Quick Flush Port Adapater?

jrem

Reaction score
Has anyone found or made a good DIY flush port adapter for easy flushing on a Yamaha 4 stroke? I'd like to avoid having to hop over onto the swim platform and unscrew/rescrew the flush port every time I flush.

So the question: What have you rigged up to make flushing easier?

Thanks! Pictures would be great too if you have.

seasick

Reaction score
I use a quick connect adapter set that I get at Home Depot. It is the green one, plastic and about 5 bucks. It last two or three seasons before its spring get rusted. I put a matching adapter on my hose and nozzle so that when I want to flush, I unsnap the hose from the motor and plug in the garden hose. It is a lot easier than unscrewing the original fitting. You need a female coupler and a male plug. The nice thing is that the coupler on the garden hose, shuts off the water flow when the nozzle is disconnected. That way you don't have to run back and forth to turn the water on and off.
On the garden hose, you need the same arrangement; female coupler and male adapter to the nozzle.

jrem

Reaction score
Does that quick connect adapter reduce the flow rate? (more concerned when it's connected and in normal engine operation then when flushing)

I saw at lowes/home depot they have a quick connect brass fitting as well. Not sure it has the spring to stop water flow though.

seasick said:
I use a quick connect adapter set that I get at Home Depot. It is the green one, plastic and about 5 bucks. It last two or three seasons before its spring get rusted. I put a matching adapter on my hose and nozzle so that when I want to flush, I unsnap the hose from the motor and plug in the garden hose. It is a lot easier than unscrewing the original fitting. You need a female coupler and a male plug. The nice thing is that the coupler on the garden hose, shuts off the water flow when the nozzle is disconnected. That way you don't have to run back and forth to turn the water on and off.
On the garden hose, you need the same arrangement; female coupler and male adapter to the nozzle.

seasick

Reaction score
jrem said:
Does that quick connect adapter reduce the flow rate? (more concerned when it's connected and in normal engine operation then when flushing)

I saw at lowes/home depot they have a quick connect brass fitting as well. Not sure it has the spring to stop water flow though.

seasick said:

The funny thing about the Yamaha flush port if you have a Yami, is that NO water flows through it during normal operation. The fitting under the cowling goes nowhere.

The brass couplers dont last ant longer, so don't waste your money.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Seasick, I wondered about that.

The male yamaha fitting goes nowhere? Just blanked off ?

If so can just extend the smaller gauge yamaha hose to more forward and snap in a closed plug with the depot fittings.

GYP-SEA

Reaction score
I've been using the brass quick release hose fittings from Home Depot for the last 4 years. I've had to replace the female fitting on my garden hose from time to time because of taking the nozzle on and off but never had a problem from the male/female on the engins. :idea:

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Is it blocked off on the 2 stroke OX66's as well??? It sure would be nice to route those hoses to a much more convenient location to flush the engines... preferably inside the cockpit... possibly eve flush both at the same time??? I hate the balancing act getting to the hoses... no big deal if my boat was on land, but it's on a lift and it just seems a little too easy to go swimming one day...

seasick

Reaction score
LeapFrog said:
Is it blocked off on the 2 stroke OX66's as well??? It sure would be nice to route those hoses to a much more convenient location to flush the engines... preferably inside the cockpit... possibly eve flush both at the same time??? I hate the balancing act getting to the hoses... no big deal if my boat was on land, but it's on a lift and it just seems a little too easy to go swimming one day...
Yes, nowhere on the two strokes.
The potential issue with rerouting the hose is that it would have to move a lot to accommodate the full range of tilt. You don't want that hose breaking. I find the quick connect adapter fairly easy to work with.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Quick Flush Port Adapter?

I read a post last year about someone getting a flush adapter installed by the dealer. There is a company that makes a kit for this and I checked it but decided to do it myself with locally obtained parts. It took me a couple of hours, not counting the three trips to the hardware store.
This is not hard to do but one thing I found is that the water pressure at my dock is not strong enough to flush both engines at the same time. Nothing comes out the pisser on either engine if I flush both at the same time. I installed valves on the individual hoses, after the "Y" so that I can shut one off. This allows me to properly flush one engine at a time.
However, I question whether my engines are being properly flushed if the lower unit is down in the brackish water. Should I raise the engines?

seasick

Reaction score
Re: Quick Flush Port Adapter?

LUNDINROOF said:
I read a post last year about someone getting a flush adapter installed by the dealer. There is a company that makes a kit for this and I checked it but decided to do it myself with locally obtained parts. It took me a couple of hours, not counting the three trips to the hardware store.
This is not hard to do but one thing I found is that the water pressure at my dock is not strong enough to flush both engines at the same time. Nothing comes out the pisser on either engine if I flush both at the same time. I installed valves on the individual hoses, after the "Y" so that I can shut one off. This allows me to properly flush one engine at a time.
However, I question whether my engines are being properly flushed if the lower unit is down in the brackish water. Should I raise the engines?
If you can raise them out of the water, that is preferable. The flush will work in the water but as soon as the water stops, sea water will enter the lower sections. In addition, keeping the engines out of the water helps reduce slime and barnacle buildup. If your boat is in the water during freezing periods, the motors should stay down.