Racoons

Gianni

Reaction score
Apparently even with shrink wrap on- racoons game into my sailfish and reeked havik. Haven't had a chance to go to boat but is there any type of deterant for these bastards. And if there is shit in my cabin- any best way to freshen inside the boat. These guys are horrible

seasick

Reaction score
Unfortunately they are hard to deter especially after getting in once. When storing make sure no food, old potato chip bags , candy plastic baits etc. Remove as much of the furnishings that you can like cushions, etc. The raccoons are often looking for a cozy place to nest and give birth. They like to chew too and will chew wires, knobs, rubber things etc.

Some say that moth balls work. I am not sure perhaps others can chime in. On my boat, I discovered that there were a few ways that animals could get into the cabin by climbing under the gunnels where there was a small opening into the cabin. I cut some stiff metal mesh ( like the decorating mesh you might use to make a radiator cover and formed it into a 'plug that tightly fit into the opening under the gunnels) It has to be tightly wedged or the critters will push it out of the way.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nothing a little rat poison and constant checking (put a door in) can't address.

Topjimmy

Reaction score
I live on a fresh water Canal and we have lots of them and they try to get under the house And the boat and Yep they HATE Moth Balls the only problem is the inside of your boat will smell like Grandma's House:) so I just spread them around the outside under the boat and that seems to work for Racoons and mice

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure if it will work for coons, but I have a radio always playing in my cabin, just loud enough to hear when next to the boat faintly. It would be loud enough for critters and think it is occupied. I did this out of desperation of some cats getting in the boat and leaving their marks.
Since the radio, no more intrusions. Might be worth a try.

seasick

Reaction score
I knew a fellow boater who did the same thing but he was a bit hard of hearing so the radio was somewhat loud!

Gianni

Reaction score
So apparently they are still living in there. I haven't had the chance to go and see the boat got personal reasons. Person I spoke to also mentioned moth balls. I'm guessing I'm gonna have no choice but to try that moth ball idea or worst case get an exterminator to trap them. Just worried they'll know where to come back once released. I hope they didn't do any damage on the inside- I haven't been able to asses it yet.

Thanks for all the replies

REELNUTTZ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
They like it dark and quite ..... Take mothballs and place the inside of sock(s) and if you have something that vibrates, plug it in and leave along the transom.
The smell of the mothballs (outside the transom area) and constant vibrating noise will discourage them. And YES I'm speaking from experience!!!