Question on Yamaha wiring

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I swapped out my 2001 ox66 250’s for some 2004 F225txrc’s. I’m having an issue though when it comes to the harnesses. I would like to try and still use the factory 2001 ox66 rigging harness if any way
possible. The boat side of the harness has two 4 pin connectors. One male connector with a green wire and green with red stripe wire. And the other boat side connector is a female plug that has a gray, orange, pink, and black wires. The f225 engine harness also has two 4 pin connectors but they are totally different colors. One female connector with all pink wires(with white/black stripes on some of the wires) and the other connector is a male connector that has a pink wire and black wire in it. Should these just plug together regardless of the color combos and work? Or can I modify the connections to work correctly. Thank you for the help.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
One of those connectors is probably the oil gauges and alarms, so it might not be needed. I had to go from 2007 F150's back to 2001 HPDIs due to the corrosion issue on my old Islander. I am trying to remember but I think I had to run the new harness, I know opposite of what you are doing but same idea. It honestly is not all that hard to do, the rigging tubes make it easy. Use the old wire to pull the new one right through. Hardest part was all the zip ties under the helm and exposing everything there.

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
One of those connectors is probably the oil gauges and alarms, so it might not be needed. I had to go from 2007 F150's back to 2001 HPDIs due to the corrosion issue on my old Islander. I am trying to remember but I think I had to run the new harness, I know opposite of what you are doing but same idea. It honestly is not all that hard to do, the rigging tubes make it easy. Use the old wire to pull the new one right through. Hardest part was all the zip ties under the helm and exposing everything there.
You were probably setup with command link gauges(square) on the 150’s before switching back to the older style. I understand that is a different setup all together.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
You were probably setup with command link gauges(square) on the 150’s before switching back to the older style. I understand that is a different setup all together.
They were round on the 2007's because I remember the HPDI's went into old holes without issue.

I guess if it was me and there was any difference I would just pull the new cables to keep the OX66 wiring intact for resale value.

Also I think there is a shorter harness from the key switch to the gauges, I would think the main harness (the thick one) would be the same, its going to be the smaller harnesses, like for the oil level etc that will need to be changed/removed. I wish I remember exactly what we had to do, but in any case it wasn't all that bad to do, hardest single part I always thought it getting all the rigging to fit into the cowling opening!