Questions need help

Accuratepete

I am a new future 2002 Grady 282 sailfish owner come wensday. Question are I don't know what half the switches do as the owner died and kids could not answer a lot of my questions and also I seen a fuel select switch for aux and main I did not see 2 gas gauges either some switches I figured out but a lot of them were faded and not marked cAnt wait till next week to get it but concerned after finding out there are 2 tanks and never checked for two. Do the fuel tanks feed each other and do u need to change selector switch

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Congrats on the Sailfish! I love my 272. I would email Grady for the owners manual, they should get right back to you and that will answer a lot of your questions. There are two tanks, the switch on the dash should just run the gauge, on my 1999 there are manual valves in the rear by the fuel filters to switch tanks.

Make sure to post some photos!

Sharkbait282

Hey Pete, congrats on the boat, my wife and I are also new to a 2002 282 this past spring. The switches definitely get faded, but I think we've gotten them all figured out. The 2002 manual isn't really useful for the details on your topic. The attached photo is a panel from a boat we looked at that was in a lift full time with limited hours, you can clearly identify the order of switches and their assignments. Our boat has the same layout for all the critical items. Nav/anchor, courtesy lights, fuel tanks, as well as the bilge pumps, water pump, raw water wash down, and live well are all in the same positions. I think the one that's hiding at the left position in the bottom row is the horn.

The way that fuel tank switch works is that it changes which fuel sender the Yamaha gauge is reading for fuel tank level. So once you've confirmed you've got good fuel you can use in each tank, you can switch from one tank to the other. You can only look at the fill gauge for one tank at a time. It takes maybe 10-20 seconds for the new sender to fully update the Yamaha gauge, there's some damping on both ends of the system I think. Most of the time though I keep solid logs of what fuel went in and how fast that fuel is getting consumed.

I don't have a solution yet for re-labeling our switch panel, but we were fortunate to put over 120 hours on the motors this summer and experience is the best teacher! Feel free to get in touch with any questions, I'll try to be helpful!

Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,371