racor spin-on fuel filters

tony-sally

Reaction score
Had a filer problem on my 250 yamaha four strokes the filter in the VST tank on one engine was pluged with a fine white power after repairing cleaned and replaced the filter in other engine this was at end of season
my dealer saided the fine power was caused by the e-10 in fuel they said to start useing sta-bil all season and this would help by coating the tanks has anyoe else this problem? and primery racor fuel filters are 10- microns does anyone run 2- microns? trying to catch anything befor it gets to VST filters costly job to change
any info will help
Thanks in advance Tony 33 grady

seasick

Reaction score
I have hear of this white powder problem. As I recall, it's not E10 per se , it had something to do with the actual VST tank alloy. You should do a web search to find old post on this or other forums.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have seen this white powder in new-to-me motors that have sat. The thought that it is the actual VST tank makes sense. If the aluminum oxidizes some in a period of little use (over the winter etc) I can understand how this would happen.

We picked up a small 18' Cape Craft last fall for a steal and the internal poly fuel tank has not been used in some time and I was planning on putting a 1 or 2 micron filter after the 10 micron to prevent crud in the system. The boat has a 90hp Merc carb 4 stroke and the carbs have no tolerance for dirty fuel and they are a PITA to remove.

The thing I would consider on your boat is to make sure the flow rates of a 2 micron filter will not starve your motors. The little 90hp I plan on doing this to I figure won't be an issue, but a large motor could be I would think under heavy load, planning etc. Although if this powder is the actual VST tank an extra filter won't help much.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Is the VST aluminum or magnesium alloy? Just asking ...don't know. I run ring free with an ethanol stabilizer in it at every fill up. My tech folks never mentioned I had this issue when I had the VST changed. It might suggest that the ring free works or they simply did not bring it to my attention. With that said, Fire93 might be onto something in regards to the size of the fuel filter. Assuming the vessel size or filter size is the same as a 10 micron, the 2 micron might restrict flow. Now if they increase the filter size to compensate for reduced flow then you're good to go I assume.

seasick

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Is the VST aluminum or magnesium alloy? Just asking ...don't know. I run ring free with an ethanol stabilizer in it at every fill up. My tech folks never mentioned I had this issue when I had the VST changed. It might suggest that the ring free works or they simply did not bring it to my attention. With that said, Fire93 might be onto something in regards to the size of the fuel filter. Assuming the vessel size or filter size is the same as a 10 micron, the 2 micron might restrict flow. Now if they increase the filter size to compensate for reduced flow then you're good to go I assume.
If the powder is being made in the vst, an additional filter isn't going to help. The vst screen will still clog IMO

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both Ring Free Plus and Yamaha Fuel Conditioner and Stabilizer Plus contain compounds that protect the inside of the VST from oxidation caused by sulfates in ethanol containing fuel.

I suspect that several other fuel conditioners like Marine Stabil will also prevent the dreaded white powder corrosion from forming.

Slacktime

Reaction score
I have been running 2 micron filters for the past 4 years without problems. They are rated at 60GPH so not a problem with restriction. Everything stays clean.

tony-sally

Reaction score
Slacktime said:
I have been running 2 micron filters for the past 4 years without problems. They are rated at 60GPH so not a problem with restriction. Everything stays clean.

Slacktime I,am thing about running 2 micron filters I have twin 250 what size engines have you been running
2 micron's on
thanks in advance Tony 33 grady Sally Ann

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Slacktime said:
Instead of the 10 micron spin-on fuel/water seperator filter? I thought about it for my F300 but was afraid of restriction.

Slacktime

Reaction score
I'm running the 2 microns on a pair of Yamaha F225s

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I had the same issue with my Honda BF225. I've since gone to the 2 micron filter but pre-season maintenance now includes VST tank removal and a thorough cleaning along with star-tron at every fill up. Sta-bil for the off season. I use map sensor cleaner and spray/rinse several times till no more crud comes out of all the chambers of the VST. The Honda has a fine mesh screen that sits under the high pressure pump that can't be removed without destroying it. This is where the crud builds up on mine, not sure about the Yammies. Ethanol has no place in a marine motor, wish we had an option.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, 2 microns are S3220SUL. Not sure the thread size. Fit same as the previous Yamaha 10 micron filters.

I have replaced the VST filters a couple of times so far and both times, the screens had zero corrosion or white stuff a lot of folks are experiencing.

My success I have to believe has been due to the Startron and Ring Free Plus treatments in every tank.

Yamaha upgraded the Ring Free to Ring Free Plus to battle that corrosive affect of the Ethanol and also Startron does this as well. This must actually work as evidenced by the screens on the VST have always been clear.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
SkunkBoat said:
Are the 2 micron filters Racor S3220SUL? Do they have the small thread (11/16) like an S3213?
I think you need the clear bowl to go with this particular filter. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

nerd

Reaction score
I had the Racor 2 micron filter on for a season and then dumped it because I had an issue where I needed to replace the filter but the water bowl seized to it. I also had a marine mechanic tell me it wasn't a great idea because of the filter's size, not so much the fuel flow, that if obstructed it would restrict flow a lot quicker than the Yamaha would (and that there was still the onboard filter and the VST to stop it before it got anywhere near the more important stuff).

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It is highly recommended to change the 2 microns every 75 to 90 hours .
I've been changing mine at about 100 hours with no problem so far.
The clear bowl does get very tight. There was a run of bad plastic fuel bowls I had heard. After I spin off the fuel filter with the bowl on it I take it to my workbench and hold it in the vice while I spin off the filter to separate them.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
On my old boat I had clear bowl and S3227. Liberal amount of motor oil on gaskets and only hand tighten. never a problem after I learned that.
Thinking of putting on two S3213 with clear bowl. The clear bowl is a confidence builder when you can see the gas... but the big plus about it is the drain. You can NEATLY drain some gas off before unscrewing the filter...no more gassy hands and bilge!...or dissolved driveway... The down side is $30 filter (x2) vs $10 filter.
I have 2 new Sierra filters from the PO so I'll probably just put them on.
Oh...just thinking...you really only need one of them to have a clear bowl to see the gas....same gas....

I don't think I'll go the 2micron route as a primary filter. As said, might clog up sooner?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If worried about clogging up sooner, then change fuel stations. The clear bowl also will help to show debris in the bottom which can help as a gauge to how bad the fuel station is about changing their filters.

I find after 100 hours, that there is some of the brown debris in the bottom of the bowl, so what I can't see is in the filter. At one time, I had some vacuum gauges mounted and they passed the vacuum limit with no issue for the 200HP motors, so I am not afraid of them clogging.

You are right about the abilty to drain the fuel. Lots less mess and fuel spilled. Just put a used plastic water bottle under the drain and no mess!

I would rather change these filters than the $70 metal filter on the yamaha's and also the VST. A lot more work and expense to change those. :mrgreen: