Quick update on New York Boat Show

seasick

Reaction score
I went to the NY Boat Show on Wednesday, opening day. Here are my overall initial thoughts.
Granted I did go the first day and early but nevertheless there were no crowds. Quite the opposite. I left at about 5PM and the attendance had picked up but still not very crowded.
Pretty much every dealer had show special pricing. For boats, the discount off of MSRP ( when listed) varied between 10 and 15% on average. The MSRP of a lot of boats was steep. The sales folk were eager to make deals and were in some instances borderline 'pushy'.
As expected there were a ton of DCs/bow riders. They are still the more popular choice and many of the boats on display were huge!
There were no trawler style cruisers. I suppose I may have missed them but I don't think so.
There were very few pontoons, that could be a supply issue, I am not sure.
It seemed to me that there were fewer PWCs and kyacks than in previous years.

The new Yamaha 350 was on display but to be honest, it may have been an empty shell with a new cowling. Usually there would be a cut open model showing the internals but not in this case.
There was a Merc 600HP V10 on display. Until you stand next to it, you can't really appreciate how big it is!

I was very interested in checking out the Grady 's fit and finish especially since at previous shows, it seemed to have declined a bit. There are still some quality issues, at least on the Grady's I climbed onto. For example, the rear bench seat on the 232 was extremely difficult to either close or open. The salesman couldn't do it by himself, neither could I ( We are both geezers).

I pulled out the transom fresh water spray and looked into the holder. I could see and press the foam core. It wasn't glassed or sealed as far as I could tell.

The two lids on the overhead electronics boxes were poorly centered in the openings leaving unequal edge spacing. I was not able to open the aft bilge locker. It was locked so I couldn't see if the edges of the cutouts were sealed. To be fair, the boat looked nice and I am being picky but the detail wasn't up the say the level on the Pursuits.
Other than the sheer size of a lot of DCs and CCs, nothing really wowed me.

Coastboater

Reaction score
Heading to the Charleston boat show Saturday. I have a buddy that we try to go every year that drives down from Columbia.
The show is decent size. Takes up all the convention center and about double that outside. Usually a good mix of boats and accessories.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice report, thanks for the comments. The pricing just seems crazy to me, but I'll admit most things are that way today. I hope the industry keeps motoring along and doesn't price itself out.