want one. Less overall trouble and yes I will be aware of the carbon monoxide. Post removal pics.

Reactions: Jrspawn

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
As for the generator, I have a 2002 Marlin, and replaced my 5.0E (no sound shield), with another one. The two main issues I have concluded is that you need to keep the bilge dry, as saltwater splashing about will reduce the life of the unit, and second, and this goes for the outboards and everything else on the boat too, a scheduled maintenance plan, and stick to it. If you intend to remove the genset entirely, just disconnect the cables, coil and tie or tape them up, as if at some point you or the next owner wishes to install the same unit, the wiring is all there.

As for the A/C, I two had to replace my A/C cooling pump, I replaced it with a remotely mounted Calpump MS580, which is self priming and easier to service. If you have not used the A/C I would further suggest having it checked, to insure that the head pressures are correct and has enough gas, plus inspect it for rust.

A note on hoses, as it goes without saying, inspect all the hoses, fittings and clamps, to insure they are the solid and the correct type for the job.

Tight lines,
Capt. Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrspawn