Radar for 2023 285 Freedom

Annie1996

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
After nearly a year with it, I absolutely love this boat. The one thing I thought I wouldn't really need was a radar, except for the occasional extreme conditions causing low/no visibility. Well, I encountered that this week and although I was able to manage my way out of it, I feel that a radar is definitely in order for this boat, especially as I do go out on long hauls. Looking for recommendations on what to get and any other comments. Would prefer to stick with Garmin. TIA.

seasick

Reaction score
If you don't want to or can't add add another display screen, you should go with a Garmin device. Based on how I read your needs, you don't need a high end system. Something like the GMR 18HD would probably be a good match

Reactions: Annie1996

Coastboater

Reaction score
I had a Garmin 18HD3 on a Back Cove and was happy with it. Check Garmin’s site of compatibility with your existing chartplotter, although they’re pretty much good with anything above the echomap series.

Reactions: Annie1996

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
What Garmin chartplotter do you have? If you don't have a magnetic heading source (autopilot?) consider adding a Garmin SteadyCast sensor. Raday impossible to use if you are stopped in the fog or trying to sort out where you are. Can get you in real trouble.

Any of the Garmin GMR18 radars would work. I have a GMR18 Fanthom closed array and a GPS 24xd (improved GPS and heading sensor).

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I have Garmin Fantom 18 and I have strong opinions. I fish and I didn't put autopilot on until this summer, put the radar on right away.
I really wish I had done the reverse. Once you have autopilot, especially if you troll for fish, but even if you don't, once you have it you will just wonder why you didn't put it on day 1. I use it *every* single time I run the boat. Every time. Autopilot rocks.

I have used the radar but not a lot. Why? I don't trust it, it doesn't see every boat. Boston whalers are a great example, it almost never sees those. So even if you have radar, you still need to be on the lookout.

That said, I did grow to like a little bit more a recent tuna outing in Bodega bay. One of the days was really foggy, all of us were trolling in the same area, radar was the only way you didn't cut everyone off. So it helped there but I still don't trust it to see everything.