Radar Mount options?

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Looking into options for mounting a radar dome on my 96 272 sailfish. I recently acquired a 4KW Raytheon unit in like new shape and am planning on making it the spring project. The issue I have is that I trailer in and out to the ramp on a several time per week bases. I think the radar dome is going to be pretty tall especially if I put it on a raised mount – from what I read higher is better. I was thinking up at lease 4-5 inches. So wondering if anyone is using a hinged folding mount and how that works with the cabling ect. Or if you are using a fixed mount and trailer have you had any problems?

Thanks

Chris

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Radar mount

Hi, Chris. I'm planning the same type of set up on the to of my Gulfstream. But i'm not going to try any type of hinged mount. I will plan my trailering route to avoid low branches, ect. the big trucks keep the trees trimmed pretty well. I think a hinged mount would just leave A chance for rattling and shaking. Plus you would need A lot of slack in the cables. Those are just my thoughts. Good luck! Soon will be the spring Coho!! Joe.

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Joe,

Agree on the wire issue and that hinging it would make a mess. I think I am at something over 12' now and the dome will be bumping against 13 feet. I only have one route to the ramp luckily its only about 2 miles - might need to do some midnight tree trimming. You ever come up to Door County with your boat? I was sort of thinking about trying to get a Lake Michigan Grady owners club started.

Chris

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Radar mount

Hi, Chris, I was on washington island this year, late oct. I had my warrior backtroller smallie fishing with our club, walleyes unlimited. My Grady came from a man in fish creek, the boat spent it's life in door county until I bought it a year and a half ago. Not many Gradys down this way. I keep mine in a slip at northpoint and know of only one other. Joe.