Questions - how to restore an older grady - 28 years

Tarpon190

Reaction score
My GF and I bought an older Tarpon 190 - has the brown trim and red Grady White logo's

are there any thoughts as to making changes to her?

I am thinking about some pop up cleats on the bow and rear (make getting in and out easier and safer).

Replaceing the white plastic rod holders on the rear deck with some quality stainless ones and adding one or two to each side as well - would the rod holders w/ the GW logo be too over the top or the right touch?

Still have not found a good source for parts as of yet - guess I need to go to the local GW dealer?

Later,

Karl

drewmorton

Reaction score
I think its safe to say that any parts you might get from the dealer would be marked up quite a bit. Theres a ton of internet sites that have all the parts you might need. Just do a google search for "pop up cleat" or "rod holder". Youll have a ton of choices.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
There's nothing magic about parts from Grady, they get theirs from suppliers just like every other marine outlet. Likely as not, anything "original" is no longer in production, anyway, so you'll have to use current stuff ... which is available all over the place.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Would the rod holders with the Grady logo be over the top?

Over the top of what? Your budget?

Your budget pot for the restoration decides everything.

Tarpon190

Reaction score
I do not think that they were putting pole holders on them with logo's back then.

The only two pole holders on the boat currently - are two white plastic ones on the rear deck. They have to go - I did get a price for the GW logo one - 100$/pair. That is about the same as what the nice ones are running in West Marine.

I was currious as to what collector value these boat have - what are the guide lines are to fix them up. I know that you are not supposed to clean an old coin - that takes away from the value.

Thanks,

Red

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From my past experience you should get about 35 cents for every dollar you put into her. And that figure does not include YOUR labor, that goes for free. I hope your not doing this for money, I just don't think there's much of a market for boat restorations.
Anyway, scour the internet there's many more and in my opinion better places to buy parts than WM. Unless of course you can get someone's dealer pricing # from WM. If you have any friends in any kind of marine business they have or can get one!

haskindm

Reaction score
An old boat is an old boat, even if it is a Grady White. Before putting ANY money into this boat you should have a Marine Surveyor go over it carefully, unless you are an expert yourself. No sense putting new rod-holders and upholstery on a boat with rotten frames, waterlogged foam, and a soft transom. Not saying that is the case, but at 28 years old it is a distinct possibility. Determining a "collector item" is a tough call. I was in the car business in the late 70's and early 80's and many of the muscle cars were available for almost nothing. To us they were just old, tired, abused hulks, suitable only for the salvage yard. Now I see them being auctioned off for hundreds of thousands of dollars. How could we have guessed. A couple of old GTO's stuck in the barn and I would be retired now.... If you love the boat and the hull is sound, fix it up and enjoy it. If you are doing it to make money, chances are its not going to happen.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good Advice from Haskindm..
I have a 232 Gulfstream;I'm a proud Grady owner,but have never restored one.
I DID have a '67 Donzi Ski Sporter 16 restored. It's a good thing I love the boat and intend to keep it, 'cause the money that went into the restoration went off the scale.. It's just like a house..It costs more than you think and takes longer than you think.
I'll keep the Donzi forever, but if I DID try to sell it, I have a feeling it wouldn't bring NEAR what I've got in it, and it's considered a timeless, iconic boat.
Boy, talk about muscle cars...Had a friend with a '70 Challenger T/A.. He sold it in the mid-80's for peanuts...Crap, he could buy a house for what it would bring nowadays..
Good luck with your project..Like Haskindm says, plan on keeping it if you decide to tackle the restoration.

Tarpon190

Reaction score
Good moring all,

I know that this will be a work in progress for quite some time - that it will require a lot of work, and it may be more than I can chew.

What I was refering to was that it is the older color scheme - the bone color gel coat, brown stripe w the red logos on the side.

If it is not any bid deal - we just may start into the the work may redo the trim and logo to the newer blue ones.

Thanks,

Karl

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tarp, there's not a lot of orginal restoration work going on at this site for gradys.

I can see old Bertrams and the like.

Guys here are updating and restoring structural failed elements in the Gradys to keep them going for their own use, no trailer queen Sunday boats here.