Questions about buying a 228 Seafarer...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looking at possibly buying a 228 Seafarer back on the east coast. Have spoken with the owner a couple of different times, it's a 2000 and newer GW, with a 4 stroke 225 Yamaha outboard on it. I've spoken with a couple of different survey/inspection companies and a lot of them are telling me to walk away from something of that vintage boat/motor. I've heard about the corrosion issues on the early 2000's Yamaha 4 strokes and am willing to roll the dice on the motor with getting a favorable inspection or a survey. That being said, I just spoke with an surveyor on the phone and he said to walk away from the boat (hull) itself. He's saying that they're known for getting water in the transom/stringers and that they will rot really badly and that it's quite expensive to fix it. He also said that the majority of the GW's in this vintage, up until I believe he said 2012 or so, had these issues? I didn't realize it was that big of a problem and especially there can be an issue with the transom or transom bracket? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They went with Greenwood transoms about 1998 and have had much fewer problems with rot than the older vintage boats. The transom cap is a design flaw. But if the boat has been kept out of the rain the transom is likely fine. A good surveyor should easily be able to tell if there is water in the transom. But in my experience, many surveyors are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier and base their appraisals upon rumors and mythologies that have developed about certain brands over the years. Some of the most opinionated *ssholes I've met over the years have been marine surveyors. The trick is to find a good one that will provide you with the data so you can make your own decision.

All they need to do is to run a moisture meter over the transom and give you the readings at 6" intervals. The absolute moisture readings are not that important since most have no way of calibrating their meters. It's the differences that are important. If the moisture level goes up near the top of the transom or around bolt or screw holes, you could have a problem. If the transom is dry, the stringers are likely dry as well. A good surveyor knows how to identify bad wood in transoms and stringers.

A good surveyor will also insist on having the engine midsection scoped and have the thermostat covers removed. While this can't always eliminate the possibility of internal corrosion, it will catch most of the problems if they exist. Many people factor the cost of replacing a midsection into the cost of buying a boat with an older F200-F250.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Doc for the quick reply. I don't know a ton about GW's but remembered hearing something about the change in the late 90's to a different kind of wood/plywood and hadn't heard of a ton of issues or anything like that. I've only been on here for a year or so and it seems like the people that do have issues are more likely ones that have an older boat? I think the one guy that I spoke with, it seemed like he just wasn't interested in doing the survey/inspection or that he was too booked or whatnot, as he said he was 2-3 weeks out. Thanks again!

seasick

Reaction score
What the heck is a '2000 and newer GW' ? It's either a 2000 or it's not:)
On another note, I was told a long time ago, by a vey experienced surveyor that he from a professional and ethical standpoint would never tell a client to not purchase a specific boat. The surveyors responsibility is to tell you the condition, what needs immediate attention, what may need significant work and perhaps a ballpark range of estimates to repair the more critical issues. The surveyor also should share experiences with similar models and makes. It is the buyer's decision to purchase or not.
Most of the members of this forum are aware of some serious issues with some late model Gradys. There is no magical 2012 cutoff date for quality issues that I am aware of. I am also not aware of . The corrosion issues are much more prevalent in the late 2005,6 and 7 model years but there are exceptions.

I am quite surprised that multiple inspection companies (whatever that means, most surveyors are independent) would blindly tell you to walk away based purely on model and year.

Last edited:

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It seems to me the surveyors are just busy and pushing off the work, who knows. You could probably fly there and check it out. If you share the general location you might get some local assistance from the forum. Anything with good bones can be fixed, but of course you’re right to be diligent.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I‘ll share my experience, I had a 542 Campion for 11 years, built in British Columbia and a great boat. My family was growing and decided to look for a 228 Seafarer about 5 years ago. I do a lot of research, I mean a lot of research, drives my wife nuts. I went out on a limb and boat a 1999 228 Seafarer off a auction site in Maple Ridge BC in November 2019 which was basically a salvage sale, not sure why but I don’t understand the insurance industry. These Grady boats are awesome, well built , hand laid fibreglass, not chopped like other manufactures. Do your due diligence, look all through the boat. The worst thing is a sunk boat but that is easy to see. Open the hatches, floor boards, cuddy hatches, stick your head in their and smell. My experience has paid off for me, they are great boats. I’ve been in big water off northern and west coast Vancouver Island with Trophy’s and other Campions beside me but the Grady wins hands down. Again just do your due diligence and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Phil Junior

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It seems to me the surveyors are just busy and pushing off the work, who knows. You could probably fly there and check it out. If you share the general location you might get some local assistance from the forum. Anything with good bones can be fixed, but of course you’re right to be diligent.
Hi i just went to South Carolina and purchased a 91 Seafarer 228 boat is a freshwater boat i did not have a survey done i talked with owners of a couple of 228 one is an 1986 and one a 1990 they have owned these boats for more than 7 years and have not had any issues with the transom both have Evinrudes on them i always like to talk with boat owners this is my 2nd GW and well worthy the trip to South Carolina to get her

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In 2012 I bought a 1999 Seafarer 228 with a Yamaha OX 66 225 outboard,hard top, bow pulpit and windlass, it has the 92 gallon main fuel tank and the 10 gallon fresh water with the transom shower and some other options. It is a very large 22 foot boat.It will run 41 mph fully loaded with fuel, water ,ice and two people. The engine being on a bracket and not intruding into your fishing space gives it a much bigger boat feel.We are on Long Island and have taken this boat out in the Atlantic, been threw Plum Gut in Orient and all over the Long Island sound, its a very safe and capable boat with a little experience in trim tab use and engine trim. We had a 1981 Aquasport Family Fishermen 22 ft also with a 225 Yamaha Excel before this. There is no comparison between the two. The Aquapsort was like a cork and you got beaten up pretty good in any king of chop. Don't think you will regret the Grady.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What the heck is a '2000 and newer GW' ? It's either a 2000 or it's not:)
On another note, I was told a long time ago, by a vey experienced surveyor that he from a professional and ethical standpoint would never tell a client to not purchase a specific boat. The surveyors responsibility is to tell you the condition, what needs immediate attention, what may need significant work and perhaps a ballpark range of estimates to repair the more critical issues. The surveyor also should share experiences with similar models and makes. It is the buyer's decision to purchase or not.
Most of the members of this forum are aware of some serious issues with some late model Gradys. There is no magical 2012 cutoff date for quality issues that I am aware of. I am also not aware of . The corrosion issues are much more prevalent in the late 2005,6 and 7 model years but there are exceptions.

I am quite surprised that multiple inspection companies (whatever that means, most surveyors are independent) would blindly tell you to walk away based purely on model and year.
Well I didn’t want to give too many specifics on the boat as I’m seriously interested in purchasing it and have been looking for one since last fall. If I wasn’t serious about the boat I’d share more details and even the listing/location. The above was just what I’d heard from the one surveyor who said they have a nickname of being called “Grady Wet’s”. Also, the 2012 year is just what he said it was, whether that’s true or not, I don’t know? I do know that they switched over in the late 90’s to the other kind of wood mentioned above. I was surprised though as a couple of the surveyors mentioned being hesitant about inspecting one. It seems now though that they might just be too busy or not have the desire to do a pre purchase boat inspection… and several had answering machines or messages on their websites saying as much.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They went with Greenwood transoms about 1998 and have had much fewer problems with rot than the older vintage boats. The transom cap is a design flaw. But if the boat has been kept out of the rain the transom is likely fine. A good surveyor should easily be able to tell if there is water in the transom. But in my experience, many surveyors are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier and base their appraisals upon rumors and mythologies that have developed about certain brands over the years. Some of the most opinionated *ssholes I've met over the years have been marine surveyors. The trick is to find a good one that will provide you with the data so you can make your own decision.

All they need to do is to run a moisture meter over the transom and give you the readings at 6" intervals. The absolute moisture readings are not that important since most have no way of calibrating their meters. It's the differences that are important. If the moisture level goes up near the top of the transom or around bolt or screw holes, you could have a problem. If the transom is dry, the stringers are likely dry as well. A good surveyor knows how to identify bad wood in transoms and stringers.

A good surveyor will also insist on having the engine midsection scoped and have the thermostat covers removed. While this can't always eliminate the possibility of internal corrosion, it will catch most of the problems if they exist. Many people factor the cost of replacing a midsection into the cost of buying a boat with an older F200-F250.

Thanks for the info. I’m definitely going to go forward with the process and have a surveyor look the boat over. At the very most Id be out $500-600 if the boat was a complete junker. But it sounds as though the one surveyor didn’t want the work and/or was just extremely biased and so forth. I was going to say, I’ve not heard of a ton of issues on the 1998 and newer body style but then I’ve only been on here for just over a year. Thanks again for the advice everyone, definitely was more along the lines of what I wanted to hear instead of what that surveyor told me.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The 228 has a fully enclosed stern . There is no transom cap between the top of the boat and the boat that popped out of the mold. Grady has this thing where they finish the joint with some sealant and a strip of aluminum before the motors are mounted. This spot has been notorious for cracking ( sealant ) and letting water intrusion happen. The 228 doesn't have that strip of aluminum and the gunwhale wraps all the around as the motor is on a bracket.

Yes, the F225 had some issues with dry exhaust corrosion and if the previous owners addressed it , it won't be a problem at all.

Doc is right, Grady switched to Greenwood XL for the structural lay u of the boat after 98. It is supposed to have a 50 year no rot warranty.

If you like the 228 shop around for a 2000 or newer boat and get a surveyor who will actually give the boat his professional attention rather than his opinion. his comments to you show how ignorant he is of the model of the boat. Fully enclosed stern Grady's with brackets have less transom issues than those with notched transoms and the aluminum strip.

bazzturd

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Go fly out and look at it. I made a deposit and flew out with no inspection purchasing my current boat. If you get in it and looks in the bilge, it will be obvious if there has been water in there. Mine was clean and bright as a light. No water standing inside and places that would be prone to water infiltration were dry as a bone. You really need to pull the bait tank for a good bilge inspection as well as the forward fuel tank deck cover. Also you should ask if the boat has sat in water and if so how often have the thru hulls been re-sealed. Those answers can set things in motion for you. If the price is right just go look at it or have a local shop give it an informal once over with compression and annual maintenance to call your purchase inspection and just get it.