Question: VA / Maryland Registration and Reciprocation

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a question about the legality of fishing in VA waters (Chesapeake Bay) with a valid registration from other state. In years past, VA would honor boat registration and fishing licenses from other states while fishing the Chesapeake. Now I am told that even if these requirements are met, there is a requirement from VA to inform VA, and receive a permit for doing so, that the boat comes into VA.

Do any of our readers know anything about this, and maybe have the links to websites where I can read up on this? Thanks in advance.

alashley

Reaction score
hotajax,
Please go to the following website (Virginia Marine Resources Commission), which has information on licensing and reciprocity
between Maryland and Virginia:

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/index.shtm

VA only has reciprocity with MD and Potomac River Fisheries license holders for fishing in STATE or joint waters.
All East Coast states have been compelled to participate in NMFS, NOAA federal data collection program of
recreational salt water angling. You may only have to register in VA to let them know you are fishing in their waters.
There is a free registration link on the VMRC website to do so IF you are required under their rules.
You need to read the information under the links about recreational licensing and reciprocity and try to make
sense of what they are saying.