Radar mounting on hardtop pics

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm looking at the Simrad Halo 24 for my 228 hardtop. I've seen discussions on here about mounting the dome on the hardtop but not seen very many pics of them mounted. I've used the search on here and it doesn't pull up many pictures either.

I'm planning on mounting mine on the flat area of the hardtop in front of the hump on a 6" Scanstrut. Should shoot over everything and not be overly tall for clearance issues. Haven't decided on whether forward leaning or aft leaning?

Figured I'd start a thread and everyone post pics of your domes mounted on the hardtop. Doesn't matter what size boat you have, just post the pics and what you used to mount them on like wedge, strut, etc.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Have the Halo 24 mounted directly on mine, mostly for bridge clearance on our canals. Have a small Wedge under it, had to flip the search light upside down, but used the same holes. I can get more detail over the weekend, was an easy install though.20201203_155120.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've seen those. Looking for personal install info too from our members, not just random internet pics. The search on GG didn't turn up much unless I didn't use the right words.

Ling king

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Check out my avatar. Radar is on the lower front section of the top. I also have a satellite compass antenna (SCX- 20) behind it. Radar works perfect all the way around.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Check out my avatar. Radar is on the lower front section of the top. I also have a satellite compass antenna (SCX- 20) behind it. Radar works perfect all the way around.

What dome is that? Tried zooming in,,, Lowrance maybe?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tortuga Bob, Interesting on that spotlight mounted this way. How good does this work? Is there any substantial glare when using? I have been trying to find a solution for a light and would like to have one that can pan or move with a remote. My other option pending now is to mount the 10" LED bar light under the pulpit.

Reactions: ocdansar

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine is flush, no wedge. Can you mount yours on the actual hump with a wedge in the back to get it to level out?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Prefer not to have to move all the stuff on my top. Front overhang is what I'm looking at.

20180910_193212.jpg

Reactions: ECO

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gotcha, actually, you might have an issue with the radar mounted too close to the other sensors like the XM weather and not sure if that is a Pilot1 or some other similar device.
The radar mounting instructions says not to have anything like that in the radar beam and closer that 6' if I recall. However, I do see folks mounting closer than the 6'. I moved all my sensors to other locations to be on the safe side.
So that means to me, that you would really need to raise up the radar so it can be above those other devices.
You should be able to find the installation instructions online and review before the purchase so you can make some decisions on the mounting.

From the picture, it looks like you have room near center on the hump area to mount the radar flush with the wedge, then it will be above those sensors, but again, distance might still be a factor.

Honestly, it is not an easy decision and hate to drill holes and run wires to find out an issue later....:(. I am just happy mine worked out since this radar is way better than my older 3G unit which was impressive when it came out.

Reactions: Fuzz and Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, that's a Point-1 GPS along with the XM-Weather antenna.

I was planning on going with the 6" Scanstrut on the front of the hardtop. That should raise it high enough for the beam to be in a clear view. Unless you have a Marlin with the huge hardtop, I don't see how you could ever get anything 6' away from other equipment.

scnapt-150-01-2.jpg

Reactions: Fuzz and ECO

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You may be right. Looked at it again, I think I can make out Furuno on it.

Reactions: Fuzz

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Don't sweat the "6 feet". NOBODY with a grady hardtop has antennas 6 feet away.

As for height; yes you might have some degradation of returns behind the boat. Unless you are in reverse it doesn't mean much...
If you are running from a storm you will still see it on radar

Reactions: Fuzz and Ky Grady

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
RobertH, no issues upside down on the Spotlight, but had to do it to mount Radar. I did use 4000 on the seam since it was not meant to be upside down. I literally used the same holes, never really use it anyway, but tested it the other day, after 2 years still moves, pans, and works good.

Reactions: Fuzz

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_7970.jpg
    IMG_7970.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 44

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like those mounts. Either look really nice and will serve the purpose.
In my case, with flush mount, I barely clear the bridges and trees. I figure I am at or near 13' 3" now, so any mount would keep me from trailering. As it is now, I have to dodge trees and in some cases, I have special routes to drive to get around trees that the state/city has not kept up trimming the clearance enough.
Keep that in mind for those that trailer their boats .