Questions/concerns about possibly purchasing a 228 Seafarer...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Late to the party here, but the others have given you sage advice on this boat. An uncooperative owner is a huge red flag along with the misrepresented hours on the motor and shopping list of other issues. These are visible issues, no telling what you're not seeing. One thing not mentioned as a possible issue is the dual fuel tanks. This boat is 5 years older than mine and given the condition of the motor and other broken items, I doubt any type of freshwater flushing has occurred on the tanks. Fuel tank replacement is a huge hit to your investment, I've been there. Wise move on your part to walk on this one. Don't get discouraged, another will come along for you, just keep looking. Going into spring might be a tough time to find one, everyone is gearing up for the season. The end of the season some should show up with folks wanting to either get out or make a change. You'll have a random one pop up from time to time, so keep an eye out for it.

Good luck on the search.

Agreed. Rather frustrating though as I’ve been looking almost all winter for a boat and didn’t see many 228’s that fit my needs. Or they were overpriced, sold before I could make an offer and so on. But yes, the search will continue on. Thanks again to everyone for your advice and replies.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Going forward,if you find 228s newer than 2000 Grady used Greenwood XL engineered wood in the transoms and stringers with a 50 year not rot guarantee. That should give some peace of mind in regards to that.

I read your entries and it's possible the owner is just broke . He can't afford to fix it and needs as much from the boat as he can. Divorce,lost his job due to COVID or any other reasons.. I don't know. Doesn't really matter though. Good luck on your search.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Good luck in your search! It's a really bad time to purchase a boat right now. Houses/Boats/Jeeps must be on flyers at the Florida border with the mass influx we have seen during the pandemic. My buddy was in a head on collision and is liquidating just about everything while he waits for a settlement. His boat was worth about $16.5K and now will get $23K+. Sounds like you are doing your homework! Most likely you will over pay, but at least you can overpay on a good boat!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck in your search! It's a really bad time to purchase a boat right now. Houses/Boats/Jeeps must be on flyers at the Florida border with the mass influx we have seen during the pandemic. My buddy was in a head on collision and is liquidating just about everything while he waits for a settlement. His boat was worth about $16.5K and now will get $23K+. Sounds like you are doing your homework! Most likely you will over pay, but at least you can overpay on a good boat!

Exactly. I don't mind spending a little bit more than what I, or others, may think the boat is worth. But I'm not going to spend considerably more and lose my shorts on the deal just because of an impulse buy or because I didn't do my homework. To begin with, the deal sounded somewhat decent when I thought everything was in working order but that changed very quickly on Monday when I heard back from the dealer. With the prices being different on the east coast compared to what they are on the west coast, even if I paid full asking price, had to buy a brand new trailer, new electronics, downriggers and so on... I still think I'd be into the boat less than what it's worth out here on the west coast. That being said, with all of the "unknowns" or "uncertainties" and the things that are "inoperable"... to me it just seems like too much of a risk when rolling the dice. Had the engine diagnostic/readout come back with a clean bill of health, I'd likely be driving or flying back to Florida as we speak to pick it up. I'm generally one of those that won't spend more on something than what I think it's worth but in this case, paying a bit extra for fun and fishing can definitely be worth it. The rest of the time I generally add up in my mind what I think the total cost of ownership is and what repairs I might need to do in the near future, and if it's more or equal to the value of what I'm purchasing I'll generally look elsewhere or offer a lower price. Oh well.... the search continues on.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I think you are going about things the right way. There are too many red flags on that boat. I bought a Triumph in similar shape and I fought it for 2 years before throwing in the towel. I went a little crazy and bought new, I got lucky in tech so I could afford it. And yeah, the peace of mind is nice but it is about $130K before electronics so not really an option for a lot of people.

If I couldn't have afforded new then I'd be doing exactly what you are doing, don't get emotional, just get the facts, and walk away from stuff like this boat. There are a lot of 228s out there (and now that I know you are in Seattle, it's absolutely the right choice. Unless you get a similar one in a bigger size - size matters). I went from a center console to my 228 and the difference in protection from the cold was huge.

So keep looking and find a local forum for Seattle and see if you can find a buddy to take you out.

Good luck, patience. I shopped for a couple of years to find my construction tractor, it's painful to wait that long but I saved myself about $30K.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you are going about things the right way. There are too many red flags on that boat. I bought a Triumph in similar shape and I fought it for 2 years before throwing in the towel. I went a little crazy and bought new, I got lucky in tech so I could afford it. And yeah, the peace of mind is nice but it is about $130K before electronics so not really an option for a lot of people.

If I couldn't have afforded new then I'd be doing exactly what you are doing, don't get emotional, just get the facts, and walk away from stuff like this boat. There are a lot of 228s out there (and now that I know you are in Seattle, it's absolutely the right choice. Unless you get a similar one in a bigger size - size matters). I went from a center console to my 228 and the difference in protection from the cold was huge.

So keep looking and find a local forum for Seattle and see if you can find a buddy to take you out.

Good luck, patience. I shopped for a couple of years to find my construction tractor, it's painful to wait that long but I saved myself about $30K.

Indeed, and thanks for the advice. Being that I live in the PNW, I don't think I'd ever want a center console or open bow boat and that's one of the reasons why I like the 228. The 208 and 226 both seem like nice boats but I have a mooring buoy out in front of my beach cabin on Whidbey Island and the thought of having a notched or not fully enclosed transom doesn't sound very appealing to me. After that, the 232 Gulfstream in my opinion has kind of a funky designed cabin area with the bunk style upper sleeping arrangement and generally it has twin outboards. Which can get costly, are generally not as good on fuel economy as a lighter, single outboard boat and I've heard they're more difficult to trailer/tow since they have a 9'3" beam compared to the 228 with only an 8' beam. I'm trying to be patient, rather disappointed though as I thought this boat was going to be "the one". Oh well, nothing a Moscow Mule or two can't fix, just need to keep looking and hopefully can find a newer, nicer boat with fewer issues. How does your 228 do out here in the Puget Sound? Seems to me that a 228 would be just about the perfect boat out here and for what I'd use it for. Which is basically just fishing/crabbing/shrimping and taking short jaunts across to Edmonds or maybe even a Huskies football game through the locks.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You dodged a bullet. I had a similar situation where the pictures looked good online but the survey told a completely different story. It’s amazing how a few good pictures, at the proper angles, and with a quick edit can make a mediocre boat looks like a gem. You’re on the right track but, as mentioned before, it’s definitely a seller’s market for boats right now.

Luckydude is in NorCal but going from his posts he encounters some weather from time to time so it’s fair to assume the 228 (or even a 226/208 though you’ve ruled them out) will do anything you need in Puget Sound. One point of interest if crabbing (space for gear) is that only the 228 will likely have the deck space of your Arima (21 SR, right?).

Unrelated note:
What was your tow vehicle? The 228 loaded will weigh a bit more than the Arima. I’d think a ½ ton at least and wouldn’t rule out a ¾ ton (KYgrady tows his with a dually). Apologies if you already posted that but I couldn’t find it in the previous threads you started.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Indeed, and thanks for the advice. Being that I live in the PNW, I don't think I'd ever want a center console or open bow boat and that's one of the reasons why I like the 228. The 208 and 226 both seem like nice boats but I have a mooring buoy out in front of my beach cabin on Whidbey Island and the thought of having a notched or not fully enclosed transom doesn't sound very appealing to me. After that, the 232 Gulfstream in my opinion has kind of a funky designed cabin area with the bunk style upper sleeping arrangement and generally it has twin outboards. Which can get costly, are generally not as good on fuel economy as a lighter, single outboard boat and I've heard they're more difficult to trailer/tow since they have a 9'3" beam compared to the 228 with only an 8' beam. I'm trying to be patient, rather disappointed though as I thought this boat was going to be "the one". Oh well, nothing a Moscow Mule or two can't fix, just need to keep looking and hopefully can find a newer, nicer boat with fewer issues. How does your 228 do out here in the Puget Sound? Seems to me that a 228 would be just about the perfect boat out here and for what I'd use it for. Which is basically just fishing/crabbing/shrimping and taking short jaunts across to Edmonds or maybe even a Huskies football game through the locks.

I'm south of you, my harbor is Santa Cruz in CA. My wife wants to move to where you are, I looked at the temps, you guys need all the help you can get.

I think the 228 is the perfect big small boat or the small big boat. It is very seaworthy. But I'm a n00b. You need to look around and ask questions like I did. I'm friends with a guy who is friends with a guy who has been going out on the ocean for 40 years. He asked what boat could I go on to target tuna, 30-50 miles off shore. He said the 228.

So I think the 228 is your boat. I'm 100% positive if you got one you would be happy. Maybe you would upgrade some day but you would never regret your 228. It is a great boat. I love mine, I looked at the 208, too small.

Get a 228. You will love it. You can upgrade but you will love it.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 228, just north of you in howe sound, BC. Boat runs great, I haven't pushed it's limits in big seas yet but it's seems far more capable than the size indicates. Its very easy to run, has no bad habits that I have found It's just a pleasure to be on. My only real complaint would be the cabin, it's not as big as i thought.

I spent two nights sleeping in my 228 last summer in pender harbor. It works, but wouldn't plan a trip longer than 3 days. Once you crawl in to bed you quickly displace all the other things you had in the cabin. It works for the odd night here or there, but otherwise it's just a great storage area.
Plan is to spend Saturday night on it can't wait.

Been running the prawn traps full time this week and enjoying the deck space. Had an octopus eat most of prawns in on net today. Was just happy to see it, what a treat. Didn't get very good pictures as I opened the trap on the swim grid, didn't want to have to wrestle it off the boat.

I'll need to add a little diesel heater before this fall, did a few days of christmas and had issues keeping the windows clear. I was surprised how warm it was in the curtains, but need something to keep everything from fogging up.

Reactions: PointedRose

Pighunter

Reaction score
Keep looking! I'm in California and I shopped for over a year (mostly on the east coast) before buying my 228 from the second owner in North Carolina. I found it on craigslist it's a 1999 with a 2012 trailer. I made an offer over the phone contingent on a satisfactory survey. My surveyor water tested it on a local lake, he then gave me a very thorough report with his written appraisal of the boat. It was valued at $6000 more then I was paying. It cost me about $3000 to have it shipped out here but well worth it. Once it arrived on the west coast it's value went up again. Since last June when I bought it I've added a kicker and new electronics. All added up I have about $30,000 in it. My best advice is be patient the right boat will come along, good luck.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Keep looking! I'm in California and I shopped for over a year (mostly on the east coast) before buying my 228 from the second owner in North Carolina. I found it on craigslist it's a 1999 with a 2012 trailer. I made an offer over the phone contingent on a satisfactory survey. My surveyor water tested it on a local lake, he then gave me a very thorough report with his written appraisal of the boat. It was valued at $6000 more then I was paying. It cost me about $3000 to have it shipped out here but well worth it. Once it arrived on the west coast it's value went up again. Since last June when I bought it I've added a kicker and new electronics. All added up I have about $30,000 in it. My best advice is be patient the right boat will come along, good luck.
That's about what I'm trying to keep it at is under $30k when all is said and done. I understand it's definitely more of a seller's market right now with summer approaching, that being said, I still think this one is price a bit on the high side being that it doesn't come with a trailer and the seller is supposedly not willing to come down at all in price. I'll keep my eye out though, thanks again for all of the replies.

Reactions: Pighunter

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With all due respect, someone else will come along, not ask the questions you did, and Ingman (or the current owner) will sell it.

For what it's worth, I look at the boat from the pics and I see holes in the transom from a kicker bracket that appear to be exposed. I see mismatched seats. I see holes around the fuel filler caps that were filled sloppily with Marine Tex. I see aftermarket tabs that are installed in the wrong place. I see someone who couldn't take 5 minutes to install the FL numbers straight. In short, I see a boat that, while clean, appears to have been run hard and put away wet. Throw in the questionable history on the motors and I would run.

As for a '99 being too old a hull, my '99 225 is as solid as anything out there. It's also had a fair amount of sweat equity put into it, and it shows. Don't let an older hull scare you away. You will be able to tell if it's been maintained.

Karim

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My first post. Wow what a small world — so after doing some reading about the GW brand and the sea V2 hull and seeing the 228, I fell in love with the design and functionality of the walk around. And frankly I love the gall GW has in calling a 22 foot boat the Seafarer. Also I just don’t understand the rage with center consoles — why would you want to break up your space on a boat in this size range?

Anyway so I got on the GW website and built my dream 228 and pressed submit. Two days later I got an email from a dealership stating the 228 is phased out and I should consider a different design/style. For me there was no going back.

I downloaded the boat trader app found a clean looking 1999 and bought it the next day with very few questions mostly because I didn’t know what to ask. Chris, a super nice guy, did tell me that someone had inquired about the boat from the PNW. That was 3 days ago — So tonight I googled “seafarer” to learn more about the 228 and found this discussion board and then found this thread of a boat I just bought. I read everyone’s input and love the earnestness and advise and generosity. I know nothing about boats or boating and this is my first ever boat, but I’m really excited. Hi guys, I’m Karim

Reactions: Pighunter

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My first post. Wow what a small world — so after doing some reading about the GW brand and the sea V2 hull and seeing the 228, I fell in love with the design and functionality of the walk around. And frankly I love the gall GW has in calling a 22 foot boat the Seafarer. Also I just don’t understand the rage with center consoles — why would you want to break up your space on a boat in this size range?

Anyway so I got on the GW website and built my dream 228 and pressed submit. Two days later I got an email from a dealership stating the 228 is phased out and I should consider a different design/style. For me there was no going back.

I downloaded the boat trader app found a clean looking 1999 and bought it the next day with very few questions mostly because I didn’t know what to ask. Chris, a super nice guy, did tell me that someone had inquired about the boat from the PNW. That was 3 days ago — So tonight I googled “seafarer” to learn more about the 228 and found this discussion board and then found this thread of a boat I just bought. I read everyone’s input and love the earnestness and advise and generosity. I know nothing about boats or boating and this is my first ever boat, but I’m really excited. Hi guys, I’m Karim

Wait a second... you're saying they're discontinuing the 228 Seafarer model?

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Now that is surprising. The 228 is the best boat they ever made!

Reactions: Karim

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow, that really is a surprise. Marketing gurus said time to re invent the wheel.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Id trade 6-12 inches of deck space for cabin space on my seafarer. Could gain it back by adding a touch to the beam. I

Its a shame they didnt keep something between the marlin and gulfstream. Surely something like the islander would still sell! Take the best of the sailfish, islander, voyager, 265 and build something to fill the gap.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wondering if that means they will reconfigure the bunk setup in the 232. I prefer the 228 cuddy more.