Radar mount

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Hi all and Happy Holiday!

I just received my Simrad 3G radar and Simrad NSS8 from Boe Marine (great experience!) and am now focusing on the proper mount. I've been looking at Seaview and Edson aft angled 10" mount after reviewing the suggested mounting locations (10" above a 6'6"+ wide hardtop for full 25 degree scanning).

I will need to order the shim for correct leveling of the unit while underway. Any input on what angle shim you have used or other info would be appreciated.

This will be mounted on a 272 Sailfish.

Thanks!

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thought I have a Garmin radar, I was told the fore/aft angle didn't matter much at all as long as it was anywhere close while on plane. As I recall, they said the units have a pretty wide (vertical) beam, which is part of how they accomodate bouncing up and down while running. For what it's worth, mine is aimed slightly down (forward) while at rest.

GulfSea

Reaction score
You're going to love that set up. I have the older BR24 radar with HDS-8's (2). I had a fabrication shop build a stand for my radar dome so it would have the optimum angle/height and couldn't ask for it to perform better.

JeffN

Reaction score
I found a square box sort of mount that is adjustable and about 8" high. I installed that a few years ago and after trying a few different angles have it dialed in. It is not quite as nice looking as the mounts on the angled stem kind of arrangement but I think the angle I ended up with not one of their standard angles. I would have had the angeled mount and a shim for optimum picture. The mount I purhased is well built of aluminum and powder coated and has held up well.

alashley

Reaction score
I have the Garmin GMR20 on a 10" Seaview mount on the front of the hardtop. We just kind of swagged the
downward angle. Shimmed under both the bottom of the unit and under the back of the Seaview. Through-bolted the
hardtop with large fender washers on the underneath. The mount came with sleeves for the bolts. I believe we used
3/8". The install was done in 2006.
I noticed the other day what appeared to be spider cracks radiating out from the drill holes. Took the mount off and there
WERE spider cracks both top and bottom of the hardtop. Obviously the stress of a unit that size swaying back and forth was
affecting the drill holes, even with sleeves. It had to occur with the direct contact to the hardtop.
We took a piece of 1/4" starboard and oversized it to the base of the Seaview mount. We took another piece and did the same
to the underside of the hardtop where the bolts, fender washers and nuts attach. This spreads out the stress since there is
nothing directly attached to the hardtop.
If you are in heavy seas, the rocking and rolling and vibrations are transferred throughout the boat and anything mounted
on the hardtop is at the end of that swaying action that occurs. Think antennas.
I have the heavy Seaview mount and the Garmin flying saucer size closed array. It is probably 40 pounds on the roof.
Just something for your consideration. Hope this is helpful.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Great info!

alashley: I was contemplating use of the 10" mount but had reservations for just that reason. Do you think the 5" mount would have worked just as well since the mount is located near the front of the hardtop? I like the Seaview mounts but am leaning towards the Edson as it has a designed in 4 degree forward angle.I

alashley

Reaction score
Tom T,
I cannot speak as to whether a 5 or 10" Seaview is better. My Sailfish has a big hump 10" back from the leading edge.
I will say that most of the GW that have Furuno are mounted on short bases with the fronts extending forward of the
leading edge. Most of the Furuno are 15" wide and can fit in the space ahead of the hump. Same applies to the other
smaller closed arrays.
I believe a 5" might clear the hump, but the 10" is all that was available when we did the install. Remember you must
leave space behind/under the dome to drill a hole in the hardtop for the cable into the radio box. You need someplace
to roll up the extra cable. I have the Garmin network on the boat, so everything is tied into the black box router.
Again, as far as the angle, we just looked at other boats in the marina and tried to emulate the angle. So far it seems
to work. I try not to run at night. The radar is used mostly for weather, early morning departures and unsettled conditions.
However, you will be surprised at how large an aircraft carrier appears even at 7 miles.
This was a self-install project. If you take time to look at the dimensions of the equipment (base and array) and carefully
measure, you should not have problems. A key issue is whether you want the edge of the Simrad to be even with the leading
edge of the hardtop or slightly ahead.
I hope this has been helpful.

JeffN

Reaction score
I would think that if the 5" would work it would be a better choice as the lever on the 5" is half the 10". Most of the ones I see locally are using the 5".

1998sailfish

Reaction score
JeffN said:
I would think that if the 5" would work it would be a better choice as the lever on the 5" is half the 10". Most of the ones I see locally are using the 5".

My thoughts exactly. The Edson mount routes the wire through a watertight connector, dropping directly into the overhead compartment. I will be mounting the NSS8 in the dash electronics box, replacing the door with Starboard. At least that's the plan so far.........

I'm trying to avoid looking up at the screen. The only negative that I can see is that IF I decide to purchase a second screen I will need to use a portion of the overhead box for screen #2 :hmm .

1998sailfish

Reaction score
alashley said:
Tom T,
If you take time to look at the dimensions of the equipment (base and array) and carefully
measure, you should not have problems. A key issue is whether you want the edge of the Simrad to be even with the leading
edge of the hardtop or slightly ahead.
I hope this has been helpful.

:hmm

Good point! I could order the forward lean unit with 4 degree forward tilt..........