Quick question: Wireless phone charger - will it interfere with magnetic compass if mounted too close?

seasick

Reaction score
Great question. My guess is that it would if too close but what is too close?

Reactions: Finest Kind

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Or get a jump pack or something else that you could plug the wireless phone charger into, turn it on and see if there is any interference that way.

Reactions: Finest Kind

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Thanks guys, great answers!

Amazon will be delivering my new Sanscrut ROKK charger in a couple of days, I will let you know if it affects my compass when it’s mounted on that console “shelf” on the port side of the steering wheel.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Update: no interference with the Compass at all even though it’s mounted within 8” or so of it.

The Scanscrut ROKK recharger works great with my iPhone SE, fast recharging, with great spring loaded “arms” on the mount that hold the phone securely in place even in rough seas.

This is the one I bought:

My only complaint is it does not have an On/Off switch. I’m going to have to rewire it and add a toggle switch I guess.… I want to use the mount when the juice is off since it’s in a great location to see the screen while driving, but I’m not comfortable leaving the iPhone charging after it’s already reached 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: NealTrombley

seasick

Reaction score
Update: no interference with the Compass at all even though it’s mounted within 8” or so of it.

The Scanscrut ROKK recharger works great with my iPhone SE, fast recharging, with great spring loaded “arms” on the mount that hold the phone securely in place even in rough seas.

This is the one I bought:

My only complaint is it does not have an On/Off switch. I’m going to have to rewire it and add a toggle switch I guess.… I want to use the mount when the juice is off since it’s in a great location to see the screen while driving, but I’m not comfortable leaving the iPhone charging after it’s already reached 100%.
It is possible that like most good quality chargers for lithium batteries, the charger turns off when the battery is charged and does not trickle charge. Maybe you can message the manufacturer and ask

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It is possible that like most good quality chargers for lithium batteries, the charger turns off when the battery is charged and does not trickle charge. Maybe you can message the manufacturer and ask
I think that's actually a function of the phone as opposed to the charger? I'm not real tech savvy, though. However, I Ieave my phone connected to it's wall charger all night... or while driving connected to the car even after it's charged. Zero issues... and quite honestly, never even thought about it.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you saved me some work.
Based on your comments I did a quick search and it seems that leaving the iPhone on the charger for an extended period after it has reached 100% does no harm.
:)

Reactions: NealTrombley