Questions about an 82 Grady

Bowens911

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1982 GW Sailfish 25'. I have another boat but I've always wanted a Grady. This boat currently has engines that don't run. I was thinking about restoring this boat and repowering in a year or two. I'm trying to learn as much as I can but I don't know alot about GW. Are they all fiberglass or will this boat have wood in it? Is is likely that I will need to rip the deck and transom out of this thing? Seems like a fun project, I'm just leery of a boat that's as old as I am. Any info you guys can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks.

JeffN

Reaction score
In '82 a Sailfish was outboard equipped correct? The bottom is solid glass on mine but the sides, decks, and transom are cored with plywood (to my knowledge). I would have a surveyor check the deck and and transom in particular and the stringers too. I have replaced my transom (I/O powered) and the deck over the gas tank may need repair this winter. I have owned this boat for many years and I have pretty good idea of it's condition. Yours is more of a wild card as who knows it's history and care. If it is mostly sound and you can do most of your own work it may well be a good project. Just know what you are getting into ahead of time. They are a nice boat and clean up well if they have not been too neglected, I enjoy mine and it has been a relatively easy boat to work on. If you have any particular questions about the boat feel free to PM me. I am no expert by any means but over the course of my ownership I have learned how to get into a few of the spaces on the boat and that might save you a little time if you do get into a restoration.

Bowens911

Reaction score
Yes, the boat has twin outboards. Is there a way to check for rot other than getting a surveyor? I have done some fiberglass work in the past so I would feel comfortable doing it if I had to. I don't think I want to do an entire transom and deck replacement though.

JeffN

Reaction score
When I was checking my transom I was told to tap the transom with a plastic headed hammer and IIRC if you hear a hollow sort of sound your core is wet.Unfortuately I did hear the hollow sound. I'm sure someone here has more experience and info than I about this and will chime in. As far as the decks I would think you can get a good idea of their condition just by walking on them. If they feel soft you have a problem. I have one small spot on the cover over my fuel tank and I will attend to it this winter. The cover is removable and I have had it up before so I just have to remove it again and recore it. If you have soft spots in other deck areas you have a much larger issue. You might want to take up the fuel tank covers that way you could get a look at the stringers too. Also the surveyors use a moisture meter of some sort. I don't know where one would go about finding one or how expensive they are. If you are worried about the cost of a survey keep in mind the cost of the rehab will be way larger so you may want to pass on this project. You might check around your area to find a glass guy to check out the condition of the core material. As far as most of the mechanicals you should be able to tell what works and what does not. Personally I would spring for the survey with someone that has a good reputation and knows their stuff with older boats. In my case I have a relatively good idea of what my boats condition is so I don't mind doing a little work every winter but if I were to tackle a used boat new to me I would want to have a very good idea of what I was facing before I got into it.

Bowens911

Reaction score
I think I can get this boat for almost nothing. I don't mind spending the money that it would take to do a proper rebuild. I'm not a cut corners person. I would plan on having this boat for a long time so I'm not worried about resale or anything. I guess my main concern would be finding some damage that can not be repaired, and having to pay to scrap the boat. I'm going to see if I can find a surveyor.

JeffN

Reaction score
Bowens911 said:
I think I can get this boat for almost nothing. I don't mind spending the money that it would take to do a proper rebuild. I'm not a cut corners person. I would plan on having this boat for a long time so I'm not worried about resale or anything. I guess my main concern would be finding some damage that can not be repaired, and having to pay to scrap the boat. I'm going to see if I can find a surveyor.

A big +1 to that. Unrepairable damage is what I would be afraid of too. If you can get the boat for almost nothing all the better. I have owned my '83 since '87 and I enjoy working on it, doing my winter projects to it and using it in the summer. I repowered about five seasons ago and since have been catching up with cabin window rebuild, new instuments, switches, fuses, switch panels, new hull stripes, new fuell fill and vent lines, drain hoses, thru hull fittings and so on. The boat is almost thirty years old and I just need to catch up a bit but I am just about there. If your boat is sound it will be a good project. I have found that with you can get most places in the hull and while sometimes at first look I think you can't get there from here but with a little poking around I discover you can. I am not an expert by any means but do feel that all in all the boats were well made so it makes for a worthwhile project in my view. Let us know how you make out.

richie rich

Reaction score
if you plan on restoring, it will run you about 3 or 4K in materials if you do the work yourself....thats stringers, transom, tanks, electrical etc...then you'll have a great hull that will last another 30 years...but it will be a lot of work...if you pay someone, you're looking at 10k for the structural repairs....the engines are another story....watch the weight factor on that hull...the original motors weigh less than 450 each

Bowens911

Reaction score
richie rich said:
if you plan on restoring, it will run you about 3 or 4K in materials if you do the work yourself....thats stringers, transom, tanks, electrical etc...then you'll have a great hull that will last another 30 years...but it will be a lot of work...if you pay someone, you're looking at 10k for the structural repairs....the engines are another story....watch the weight factor on that hull...the original motors weigh less than 450 each

I was thinking around 5k, so if it came in at 3-4k I would be happy. Any engine reccomendations? I have an 04 Yamaha F150 on my current boat and it's been flawless.