QUESTIONS--Towing a 208 w- a Grand Cherokee

PETRVS

Reaction score
OK--- having a major case of trailering phobia. Just bought the boat of my dreams - a lightly used 2006 208 and I have to trailer it a bit. The newer V6 grand cherokees are rated for 5000lb towing capacity, have 290 HP and 260ft lbs of torque. I would be pulling a 208 with a Yammy F150 on a #5200 class aluminum bunk trailer. Am wondering if this is is enough to get the job done- basically using to put in and take out for the season- and no major hills to deal with althrough it is about a 75mile trip to the mooring. Any thoughts are really welcome- Thanks.

:noob

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you plan to do this regularly, you are asking for trouble.
If you don't expect to drive 70 and maintain consistent speed over any hills you will likely be ok as long as your tongue weight is appropriate. Make sure your tranny isn't constantly shifting to maintain speed. If it is, kiss it goodby after a half hour.

I trailered a 20' grady for years with an F150 rated for 6600 lbs. HP was 220, torque 280. It didn't like hills at highway speed, but it got the job done.

reelserious

Reaction score
A few other suggestions: 1) Add a transmisson cooler to the Jeep. 2) Not sure what year Jeep, but most have a "tow" button, which locks out the overdrive. Be sure to use it. 3) Be sure to leave plenty of stopping distance between you and the vehicles in front of you.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can do it. I towed my 208 with a V6 Honda Ridgeline and it did ok, but it sure loved the gas, 8-9 mpg. It did have the towing package. Watch your stopping distances. I had urge brakes on 1 axle and had a fool stop on the interstate in front of me. It stopped straight and true so it can be done.
IM002789b.jpg

Interesting Angle
IM002783a.jpg

PETRVS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies- I feel better seeing that the Ridgeline is able to handle the load. Vehicle is a 2012 Jeep GC 4x4 and the trailer does have 1 of the axles w/ surge brakes.

cedarholm

Reaction score
Did you find the 'Tow' button?

On my Dodge Ram it's on the tip end of the shift stick on the steering column. I think mine says, 'Overdrive off'.

I installed electric brakes on my trailer, but I'm in fresh water.

billyttpd

Reaction score
Your Grand Cherokee will tow a 208..how well is another story,,as mentioned above your tranny will definitely get a workout....Have your Jeep gone over before you start towing regularly and keep the maintenance up...I tow my 208 behind a 2010 F-150 FX2 with the 4.6 no problem but that truck is rated for 9900 lbs.....keep in mind just because a vehicle is rated to tow 5000 lbs that doesnt mean you should hook up a 4999 lb trailer and not expect issues. I've heard many say give your vehicle a 1500-2000 cushion.

gw204

Reaction score
If it's 5000 or under, you can tow it. No need to worry. No offense to other posters, but saying you need a vehicle with a 7000 lb. capacity to tow 5000 lbs. is silly.

I used to pull my 1985 204 with an XJ Cherokee. I had no problems towing that boat and got something like 11 mph doing it. Heck, my Jeep has 189K on it now and I would hook up to a 208 tomorrow...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My dad pulled a Aquasport 246 from MD to Cape Cod with a 4.0 Cheroke but it had a maual trans and luckily nobody stopped short in front of him. If your car was a stick I'd say go for it but if it's an auto and doesn't have the tow package I'd worry.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think the amount of driving and distance is a factor here.

70-odd miles to-and-from the ramp twice a year shouldn't be a problem.

If he tows hundreds of miles up and down steep mountain grades then I would re-think the tow vehicle.

Driving habits would make or break it too. A smart driver can make a close-to-capacity- rig work for years.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I thought long and hard about buying a 208 and towing it with a Honda Ridgeline, 3.5L V6 and a 5000 towing capacity. It did fine and I had to tow it from Morehead City, NC to Columbia, SC. As I said it loved the gas, 8-9mpg when it was $4 a gallon. It stopped good also, but the Ridgeline weighed 4500 lbs and never was a speed demon. I did however trade the Ridge for a Z71 Suburban, no comparison there as far as towing. I loaded 4 adults in the Ridge, hooked up the Grady and went to Charleston one day, towed fine but I prefer the Surburban.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If you are towing it twice a year then it will be fine. If you can tow her dry with little fuel and gear all the better. We do alot of towing and folks often worry about the capacity to pull. Remember engineers rate the vehicle for safely towing and there is a built in margin of safety before failure of the vehicle. It is not published but there is no way a car company states 5000 pounds on the rating if failure occurs at 5100. Not advocating over loading a vehicle at all.

The real key to towing is stopping. I have a 4 runner with an 8 in it and it is rated for 7500 pounds and I have towed my 228 short distances with it but I much prefer my Tundra with its huge all wheel disc brakes. Your vehicle will tow your boat.

moccq

Reaction score
I started out with a 2003 Ford F150 , Triton 5.4l V8,4x4 350ftlb torque, automatic,3.55 rearend,front discs, rear drum braking..standard suspension with aftermarket Bilstein shocks, front shocks, rear springs, 2003 226 Seafarer F250 Yahama, LoadRite Trailer..I mention the above specs because IMHO these are the keys to towing.."Engine power, suspension,torque and braking", I could tow the package , however I always bogged down on a hill or highway incline ( basically down to 30-40mph and never able to get past 60mph (not that u would want to) and accelleration was pretty poor. The low torque was a problem in this truck, braking was also an issue , eg. I had to be very careful anticpating downhill offramps. I was always bring pushed around while underway, meaning the boat/trailer pushed and pulled the truck, lots of sway and motion in the cab..this was due to the suspension and although the gas Bilsteins helped a little it was noticable..ramp launch and pulling was not an issue ( using the 4x4)..see below..

Recently I traded in the 03' F150 for a 2011 F150 EcoBoost (Twin Turbo Charged 3.5L V6,@365hp), 6-speed automatic,420ftlb torque, sway control, automatic engine speed control when towing option, 4x4, Disc brakes all around, 3.73 gear ratio, better suspension components(heady duty gas shocks, coil spring overshock front/wishbone, heavy duty leaf springs(rated at 11k towing lbs), this truck and configuration is a totally different experience in towing..it is amazing ..highway and ramp performance are outstanding ..meaning I can accelerate on demand, no longer bogg down and can maintain speed and stop the rig when I want without having to pump the brakes and always wonder what's ahead on the the off ramp..I am in control when towing.. I actually test pulled the boat with the Ecoboot and a 2011 F250 (gas engine) and the V6 Ecoboost was a better performer.

I'm not trying to sell the 011 F150..my point is , the keys are more than just power. its power plus torque, braking and suspension..all working together to make it happen. Yes..the 011 F150 towed the boat , however I now realize the differences with the Ecoboost V6 package.

Hope this information helps..

Regards...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Mocq,
other than the Tundra, the new f150s would be my next choice in towing loads under 10,000 pounds. You are right it is about all that you say. The all disc brakes alone make a huge difference alone. I live in the mountains of western NC and I have used my 4 Runner with Toyota's iforce 4.7 liter V8 and yes it tows 7,500 pounds but the vehicle is not an ideal tow vehicle for the reasons you cite. On steep inclines I have to really watch the over rig speed as the boat can push the 4 Runner around going down hill. On that note pick up trucks in general have gotten beefier across brands in the past decade and more mass and longer wheel bases of the tow vehicle means better control in towing.

derx2

Reaction score
I tow my Grady 204 with a 5.7 Tundra now, but I have used my dads 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 v8. (TQ: 305 ft-lbs. @ 3600 rpm Hp 235 hp) for a shorter tow to the ramp and it did well.

I think a 2011Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 and Tow Package will be fine. Does your 208 have a hard top or extra trolling motor? I did not add that to the weight listing below.

Here is a estimate of your rig:

208 Hull, according to grady white --------2900 lbs
F150, according to Yamaha -----491
80 gallons gas ---480 lbs
Alu Trailer, according to Float on Trailer Co. -724 lbs
Misc gear on board 200 lbs
Total- 4795
-------------
Travel with 1/2 tank of fuel and you are 240 lbs less than my estimate