Quick question

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Moving some things around on the boat. Raw water pickups are in the bilge (was in the forward fuel tank compartment) I need to run raw water to the forward livewell. I have 2 choices, 1-a flexible hose up thru the port rigging tube or 2-hard line thru 2 bulkheads. What would you guys do?? Im a little nervous about a flexible hose with that length of a run chaffing due to vibrations. Can a hard line to be run regular old pvc?? I can over drill the bulkheads and fill with epoxy.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No hard PVC. PEX a better choice if supported. Probably not AYC “code”.

Reactions: Chessie246G

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
My last boat had pex for all the fresh water, and it was intermittently supported. Lowes has started carrying PEX-A which is more flexible, and uses expansion fittings so no restriction on the flow, plus the fitting spends its life getting tighter, not trying to fall off. You can also pick up hole supports if needs be. That's the route I would take as long as the pipe won't be exposed to sunlight.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
With PVC you run the risk of it cracking and sinking the boat. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hose - that's what's done on thousands upon thousands of boats - yours is no different. Good quality, reinforced hose is perfect for this job. Cross-linked poly is great, too.

chrisk

Reaction score
Moving some things around on the boat. Raw water pickups are in the bilge (was in the forward fuel tank compartment) I need to run raw water to the forward livewell. I have 2 choices, 1-a flexible hose up thru the port rigging tube or 2-hard line thru 2 bulkheads. What would you guys do?? Im a little nervous about a flexible hose with that length of a run chaffing due to vibrations. Can a hard line to be run regular old pvc?? I can over drill the bulkheads and fill with epoxy.
I did the same thing on my Explorer ('92 246G). I used flexible hose. Been fine for 25+ years.