Question re using a Honda EU 2000 generator..

Oriole

Reaction score
If I had that generator, could I plug into inlet on boat (265 EX) on one side and the generator on the other and have everything available to me that I would have with shore power?

ahill

Reaction score
Yes, depending on the on board load. I run a 2000 for airconditioner, charger and galley on eco switch. A waterheater would probably change that.

Oriole

Reaction score
thanks for the post ahill..

can you tell me what an eco swith is? Obviously I know little about this.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do not own one yet (soon). I have read that in economy mode the generator runs at the lowest rpms possible, reducing the noise and fuel consumption. During heavy demand (air conditioner cycles on or microwave is turned on for example) the generator should not be left in economy mode. I suspect the generator would actually stall if left in the economy mode with a heavy draw. I'm sure others will chine in.

Maritime Matt

Reaction score
Tuna Man said:
I do not own one yet (soon). I have read that in economy mode the generator runs at the lowest rpms possible, reducing the noise and fuel consumption. During heavy demand (air conditioner cycles on or microwave is turned on for example) the generator should not be left in economy mode. I suspect the generator would actually stall if left in the economy mode with a heavy draw. I'm sure others will chine in.
Tuna man is correct. I have a Honda EU2000 myself that I use in my marine business. In Eco mode, the motor runs at its factory set slow rpm.
When a demand for power is applied, the rpm's increase on surge and will drop to where they need to be for that load. If maximum powere is constantly being drawn, I believe Honda recommends the Eco switch turned off.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an EU2000i I run on my 265 Express. A Grady dealer last season before I bought it recommended it and recommended getting an adaptor to run from the AC side through the shore power chord and plug it as if
I were at the dock and charge through the battery charger.....after using it and doing more research, I came to find that doing this limits the Honda to only 10A output when its max is 15A, the adapter is limited to 10A unless you ran 2 shore power chords. Also, most Grady chargers are only 10A per leg. Hooking it up DC and clamping it to the batteries would allow a full 15A charge if so required, this is how I plan to run it this year. I was on the phone today with the dealer that had first recommended it and after going over all this they agreed this method would be better. Only issue is ensuring your batteries can take a 15A charge for a long period of time, most can but not all...some will overheat and leak so be careful. I am going to AGM batteries and this should avoid any issues here. You can simply call your battery manufacturer to ask them directly.

I run on eco mode, as we turn stuff on and off it varries the rpm's to match our required draw, it only outputs as much as it needs to, nothing more so this mode saves fuel. Off eco mode will burn a lot more fuel a lot quicker. We burn about 1.5 tanks a night(8hours).

A typical 265 with electronics at about 6 amps, and 2 stock spreader lights at about 9 puts the Honda at it's limit, but with good batteries you will have 0 issues keeping up and supplying all your electrical needs, plus the batteries have a reserve current incase you draw slightly more then you are charging...a battery with a bigger RC is better if your worried about drawing too much. I fish offshore and run 5 spreader lights....24 amps!! We get about 6 hours of power before our lights dim on us.(current batteres are 525CCA and 80RC...too small...going to 880CCA, 130RC AGM batteries this season) I am going to LED lights this season to drop that load, going to be 8amps with 5 lights, and also increasing my lumens of lighting roughly 33% from what I have now with the 5 halogen spreaders.

We strap the Honda EU200i above the hatch on the v berth. We put a rubber mat over the hatch so it does not scratch, and then use 4 ratcheting straps from walmart to hold the generator in place. We straped it to the bow rail. You can add clips in the deck to secure it to if you wish to keep an easier path at the bow, something I will do down the road. In 4 ft seas it never moved last year. We store it in the cabin when underway. Putting the generator up forward keeps most of the fumes away from the cabin to keep CO2 from being an issue. Also carry a meter onboard to alarm us incase there ever is. Putting it in the cockpit would allow fumes to spiral inside the cockpit and into the cabin, not something you want. The 265 does not have a euro transom so you cannot put it back there, and persoanlly I'd rather have it forward and as high as possible to keep it dry and safe.

Feel free to ask any other questions

Tom

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We use an EU-2000 with an extended tank. Gives us an additional six gallons and it will run all weekend. Set it up on the swim platform with the tuna door open - exhaust facing aft. Short plug to connect to the shore power inlet box.

Can power up the entire boat, including the 6,500-BTU A/C unit, but not the hot water heater. Can turn off the A/C then power up the water heater, but not both at once.

We also run in Econ mode.

Brian

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That 15A is on the DC side of the charger NOT the AC. The light load is 24A on the DC side. 24A on the 110 side, you better put on some suntan lotion.

Unless you're running an AC, the economy mode should supply more than enough power. Be carful using water heaters, they draw the most power.

awc4kds

Reaction score
Guys,

I hope that you don't mind me jumping in with a related question.

I have the same Honda generator but have had difficulty when hooking into the shore power on my '06 Marlin. According to my electric panel, I'm only getting approx 70 volts, rather than 120. To connect the generator to the shore power inlet on the boat, I'm using a short adapter that was provided with the boat (three prongs on one end, female shore power connection on the other end) then hooking it up to my shore power cord. A friend mentioned that I need a different kind of adapter designed for RVs. What adapter do you use to connect the Gen to the shore power cord (or shore power inlet)?

thanks guys!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Buy a hubbel adaptor, 3 prong male to 30A 125V female adapter, they run about $40 and work perfectly. http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/htm/MarineAdapters.htm

HBL31CM28 I believe is the one you will need. It plugs directly into the Honda and then just connect the adaptor to your shore power chord and run the shore power like you would at the dock.

Hubbel also makes various cable adaptors that are on that page as well and are better quality but higher priced, the simple adapter I use works fine...in 4 ft seas it never came loose. If you think it might get really wet, one of the chord's might be a little better. Hubbell is the way to go, they make high end marine chords and adapters.

Bassman

Reaction score
You may want to call Yamaha regarding the use of AGM style batteries for use with F225's, I have the same setup and Yamaha said that the batteries wouldn't last long with the type of alternators on thier motors.

gradyfish22 said:
I have an EU2000i I run on my 265 Express. A Grady dealer last season before I bought it recommended it and recommended getting an adaptor to run from the AC side through the shore power chord and plug it as if
I were at the dock and charge through the battery charger.....after using it and doing more research, I came to find that doing this limits the Honda to only 10A output when its max is 15A, the adapter is limited to 10A unless you ran 2 shore power chords. Also, most Grady chargers are only 10A per leg. Hooking it up DC and clamping it to the batteries would allow a full 15A charge if so required, this is how I plan to run it this year. I was on the phone today with the dealer that had first recommended it and after going over all this they agreed this method would be better. Only issue is ensuring your batteries can take a 15A charge for a long period of time, most can but not all...some will overheat and leak so be careful. I am going to AGM batteries and this should avoid any issues here. You can simply call your battery manufacturer to ask them directly.

I run on eco mode, as we turn stuff on and off it varries the rpm's to match our required draw, it only outputs as much as it needs to, nothing more so this mode saves fuel. Off eco mode will burn a lot more fuel a lot quicker. We burn about 1.5 tanks a night(8hours).

A typical 265 with electronics at about 6 amps, and 2 stock spreader lights at about 9 puts the Honda at it's limit, but with good batteries you will have 0 issues keeping up and supplying all your electrical needs, plus the batteries have a reserve current incase you draw slightly more then you are charging...a battery with a bigger RC is better if your worried about drawing too much. I fish offshore and run 5 spreader lights....24 amps!! We get about 6 hours of power before our lights dim on us.(current batteres are 525CCA and 80RC...too small...going to 880CCA, 130RC AGM batteries this season) I am going to LED lights this season to drop that load, going to be 8amps with 5 lights, and also increasing my lumens of lighting roughly 33% from what I have now with the 5 halogen spreaders.

We strap the Honda EU200i above the hatch on the v berth. We put a rubber mat over the hatch so it does not scratch, and then use 4 ratcheting straps from walmart to hold the generator in place. We straped it to the bow rail. You can add clips in the deck to secure it to if you wish to keep an easier path at the bow, something I will do down the road. In 4 ft seas it never moved last year. We store it in the cabin when underway. Putting the generator up forward keeps most of the fumes away from the cabin to keep CO2 from being an issue. Also carry a meter onboard to alarm us incase there ever is. Putting it in the cockpit would allow fumes to spiral inside the cockpit and into the cabin, not something you want. The 265 does not have a euro transom so you cannot put it back there, and persoanlly I'd rather have it forward and as high as possible to keep it dry and safe.

Tom

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bassman said:
You may want to call Yamaha regarding the use of AGM style batteries for use with F225's, I have the same setup and Yamaha said that the batteries wouldn't last long with the type of alternators on thier motors.

gradyfish22 said:

Tom

spoke with Yamaha today after seeing the post. They stated that the DieHard's have not been giving them as many issues as other AGM's, but they only recommend Flooded Batteries be used. I talked with a local dealer, seems Opti's and Verado's are the same way. Outboard charging system's cannot handle the way AGM's like to be charged apparently, yet Car's, Inboard engines and I/O's can....hopefully the outboard market wakes up soon and fixes this for the future.

Very thankful for the heads up Bassman!! Will be going to group 27's, Grady Did not leave much room for them since Group 24's were standard...going to get creative to get them to fit. Took measurements today and they barely fit.

ahill

Reaction score
Mine runs the airconditioning (5,000btu marine air new in 06) and charger and cabin lights on eco mode. Occasionally the gen will speed up when ac kicks on although not always. Probably due to charging load. The owners manual recs that when running intermittent demand such as a power saw that the eco switch be turned off. I use a 20 amp adapter pigtail to my 30 amp shore power cord.
The aux tank is made by durationtanks.com and is great.
When in use mine sits on a nonskid pad on the platform of my 272 with exhaust facing aft. I keep the access door closed and tie a lanyard to the gen just in case. I also fabricated a canvas weather cover that keeps rain off but ventilates well. Kind of like a Bimini top for the gen.
I'm in So FL so it gets a workout in the warmer months.

Bobcat25

Reaction score
EU2000I

First off this is a great Generator in saying that I am assuming some of yall’s onboard generator has gone out like mine. New Westerbeke around 5K Honda EU2000I 1,000 , I am seeing where you guys say your running spreaders , Electronics, electrical meaning Ref. Battery Charger is this during the day or night. I normally do not run my EU2000 until night time , I do fish offshore about an 2 ½ hour run and then 6 hours of wreck/rig fishing .once tied up for the night I will put the battery switch from one to all crank up the Honda turn battery charger and spreaders on fish couple three hour turn battery charger off and a/c on. When morning comes I will switch battery switch to two and start the day over. Has anyone done anything with the space below deck where old generator was?i did learn a couple things the external tank type of batteries to use
thank yall ,thank you Grady White for having OwnersForum.
Bobcat

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I tried the EU200i generator on my Marlin for the first time this past weekend and my electric panel read between 68 and 72 volts. Got out my volt meter and at the generator it read 127.5 v's ... plugged in a 25' 12ga extension cord and got same reading(127.5) at output end of cord, added the marinco 83A adaptor(15amp male/30am female) and still got same reading... ZERO voltage drop. Plugged the 83A into my shore power recepticle and my electric panel still shows 68-72 volts. I would automatically assume that the problem is between the boats 30amp recepticle and the panel box... BUT if that is the case why does the panel read OK when using shore power supply? I'm not an electrician so any and all suggestions welcomed. The 83A adaptor is brand new... could the connection between that and 30A boat recepticle be sloppy enough to have a voltage drop of that size? It really didn't feel any sloppier than the shore power cord. Thanks.

gradydriver

Reaction score
I used to sell Honda generators....great little units...they make all sizes....they REALLY don't like salt water....What does?....make sure they don't get salt spray.